Running Pains

Options
So I was wondering if it was just me, or if other people get this too. When I go running, I tend to get sharp pains in my side, and it becomes hard to breathe and move. I've been told in class that it's a buildup of lactic acid, but is there any way to get rid of this???

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Never had those! I used to run a lot and got pain in my shins. Maybe speak with your doctor or a nurse just to be safe.
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I get that in my lower left side whenever I do anything that involves jumping & I usually get it when I run long, too.
    Not sure what it is. :/
  • chuckles217
    chuckles217 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Stretch after exercising, drink plenty of water.

Pay attention to your stride and posture when running, you may be slightly leaning or dipping causing you to apply abnormal stress to that area.
  • catherinergrunden
    catherinergrunden Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a side stitch. You can get them when you push too hard or don't breathe right. There are several things you can try.

Try timing your breathing. Breathe in when your right foot strikes and keep breathing in for three strides. Make sure it's a deep breath; your stomach should be moving in and out, not your chest. Then breathe out when your left foot hits. When you breathe out, push the breath out like you're blowing out candles. Do this several times. That trick always works for me. It also prevents them if you do it when you feel it coming on.

You can also try putting your left arm up and leaning to the right to stretch out your left side. Or rub the area. Or simply just slow down and walk it out!
  • ELMom
    ELMom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to think those cramps in my side were from not breathing in enough but actually they are from not breathing out enough carbon dioxide so be sure to breath out deeply as well as breathing in deeply. Worked for me!
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing when working out and running. I learned that I have to avoid eating for like 1.5 hours or more before working out. Maybe it's WHAT I ate...like protein too.....I don't know but I would try that if you haven't already. It could be the other reasons as well...water, breathing OR just getting in better running shape.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I used to get them, bad, before I "learned" how to run. Building up slow with Couch to 5k, and starting by running slowly and adding speed later, I stopped getting them. Running slower, I didn't have trouble with breathing.