How many pounds do you have to lose to drop a dress/pant siz

Options
I am wondering approximatelty how many pounds lost equals a size less. I have lost 15 pounds and my clothes are not really fitting any looser. I have a pair of pants that are one size down that I bought to track my progress outside of the scale and I cannot fit into them either. I am trying not to get discouraged but I keep reading about people who have lost less than me going down sizes. Is this normal? I am starting to think that my scale is playing tricks on me and I have a case of the Mondays!

Replies

• hselby87
    hselby87 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It depends. Everyone is really different. Some people lose more weight in their tummies than anywhere else. Others, like you I suspect, lose weight all over at the same rate. So, while you may have lost 15 pounds, you have likely lost only a pound here and a pound there. It is all balanced out all over your frame from your head all the way to your toes (yes, even your toes get skinnier). Give yourself about 10 more pounds and you will likely be in a new pant size. I have lost 22 and am just now into a new size. You are doing great!
  • xmandadollx
    xmandadollx Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That makes me feel better :) Thanks!
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have lost 19 / 20 lbs and am ready to go for smaller pants this weekend!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    For me, I'd say between 5 - 7 kg (so about 11 - 15 pounds). I've lost 22 kg and gone from an Auusie 18/20 to 10/12 (around US 14 - 6 ish). Recently though I have seen any movement on the scales but my pants are a bit looser around the waist - I'd guess that is related to adding strength training into the mix.
    Don't get discouraged, just keep going and you'll get there.
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    I cannot wait until I go down a pant size! And for my toes to get smaller and all other parts of me! lol
  • Maisietotes
    Maisietotes Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb from Weight Watchers: twelve pounds = one size.
  • dr3am3r
    dr3am3r Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I cannot wait until I go down a pant size! And for my toes to get smaller and all other parts of me! lol

haha love it!!!:laugh:
  • lbibbens
    Options
    First thing I want to say is Congratulations on losing the 15 pounds!!
    Next, there could be multiple reasons but without knowing your diet, I could only guess. I will say that you're definitely losing inches and the only reason you may not have lost the pants size is that you may have a little too much sodium in your diet which is aiding in your body holding on to water weight that it will eventually as you keep on this path, let go of....

You're on the path that most people just talk about and never do!! Be very proud of yourself and of your accomplishment thus far.
    Happy Monday...
  • Mskraizy
    Mskraizy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I normally judge by inches. When I go down an inch, my jeans start fitting looser. I can't really put a target on pounds because I have been in the same range of 184-187 for about a month and went down 2 sizes in jeans. I think inches would matter more. =/
  • AvonLucyR
    AvonLucyR Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Everyone's bodies lose differently. Don't be discouraged...you are losing weight and getting healthier with each pound! I also imagine it makes a big difference what you are eating - sodium and sugar content may still lose the pounds, but not lose the inches as quickly. Healthier foods will probably reduce fat quicker than processed foods. Congrats on your 15 pounds!!! Keep up the great work! Also, exercise (especially cardio) makes a big difference in inches...I believe that brings you to smaller sizes faster.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 pounds and though my clothes are looser, none of them need replacing yet :/

Hope this helps you feel better :) we are all built differently and as long as you are going in the direction you want I wouldn't worry about clothing size yet :)

Great job on the 15 pounds! That's awesome!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I've heard 10 lbs = 1 size

I've lost almost 150lbs and went from a size 24 down to an 8 so for me it's pretty accurate!
  • bones24
    bones24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It depends. Everyone is really different. Some people lose more weight in their tummies than anywhere else. Others, like you I suspect, lose weight all over at the same rate. So, while you may have lost 15 pounds, you have likely lost only a pound here and a pound there. It is all balanced out all over your frame from your head all the way to your toes (yes, even your toes get skinnier). Give yourself about 10 more pounds and you will likely be in a new pant size. I have lost 22 and am just now into a new size. You are doing great!

I agree with this...I've lost 18 lbs and I'm still wearing the same size, just a lot looser. In my case, I think I should have been wearing one size up before I started this process. But I was refusing to buy that bigger size, just wearing everything tighter. I'm just starting to feel like I "might" be into one size down here shortly, within 5 lbs. Hang in there, it will happen!
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good question! It can vary based on your height and your weight range. I'm 5'5" and 166 lbs. I know that from 195 down to 135 a size for me is roughly 15 lbs. Now, go back five years ago I was over 250. Then, a size was 25 lbs for me.

My friend who is 5'9" says that 18 lbs is a size for her. She's currently 190.

Hope that helps!
  • JessicaMKennedy
    Options
    It depends on your body shape. Someone with significant larger hips than their tummies and loose weight in their tummies first, like me, can't quite get into that smaller size due to the larger hips. My jeans have always been 1size bigger than what I actually needed in the waist because of my hips.
  • laurabosworth1298
    laurabosworth1298 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes...me too! I think I was stretching my original size to the limit and so though I am down 15 pounds I am not really in a new size yet...but my original pants are much more comfortable!
  • emilymonnig
    Options
    5-7 but I'm on the short side. Inches definitely matter more for me too. I was 122 and a 6 last fall; now I'm 132 and a 6 with slightly smaller measurements. If you're adding muscle, you will eventually go down in size but your weight might be the same or more.
  • Kristina1818
    Options
    I've lost 20lbs and just got into my old jeans - very exciting! :)
  • mkcolombia
    mkcolombia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It depends on how tight your pants were to start and how stretchy. If your pants were tight and stretchy it might take awhile to go down a size! Do not get discouraged!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have lost 15 pounds and haven't changed pant size yet. Almost, I think. But not yet. I am a size 14, and 15 pounds ago they were getting tight...my thighs were demanding that I wear 16s. Now I'm still a 14, but they are comfortable, maybe a tad loose. But I'm super short, too. And technically, my waist could probably be in a size 12 now, but my thighs still need the 14.