ANEMIC and need low cal iron rich munchies.

Options
I have always been anemic as long as I can remember... I need LOW CAL. iron rich munchies, especially now during my time of the month. My iron pills just dont cut it during these kind of weeks. ANY suggestions would be appreciated... THANKS.

Replies

• DesertFlowersCanDance
    Options
    beef jerky - hard boiled eggs :0)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure spinach has iron in it, and almost no calories. Add it to all your meals!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    spinach
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    ugh, just in the middle of discovering that I might be anemic. I have sort of always thought I might be a little, but it has become much more intense lately. I would love to find out more about eating iron rich foods! You can always throw some spinach in a strawberry/orange smoothie.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump

I take a pill too, but more iron-rich snacks would be great!
  • melbaby925
    Options
    My iron is super low right now too - I'm making spinach and kale chips tomorrow!
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am in the SAME boat you are. Really. I even get Vertigo from working out during my TOM.

So... little tricks I picked up along the way:

1) Add Spinach to your smoothies. You won't taste it. It disappears. It has a TON of iron in it, but it's not the easy kind for your body to process. Still helps.
    2) Eat LEAN steak/roast beef for dinner on day 1 of your TOM. BIG help for me.
    3) Take your iron supplement morning & night while on your TOM (if your Doctor says it's ok: mine did!)
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    Check out The Simply Bar. These have lots of iron. Even better for iron absorption if eaten with a fruit like a kiwi or apricot.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Get multivitamins with multiminerals. You just cant get the iron without eating red meat all the time. And the multiminerals has other stuff too we dont get in our diets, like vitamin D, E, etc....It's ok and even good to take one a day, but do it with food. and dont buy expensive, get whats on sale.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    green veggies are the answer - broccoli, asparagus, spinach - all loaded with iron, all super low in calories
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Not really a low calorie suggestion, but occasionally try using cast iron when you cook.

http://veganhealth.org/articles/iron

http://pubs.ext.vt.edu/348/348-371/348-371.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/417124-how-to-increase-iron-levels-in-blood/

I also saw an article saying it was unhealthy if you've been using cast iron for a long time. Take from it what you will. I have a few cast iron pans and use them all, every so often. I make english muffins every week, and cook them in my large CI skillet. Extra boost of iron! I also get my blood checked at least 1x/yr and my iron levels are fine. Not at all too high, and my mulit vitamin does contain iron.

Hope it helps! Good luck!!
  • formersec
    formersec Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Fortified cereal
  • justplainoleanne
    justplainoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Studies are showing now that some anemia is caused by a b12 deficiency. Try using some sublingual b12.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Get multivitamins with multiminerals. You just cant get the iron without eating red meat all the time. And the multiminerals has other stuff too we dont get in our diets, like vitamin D, E, etc....It's ok and even good to take one a day, but do it with food. and dont buy expensive, get whats on sale.

so take the the MVI with minerals, then add the suggestions, (spinach, steak, beef jerky, egg) during those days for the extra umph.
  • kateparker1982
    Options
    Any green vegetable.I love roasted garbonzo beans as a snack but any beans are high in iron. Artichokes. Dried fruit-healthy although not low cal.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I am in the SAME boat you are. Really. I even get Vertigo from working out during my TOM.

So... little tricks I picked up along the way:

1) Add Spinach to your smoothies. You won't taste it. It disappears. It has a TON of iron in it, but it's not the easy kind for your body to process. Still helps.
    2) Eat LEAN steak/roast beef for dinner on day 1 of your TOM. BIG help for me.
    3) Take your iron supplement morning & night while on your TOM (if your Doctor says it's ok: mine did!)

I used to have massive Vertigo attacks! Then I found out I was anemic...AND hypoglycemic! When I don't eat enough iron, and every couple hours...my body starts acting weird!!! One thing I noticed was my ear started "buzzing" as well. It goes away when I'm full..and when I exercise. My doctor told me it was unfortunately part of the anemia.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Black Strap Molasses has tons of iron in it. Tbsp a day does wonders.
  • nouveaucow
    Options
    I am also anemic. I try to eat more lean steak and spinach salads and sometimes throw the two together as a steak salad. Seems to do the trick for me

Oops almost forgot. If it is cold, I will make a lentil stew with lean beef and veggies. Lentils are a great source of protein and iron, but I have to sprout them
  • aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're taking your iron pill with something that is high in Vitamin C and NOT taking it with calcium.