How Do I Prevent Shin Splints?

Options
Hey Everyone! I'm VERY new to the running world (I just started C25K) and was wondering how I can prevent shin splints. I thought maybe some of you on here might have some tips. :D

Replies

• crewellademel
    crewellademel Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What worked for me was going to a good local running store. The person there spent a good 40 minutes. First she measured my feet and then watched me run barefoot both on a treadmill and on the running track in the store. Then she had me try on 5 or 6 different pairs of shoes. She had me squat and stand up and watched from front and back how the balls of my feet rolled in or out etc....She checked my old shoes for wear marks. She stated that good running shoes need to be longer in the toe than regular shoes. The shoes I ended up getting were only a little over $100 and they made running much more comfortable from multiple perspectives...impact seemed less on all joints especially ankles and knees and what I think were early shin splints went right away. She also said that really good running shoes shouldn't require any break in and these didn't. I put them on and away I went. Good Luck! C25K is Awesome! Do you know about the downloadable podcasts that you can put on your iPod that tells you went to start and stop running? They are really helpful! :flowerforyou:
  • jcnuebel
    Options
    I used to get shin splints too. I got a new pair of shoes and haven't had a problem since. Good luck!!
  • Beautiful_Ideal
    Beautiful_Ideal Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey - I'm starting C25K today. (I've tried before, but I'm doing it this time.) However, I used to be a Cross Country runner, so this is what I've learned.

To prevent shin splints:

1. STRETCH! I would say do it before you start running, so that your muscles are a little warmed up, but some people also do it after. Sit down, put your legs out in front of you, and grab your toes. Sit indian style and lean forward as you grab your ankles. Stand up, hold your hands together behind your back, and lean forward. (This last one is GOLD).
    2. Good shoes (like people have said).
    3. Good running form: go running with someone experienced and have them give you pointers, or go on YouTube and watch some videos. Search for "running form," or "how to run." Are you holding your arms the right way? Are your shoulders too stiff? Form counts - if it's bad, you can hurt yourself more easily!
    4. ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE ICE. I cannot stress this one enough! 15 mins of a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel will work WONDERS on your aching shins. This SAVED me during long seasons of cross country running.
    5. If it gets bad, visit a sports med doctor. If your insurance covers it, that is :) They'll help you figure out if something about your anatomy is exacerbating your shin splints. And last but not least...
    6. Lose weight. I know, I know, that's what you're doing. Oftentimes carrying extra weight makes running harder on your body. So keep at your diet, and keep at C25K! Things will get better with time.

GOOD LUCK! I've friended you. Looking forward to talking about our workouts!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Warm up slowly and make sure you have the right shoes, and stick with it! Once you're a little more used to it, shin splints will be an ancient memory.
  • OseaHello
    Options
    I used to get those! It was so bad I would have to be carried because it hurt to walk. I went to the Podiatrist and had custom orthotics made and I haven't had shin splints ever since.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    Here is what worked for me.

Don't stretch cold muscles. I walk 5 minutes and then stretch. I do a modified quad stretch where I grab my toes instead of my ankle. This stretches the front of my shin at the same time as my quad. I follow this with my normal calf and hamstring stretches then I start running. At the end of my run I walk another 5 minutes then I do all the same stretches again.

You can also sit on the floor with your legs under you kinda like Muslim prayer. Point your toes straight back and sit up straight. When I first started doing this one I couldn't sit like that for long but it really helped my shins. Look up shin stretches on Youtube.
  • myra88taylor
    myra88taylor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've avoided them by really focusing on my running form. There are some good tips on the web, but a good way to do it is as someone else said--have someone experienced run with you and give you pointers! Hang in there! I did C25K, too, and it worked! I've ran 3 5Ks!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    get fitted for shoes.

If you have them already and can't get rid of them, sit on the ground, legs straight in front of you, and write the alphabet with your toes (great stretching). Also, frozen water bottles rubbed up and down the front of your legs will feel GREAT.

GL! I started with the C25k, have ran 3 5k's and just ran my first 10k this past weekend :love:
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    awesome advice I will def. be using thanks :happy:
  • klenta
    klenta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My only addition is this.

--Take it slow!--

I used to try running and I would dive in too fast. Shins hurts, side cramps, etc.

But I stopped caring about how fast in comparison to others and how I looked to others. Once I did that and slowed down, I still got them in the beginning, but would recover faster. Though, I admit, it took quite a few rest days between the first few sessions for my body to recover. But after that, it wasn't bad at all.

Push a little bit, but not too far beyond comfort in the beginning. Let your body and muscles get used to it. It's amazing how quickly your body adapts.

Good luck!
  • mander1621
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! Great tips from all of you! I'll definitely be using them! :D
  • addies_mom
    Options
    A lot of times shin splints are caused by striking the heel to the ground first as opposed to striking the balls of your feet first (which you should be doing). When you strike your heel to the ground first and then propel forward, a muscle along your shin (tibialis anterior) will stretch rapidly, then reflexively contract as your gait cycle continues. The stretch/contract/stretch/contract causes pretty rapid fatigue (this muscle is smaller than the biceps in your arm).
    Occasionally, they can be caused by poor running posture. Are you running with your torso fairly upright? Or leaning forward? If you lean too far forward, your legs will have to work harder to propel you forward, and could be making the shin splints worse. Sometimes when your core muscles are weak, leaning forward is inevitable, and then shin splints become an issue too...
    Hope it resolves soon! Like others before me said, ice is your friend. So is rest! Good luck :)
    (source: I'm a certified sports massage therapist and currently doing graduate studies in physiology).
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I just got past a bout of Shin Splints. I had to actually see a doctor they were so bad. I even had to do some physical therapy. I am finally all healed up. It was the Ice that helped the most along with anti - inflammatory medication. I had it bad. Plus I bought new shoes. Asics stability shoes are a must. I am back exercising now and am so happy. Ice, Ice Ice and good stability shoes are most important. I can't stress that enough. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • MrsWife2011
    MrsWife2011 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    From WebMD

What's the Treatment for Shin Splints?

Although shin splints may be caused by different problems, treatment is usually the same: Rest your body so the underlying issue heals. Here are some other things to try:

Icing the shin to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every three to four hours for two to three days, or until the pain is gone.
    Anti-inflammatory painkillers. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin, will help with pain and swelling. However, these drugs can have side effects, like an increased risk of bleeding and ulcers. They should be used only occasionally unless your doctor specifically says otherwise.
    Arch supports for your shoes. These orthotics -- which can be custom-made or bought off the shelf -- may help with flat feet.
    Range of motion exercises, if your doctor recommends them.
    Neoprene sleeve to support and warm the leg.
    Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in your shins.
    In rare cases, surgery is needed for severe stress fractures and other problems that can cause shin splints.

How Can I Prevent Shin Splints?

To prevent shin splints, you should:

Always wear shoes with good support and padding.
    Warm up before working out, making sure to stretch the muscles in your legs.
    Stop working out as soon as you feel pain in your shins.
    Don't run or play on hard surfaces like concrete.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    All good advice above. I would add to do tibia exercises 1-2x per week as a preventative measure. Keep the shins strong, well stretched, and recovered. Have fun with your running!
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Get shoes with better arch supports.

I developed a slight ache on the outside of both knees while playing baseball in college, so I went to the team athletic trainer. He told me told me that I needed better arch supports in my shoes. He explained that the pain would eventually work its way up my leg to my butt muscles because of how I was compensating my gait because of the pain. He explained that shortly after this I would eventually develop shin splints. Everything happened exactly as he stated, and I must say, I feel you pain!!! Shin splints are NASTY bad!

Now, I make sure that my running shoes provide sufficient support for my arches.
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    A lot of times shin splints are caused by striking the heel to the ground first as opposed to striking the balls of your feet first (which you should be doing).

There are several elite runners who would disagree with you. Heel striking is bad if it's the result of overstriding, but some people just plain heel strike as part of their own natural biomechanics. Trying to drastically change one's natural form can be cause for a whole host of issues.

Shin splints can be caused by many different things, depending upon the runner. Too fast/too much/too soon...and the wrong footwear (wrong type or shoes that are too old/worn) can all contribute. In HS I had HORRIBLE shin splints and rock hard calves from trying to keep up with the big dogs. Our track team also got a deal for all wearing the same shoe, even though it was probably the wrong shoe for a lot of us. :grumble:

In my 20s I tried to take up running again, but would go from 0 to 2 miles without any sort of work-up. I couldn't do that for more than a week before my shins stopped me. When I started back to running in my 30s I did C25K and haven't had issues from the get-go. I've logged thousands of miles and 3 marathons without any significant injury issues (aside from a bad sprain during a trail relay--but that wasn't really a running injury so much as a klutz injury :blushing: ). When small twinges have crept up I've addressed them right away and figured out what I needed to change (often it's simply my body giving me a cue to back off for a few days) to get back on course.
  • addies_mom
    Options
    A lot of times shin splints are caused by striking the heel to the ground first as opposed to striking the balls of your feet first (which you should be doing).

There are several elite runners who would disagree with you. Heel striking is bad if it's the result of overstriding, but some people just plain heel strike as part of their own natural biomechanics. Trying to drastically change one's natural form can be cause for a whole host of issues.

Shin splints can be caused by many different things, depending upon the runner. Too fast/too much/too soon...and the wrong footwear (wrong type or shoes that are too old/worn) can all contribute. In HS I had HORRIBLE shin splints and rock hard calves from trying to keep up with the big dogs. Our track team also got a deal for all wearing the same shoe, even though it was probably the wrong shoe for a lot of us. :grumble:

In my 20s I tried to take up running again, but would go from 0 to 2 miles without any sort of work-up. I couldn't do that for more than a week before my shins stopped me. When I started back to running in my 30s I did C25K and haven't had issues from the get-go. I've logged thousands of miles and 3 marathons without any significant injury issues (aside from a bad sprain during a trail relay--but that wasn't really a running injury so much as a klutz injury :blushing: ). When small twinges have crept up I've addressed them right away and figured out what I needed to change (often it's simply my body giving me a cue to back off for a few days) to get back on course.

Yes, poor body mechanics, whether caused by poor gait, poor posture, or improper footwear, causes shin splints. Glad to see a fellow marathon runner on here!