Half Marathon in a Year?

Options
I keep reading all about everyone that ran the Disney Princess Half Marathon this weekend, and it seems like an absolute blast. My family and I are planning a trip to Walt Disney World next February, and they're willing to schedule our trip around the race, if I decide to run it. I am not a runner. At all. I got through the first 2 weeks of C25K (doing it on a treadmill) and I think I didn't finish it because I wasn't very motivated. I keep hearing about people who got motivated by signing up for races, and they were forced to train. I am already planning a 5K in May, and I'm just curious if you think that it's possible to go from not being a runner at all, to being able to run a half marathon in a year. Thoughts?

Replies

• kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Once you hit the 5k mark, you'll be amazaed at how easy it is to tack on miles. You have plenty of time to train. Msg me and I'll send you a good program to train.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are motivated to do the training that is easily possible. You can get in good running condition in a year by just consistently putting in the miles. You can get in excellent running shape in a year if you seek out your physical limits without crossing the line into injury.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I went from non runner to running half marathon distances in training in one year.
    My advice:
    - see if you can find some shorter races (5k, 10k) during the year so you have a shorter term goal to aim for.
    - be cautious of injury. If you feel pain (not just stiffness, but pain), stop. If it doesn't go away get to a physio or other professional. When you are going from non- runner to runner you are at risk of injury, I didn't get to run my half marathon planned in feb due to a hip injury - though I did manage 10k.
    - tell everyone what you're doing so you have support from outside as well as motivation from within.
    - make sure you have good shoes and bra.
    - experiment with eating and drinking once you're running for more than an hour or if it's hot.
    - enjoy!
  • j3nnij3n
    j3nnij3n Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I want to run the race next year too! I still have a lot of excess weight to lose and training to do also. I am terrified! Can I add you as a friend? We can help each other train!
  • kwrecks
    kwrecks Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    absolutely! I need all the support I can get!
  • trlrnrgrl
    Options
    Absolutely you can do it! You've gotten some great advice already. I was also going to suggest adding in some shorter races between your 5k and your half. Breaking down a big goal like a half into smaller bits might make it seem less scary and will keep you motivated throughout the year. Your 5k is gonna be great, and you can use that fun energy to sign up for your next race - another 5k or maybe a 10k.

Another thought - start out your training plan slooooowwwly. Start out so slow it seems ridiculous. Beginning runners often want to do too much, too fast, which is very understandable! But the endurance and the miles will come, you just have to start out slowly and be patient. A lot of people start out by walking, then move to a walk/run combo, then some move to all running.

Best of luck and have a great race!
  • rgoodman1979
    rgoodman1979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    YES!! You can do it! I started last March 24th running. First time ever. I ran a 1/2 marathon on November 20. There's a lot of training involved, but if you want it bad enough you can and will do it!!!
  • mikingtx
    mikingtx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started running Aug 2010 using C25K because walking wasn't enough of a cardio boost anymore (unless I walked for 2 hours at a time).

Since that time i have come to really enjoy running. If you would have told me 20+ years ago that I would say those words and really mean it, I would have called you a liar.

The runner's high is for real!
    I completed my first 5K in Oct 2010 and have done an additional 5 (the last one being in Dec 2011).

In Oct 2011 I committed to my first 1/2 Marathon.
    I got a group together for motivation (most of whom were already runners), designed a fun shirt and....

On Sunday, February 26, 2012 after 3:49:31, I completed the Cowtown Half Marathon (Fort Worth, TX) - my very first and certainly NOT my last!

Get a good pair of shoes and the right clothes (a plain cotton t-shirt doesn't breathe well enough once you begin to sweat)
    Commit to the training schedule, including strength and conditioning.
    Begin with 5Ks and make sure you do a couple of 10Ks as well. Stick with your pace and don't be ashamed to use the run/walk intervals or just walk the whole thing (at least a pace of 4mph)

The feeling of accomplishment is like none other!
    All that to say...YOU CAN DO IT!!!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Absolutely possible!

REGISTER NOW and you will be forced to prepare. That's my motto, LOL.

I am doing my first half marathon in 2 months and I've only been training for it for 2 months so far. I am READY and PSYCHED.

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mikingtx
    mikingtx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    registering is critical...it's a commitment!

Good luck to everyone preparing for their first. It's amazing.
    FYI - a beer afterwards tastes so good! quick carb replenishing :drinker:
  • stitchinggirl
    Options
    Absolutely!

My own experience, I signed up in January and ran my first and best half the end of May.

You can completely do this!

Have faith and have fun.
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know on April 1st :). I've always disliked running but committed to a 10k on 3/31. The program I'm following is Hal Higdon (he has novice programs for all race types). The best part is that it's not all running and it's taught me to work on strengthening my body so I have the stamina to run. In 6 weeks I went from running less than a minute to doing 5 miles w/out stopping (5.2mph and sometimes I go up to 6, 7, 8 for short periods). Good luck and have fun!
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I ran a half about a year after I ran my first 5k. (ran the 5k after completing the c25k plan myself) It's totally doable.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    You can do it.

I started running (C25K) in February of 2011. I had never been a runner before and I can honestly say I hated it but my goal was to become something I wasn't. By December of the same year I completed my first 1/2 Ironman.
    If I can do that, you can this. Start slow to build your base and help avoid injury and then just keep at it. You're going to hit that mental "wall" at some point during C25K but you've got to push yourself through it.

I remember when I first ran for 30 minutes non stop. It was amazing. I felt so free, like I could accomplish anything. After that I slowly kept pushing myself to go longer and every time I conquered a new distance that feeling kept returning and I fell in love with running.

Remember to keep it slow, the reason most beginning runners fail is because they try to go too far or too fast. Also make sure to get fitted for some proper running shoes and buy yourself a foam roller.

Good luck!
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's been said but definitely start with the couch to 5 k plan at c25k.com. I'm in my 5th week, never a runner, and love it.
  • kwrecks
    Options
    You can do it.

I started running (C25K) in February of 2011. I had never been a runner before and I can honestly say I hated it but my goal was to become something I wasn't. By December of the same year I completed my first 1/2 Ironman.
    If I can do that, you can this. Start slow to build your base and help avoid injury and then just keep at it. You're going to hit that mental "wall" at some point during C25K but you've got to push yourself through it.

I remember when I first ran for 30 minutes non stop. It was amazing. I felt so free, like I could accomplish anything. After that I slowly kept pushing myself to go longer and every time I conquered a new distance that feeling kept returning and I fell in love with running.

Remember to keep it slow, the reason most beginning runners fail is because they try to go too far or too fast. Also make sure to get fitted for some proper running shoes and buy yourself a foam roller.

Good luck!

What is a foam roller?
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    http://tptherapy.com/shop/smrt-core-products/the-grid.html

Its probably the one thing that has kept me injury free. Its amazing. It hurts like a mofo at first but you get to love it.

ETA: And my amazing friend Karin went from non-runner to completing the NY ING Marathon in less than a year. So yes its definitely doable.
  • kwrecks
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice! I think I'm going to restart the c25k plan this week. I can't wait to get started, even though I know it's going to be extremely tough. I wish I had stuck with my original starting week of the c25k, I'd already be 5 weeks in! I'm hoping that having a 5K in May, and another race in August, and the Half Marathon in February to look forward to, that I'll be able to stick to it!
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The princess half 2013 is one of the goals I'm working toward.
  • kentmanion
    kentmanion Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    In a word...YES!!

I started running in June and could barely make it a mile. In October, I did my first half marathon and had a blast doing it. I continued my training from there and am scheduled to run my first full marathon this Sunday! I used to despise the thought of running, and now I can't get enough. My advice is to find a group that you can run with an make it a social thing! It will be more motivating and more fun!

Good Luck!