Hungry!

Options
On Friday I upped my calories to maintainance because I had knee surgery yesterday.

I fasted from midnight Sunday, until 3pm yesterday (after my surgery) and then ate 1,700 calories between 3pm and when I went to sleep last night. 1,700 is more the BMR but not quite maintainance.

I woke up at 3.30am starving! I got up and got a glass do water, but couldn't get back to sleep til I finally got up again and had a protein shake at about 4.45am.

So I had a pretty big breakfast 2hrs ago, and I'm STILL hungry.

Is it in my mind, or is do I need to eat because of the surgery? I normally eat around 1,600 calories a day which is just under BMR.

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    If you are legitimately hungry you should eat.

Aim for meals with whole grains, healthy fat, and protein--fat and protein keep you satiated.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    If you are legitimately hungry you should eat.

Aim for meals with whole grains, healthy fat, and protein--fat and protein keep you satiated.
    ^^^
    This. And great idea to go into maintenance for the time being...I suspect the extra calories will help your body heal faster than it might if you staying in a deficit. Take care!
  • ballardr1
    Options
    when recuperating you may need more protein. I suggest peanut butter or sunflower butter before bed. one or two tablespoons. I bet you sleep better.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I suspect your body is "out of whack" because of the fasting and the stress of the surgery and GA on all your body systems.
    If you're hungry, eat, sticking to maintenance while you heal seems like a good plan.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure it's not "home alone, bored" hunger.

I'm a bit scared that my body is going to get used to being feed more and it'll be harder to get back into it once I've healed.

I'm on complete rest for a week, then I can do 'gentle' exercise for 3 wks. So I just hope I can get back to the gym with out trouble.