allowed 1200 calories a day, how can you cut 500 calories to

Options
Question,they say to cut 500 calories a day and you will lose one pound a week. If you are only allowed 1200 calories a day and you cut 500,,, then that's 700 calories! Don't they also say that will put you in starvation mode??? Can someone explain>?? Thanks

Replies

• mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories a day is cutting 500 calories a day. Typical person needs about 1800+ calories a day to function (without exercise) all depending on personal metabolism.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    MFP already cuts your calories - you don't have to cut it further...
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Where are you finding this "cut 500 calories"? Because 1200 calories is your deficit already. You've cut calories, to the tune of about 800 if 2000 is a regular day. There is no need to cut anymore. I guess I just don't understand where you've gotten that info SIMULTANEOUSLY. No need to cut on a deficit.
  • Yogie14
    Yogie14 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My fitness pal allows me 1240 calories a day
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    If MFP is allowing you 1240 that includes the 500 calorie reduction.
  • Yogie14
    Options
    And when I started eating excercise calories I gained weight. I'm up 15 pounds,,, frustrated
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    And when I started eating excercise calories I gained weight. I'm up 15 pounds,,, frustrated

You may be overestimating how many calories you burn through exercise or underestimating the calorie count in your food. This is why I only eat about a third of my exercise calories and don't weigh myself. I see my results of weight loss and fitness in the mirror and tape measurements of my body.
  • Yogie14
    Options
    No loss in any way,, but when I burn 500 at gym,, it leaves me at around 700.When I started eating excercise I started gaining. So confused!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    No loss in any way,, but when I burn 500 at gym,, it leaves me at around 700.When I started eating excercise I started gaining. So confused!
    It's simple. Your body is only using 700 calories to function. No wonder you're gaining. You need to eat!
  • AKFatBoy
    AKFatBoy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting? I have quite a bit of fat to lose, and after seeing some good losses initially, I thought weight training would speed it up. GAINED weight, but the tape and clothes are telling a different story.
  • Yogie14
    Options
    When I started eating those calories I started gaining!!!!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    When I started eating those calories I started gaining!!!!
    Then as many have stated, you are overestimating what you're burning.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You could be overestimating the calories you burn or underestimating the calories you're eating. Do you wear a heart rate monitor to help you keep a more accurate count of calories burned? I assume you have MFP set up to lose 1 pound per week.

Try eating back only half of your estimated exercise calories and see if that does anything.
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you open up your food diary, we can offer suggestions.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Eating 1200 calories a day is cutting 500 calories a day. Typical person needs about 1800+ calories a day to function (without exercise) all depending on personal metabolism.

Pretty much.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options

You may be overestimating how many calories you burn through exercise or underestimating the calorie count in your food. This is why I only eat about a third of my exercise calories and don't weigh myself. I see my results of weight loss and fitness in the mirror and tape measurements of my body.

I agree. I do the same if I am hungry and I have no calories left then I eat maybe half back but no more. I do weigh however just not often. Maybe every 2-3 weeks.

good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • mrscollins1112
    Options
    I am allowed 1270 a day right now. I burn anywhere from 300 to 600 on a regular day and i usally eat them all back unless I am full which isnt often haha.

I have had nothing but success with it. I do tend to go over my amount some days just to keep my body working and not hit a spot where it gets comfortable:)

Are you weighng out all your food? I found that helped me tons when i weighed EVERYTHING i ate unless it was pre measured for me:)
  • MaggieKillNMaul
    MaggieKillNMaul Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem in the past. I think it's also the KIND of calories you take in. My trainer suggested a little protein before and after a work out (maybe a low calorie, low sugar protien shake before, and plain greek yogurt after). Protein also helps you feel more full, and helps fuel your body during a workout. Maybe take a look at your nutrition the past couple of weeks, and see how many carbs, protiens, and fats you take in. A lot of weight loss is what you're eating, and not entirely how much...i.e. you can cut your calories back and eat 1200/day in Twinkies, but you're not going to lose weight because of the amount of sugar you're taking in.
  • smiley61
    Options
    what is the proper amount of Carb% Protein% and Fat%?

Dr. Oz suggests 40% 40% 30% to prevent stroke what about weight loss?
  • wmgaver
    wmgaver Posts: 1
    Options
    I think I know what you are asking because I'd like to know that too. My doctor told me to continue to eat 1200 calories, even though I am burning about 500 calories running, or doing p90x. This leaves my net calories at 700 per day. I'm not sure I agree with the doctor or not- because if you read P90 x, they recommend adding calories. So I'm not sure what the answer is, but if you find out let me know!