Mission: Impossible - Sugar Limit

According to MyFitnessPal's recommendation for me, I should be getting no more than 26g of sugar in a day. Though I have been making an effort of limiting my sugar intake while still getting enough calories in a day, it seems like an impossible goal to reach. Even some of the healthiest things have sugar in them.

Is it really possible to only get 26g in a day?

Even when I exercise, it never seems to be enough to bring the remaining sugar number out of the negative. Any advice?

Replies

• Cut out unnecessary sugars…ie sodas, juices, and well of course actual sugar. Then work on sugar you don’t really think about like sugar in your protein, any bars or meal replacement drinks you might or might not consume. Then if you’re like me I love fruit which is packed with natural sugar but sugar none the less. Just cute your fruit intake to one serving per day while you are trying to lose weight and once you hit your maintenance phase gradually increase your fruit intake back up. Your body breaks down all sugar and carbs the same…into glucose you can use for energy…so whether its fruit or a big glass of sweet tea most of it will be a simple sugar once broken down…what isn’t used is well stored. Make sure you are taking a multivitamin and supplementing some good veggies to get the vitamins and nutrients your cutting out by reducing fruits. Good luck!! You can do it!!
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, my concern was for the sugars in some of the healthier items - like milk and nuts and veggies, and of course, fruit. Even my multigrain bread has 4g per slice (and I limit myself to 1 slice in a day). I'm trying to eat a balanced diet and make sure to meet the minimum recommended calories but even though my calories fall under my daily goal, my sugars are always so high, even after I exercise to try to burn them off!

Is there some way to prepare fruits and veggies that will burn off the sugar before I eat them so I don't have to worry about the extra sugar going into my body?