Need a 5 month miracle! Advice-givers invited!

Options
My darling hubs is deployed overseas right now and his deployment has been shortened. Instead of him being home next January, he'll be home this August. (WOO-HOO!!!)
BUT, that means my weight-loss (which is currently 1 pound per week) isn't going to cut it. So, help would be appreciated.

What you need to know about me:
I am a Type 1 Diabetic on an insulin pump. I have had diabetes for 23 years.
I am 30 years old.
I have lost 9 pounds in 7 weeks. My current weight is 194 and my goal weight is 140 or less.
I have never had to exercise in my life. Then I had two darling babies 22 months apart with a move and recruiting duty smack-dab in the middle of them. Mama ate her feelings fo' sho.
I do not have my food diary public. Mainly because I get a LOT of crap from people who are in the old mindset of thinking that because I'm a diabetic, I can't have real sugar. (If you're not aware yourself, I have unbelievable flexibility with my insulin pump. That does not, however, mean that I eat whatever my little heart desires.)
I just met with my diabetes dietician last week for a more "dos and don'ts" list and have made some changes but nothing seems to be conducive to dropping weight.
I do 30-60 minutes a day, six days a week of some form of cardio. Either the elliptical, zumba, TRX, or pilates. I also do strength training everyday in various areas (rotating of course.)
My current calorie ratio is set at 1200/day, I eat those and most of my exercise calories. I'm usually inside of 500 calories or less total consumption.
Last thought: I have to eat some amount of complex carbs. The insulin I take requires a normal balance of carb intake to keep my liver and kidneys functioning properly.

So, basically I have 5 months before the man gets off the plane. I have 54 more pounds to lose. I want more than anything to knock his socks off when he sees me for the first time in 8-ish months. It's something HE deserves. Me too of course, but him especially. He married me at 135 and solid muscle. Now I'm near 200 and totally non-muscly. I'm not having any more kids and with him being gone I have a lot more free time. If I don't make this lifestyle change now, I never will.

Any advice is appreciated!!!

Ready, set, GO!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd ask your dietitians advice and stick to it... don't be tempted to cut calories too low and don't get focussed on the scale. Any positive changes you make for your health are going to make a difference in 5 months. Your DH will be delighted to see you looking happy and healthy but probably wouldn't enjoy seeing you all miserable because the number on the scale is not exactly what you wished for.

So, a summary of my advice
    - ask your dietician how many cals a day you should eat to stay healthy and lose weight. Don't go below this.
    - if you aren't doing it already - make sure you are eating as many home cooked, less processed options as possible. Lotsnofnfruot and veggies will be good for you and your little ones too.
    - exercise regularly, but not obsessively.
    - weigh in once a week at most, and remember that scales only tell part nod the story.
    - measure yourself once a month, this is a good guide too.
    - keep doing these things - I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter which philosophy to which "diet" you follow, if you fnd something sensible that works for you and you keep doing it, you will see results.
    - I'm going to say it again - DON'T measure your worth or your success by a number on the scales, and don't get fixated on "having" to lose x kg in x months, that's just setting yourself up to fail. Make positive healthy lifestyle changes and you will look and feel fantastic in 5 months time!
  • bigsargswife
    Options
    Thanks Ruby!
    I didn't even think about measuring myself. I will do that tomorrow.
    You will be happy to know that I don't look at the scale more than once a week! :)
    And I have an appointment with my pump lady tomorrow; going to see what she thinks too.
    Thank you!
  • bigsargswife
    Options
    bump. need more input...
  • bigsargswife
    Options
    one more bump....
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I think 1lb/week is perfect honestly. You don't need to be at your goal weight when eh gets home - he loved you when he left so its not like he's going to come home and say "gosh honey I'm really disappointed that you didn't lose that last 10 lbs for me"

You don't really know for sure yet if 140 is the 'right' goal weight for you so starving yourself to get there isn't' a good idea. Back at my skinniest adult weight I was 143 and chubby. If I was 143 right now I'd be very low bodyfat (like 19%). If you are working out your body is going through huge changes which aren't necessarily scale related. You might even have weeks where you don't lose any weight but your body changes for the better.

So don't worry about that number - its just a sign that you're heading in the right direction but its not the ONLY sign. Measurements, the way your clothes fit, and VISUAL changes are way more important. In fact if you haven't taken pictures yet, do it. side pics, front pics, back pics in your workout clothes (Ideally that show your belly) or in underwear/bikini.

Trust me - You're going to wow him no matter what the scale says.
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with working closely with the dietician. Make sure she understands your goals. Do you weigh & measure everything, because portion size is key for me. How abour backing off on strength training & only doing that 2-3x/week & increasing your cardio by 15 min every day? Can you get your carbs from 2-3 servings of fruit/day & lots of veggies instead of breads/potatoes? Good luck! You can do it!
  • DomesticPirate
    DomesticPirate Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead? It's all about juicing. Talk to your Dr. about a juice fast/cleanse. I started juicing for breakfast and my afternoon snack and I've been losing 1-2 lbs. per week.

That being said, I completely agree with Ruby. Any positive change you make is going to knock your husband's socks off. As a mother of 3 (5, 2, and 6 mo.) I had to learn to accept that there is NO way I will ever have the body of the high school girl I was when my husband and I met, and he thinks the curves I got from bearing his children are sexy anyway!

Good luck, and THANKS to your husband for the amazing service he does our country!
  • ShalisaClam
    Options
    My nephew has the pump too, what a great thing it is!!

I don't have any advice to give, really. Just wanted to say thanks to your husband - please send my heartfelt thanks along. Service men & women have my ultimate respect for their sacrifice - and yours too.

Good luck!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Health is top priority. You do have a extenuating circumstance with the Type I. You are right about the sugars and type 1. Do what you are supposed to do. Whatever you accomplish (even if you still have more to lose) will "Knock his socks off"... And in the end... He loves you for YOU... Not a dress size. All that being said, in line with the measurement thought. There is more than one way to achieve fitness and toning and weights may be one way to accomplish that. Muscle mass is heavier than fat mass... Hence you may be able to make some changes in the mirror simply by introducing light weights and toning up your body a bit. It may not reflect on the scale... indeed muscle will not. But, in dress size, it will. I caution you to use light weights as undoubtedly you don't want to bulk but rather want to tone. IMHO
  • bigsargswife
    Options
    Thank you!
    You're right, it's not about the number. I guess that's one of my goals because I can remember feeling my best at that weight. But, that was also pre-baby and I wasn't exercising. With muscle weighing more, etc, it doesn't really make sense to put a number out there.
    Thanks again!
  • samhelen
    Options
    I'd ask your dietitians advice and stick to it... don't be tempted to cut calories too low and don't get focussed on the scale. Any positive changes you make for your health are going to make a difference in 5 months. Your DH will be delighted to see you looking happy and healthy but probably wouldn't enjoy seeing you all miserable because the number on the scale is not exactly what you wished for.

- ask your dietician how many cals a day you should eat to stay healthy and lose weight. Don't go below this.
    - if you aren't doing it already - make sure you are eating as many home cooked, less processed options as possible. Lotsnofnfruot and veggies will be good for you and your little ones too.
    - weigh in once a week at most, and remember that scales only tell part nod the story.
    - keep doing these things - I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter which philosophy to which "diet" you follow, if you fnd something sensible that works for you and you keep doing it, you will see results.
    - I'm going to say it again - DON'T measure your worth or your success by a number on the scales, and don't get fixated on "having" to lose x kg in x months, that's just setting yourself up to fail. Make positive healthy lifestyle changes and you will look and feel fantastic in 5 months time!

^^ What she said -- I know its no great wisdom from me but why repeat what she's already said ;) He'll have spent 8 months with a bunch of mostly guys in the Middle East -- a hug and kiss from his wife that is healthy and happy that can give him a "run for his money" so to speak and the rest are just details.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm the proper authority on anything, because most days, my shirt barely matches my pants.

And I have no health conditions (which is why I started losing weight) yet. I researched foods that have negative values, like apples, broccoli, spinach stuff like that. You can google it there are a lot of them. Just stick to your 1200, follow the doctor's advice. Sometimes, zig zagging calories works because it tricks the body.

Good luck to you--and your husband, well, he's going to be a-okay with seeing you waiting for him. I'm sure he can't wait to get home to you--and it has way nothing to do with the way you see yourself...and everything to do with the way he sees you!!! With his heart :)
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself by setting unrealistic weight loss goals. Keep in mind that any weight loss will be an improvement health wise and as a physical attraction for him and feeling better about yourself. Good Luck and I hope you knock his socks off!
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    54 lbs in 5 months seems like a lot to lose so quickly to me, even if diabetes weren't an issue...is it possible to scale your goal to a more easily attainable one so you don't make yourself sick by trying unhealthy methods out of desperation? have you brought up this particular goal with your dietician (or better, your doctor?)?

if it's safe for you, have you considered mixing up the type of cardio you're doing to something potentially more challenging to your body (like beginning the couch to 5k program and taking up daily running? or trying the much loved by MFP jillian michaels 30 day shred?) and then possibly not eating back the calories burned, if approved by your dietitian/doctor?

i wish i could give straight advice on this but with your medical needs, i'm not sure anyone should be doing that on this forum..(unless they're type 1 diabetic too, perhaps?)

wishing you lots of luck in getting into shape by august! i'm sure you can build LOTS of muscle in that time, even if your diet can't be altered :) very happy for you that your husband is coming home sooner than expected -- that must be making you, your husband and your kids very happy!
  • bigsargswife
    Options
    Have you seen Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead? It's all about juicing. Talk to your Dr. about a juice fast/cleanse. I started juicing for breakfast and my afternoon snack and I've been losing 1-2 lbs. per week.

That being said, I completely agree with Ruby. Any positive change you make is going to knock your husband's socks off. As a mother of 3 (5, 2, and 6 mo.) I had to learn to accept that there is NO way I will ever have the body of the high school girl I was when my husband and I met, and he thinks the curves I got from bearing his children are sexy anyway!

Good luck, and THANKS to your husband for the amazing service he does our country!

I HAVE seen that! Crazy!!! I do need to talk to my dietician about a temporary cleanse if for nothing else but a reboot. I really liked that video, but it was hard to figure out how to implement his plan because my health is different, etc.
    Thank you for reminding me that some of my Mama curves ARE sexy, lol!
    And thank you for your kindness. He's a rare find; he makes it easy to sacrifice because he's such a good soldier and a good man and he really loves this country. :) I appreciate your thanks.
  • bigsargswife
    Options
    54 lbs in 5 months seems like a lot to lose so quickly to me, even if diabetes weren't an issue...is it possible to scale your goal to a more easily attainable one so you don't make yourself sick by trying unhealthy methods out of desperation? have you brought up this particular goal with your dietician (or better, your doctor?)?

if it's safe for you, have you considered mixing up the type of cardio you're doing to something potentially more challenging to your body (like beginning the couch to 5k program and taking up daily running? or trying the much loved by MFP jillian michaels 30 day shred?) and then possibly not eating back the calories burned, if approved by your dietitian/doctor?

i wish i could give straight advice on this but with your medical needs, i'm not sure anyone should be doing that on this forum..(unless they're type 1 diabetic too, perhaps?)

wishing you lots of luck in getting into shape by august! i'm sure you can build LOTS of muscle in that time, even if your diet can't be altered :) very happy for you that your husband is coming home sooner than expected -- that must be making you, your husband and your kids very happy!

That's why I'm asking on here; things to bring back to my dietician! :) Thank you very much!
    Unfortunately, until I lose a noticeable amount of weight I can't run. I've been diagnosed with scoliosis and spine rotation which is exacerbated by my leg-length difference and running sends my lower back into spasms for days. Un-fun for sure. It is my goal to be able to run a 5K with the hubs when he gets back and actually keep up with him.
    Thank you for your input!
  • bigsargswife
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm the proper authority on anything, because most days, my shirt barely matches my pants.

And I have no health conditions (which is why I started losing weight) yet. I researched foods that have negative values, like apples, broccoli, spinach stuff like that. You can google it there are a lot of them. Just stick to your 1200, follow the doctor's advice. Sometimes, zig zagging calories works because it tricks the body.

Good luck to you--and your husband, well, he's going to be a-okay with seeing you waiting for him. I'm sure he can't wait to get home to you--and it has way nothing to do with the way you see yourself...and everything to do with the way he sees you!!! With his heart :)
    Very, very true! Thank you!
  • bigsargswife
    Options
    My nephew has the pump too, what a great thing it is!!

I don't have any advice to give, really. Just wanted to say thanks to your husband - please send my heartfelt thanks along. Service men & women have my ultimate respect for their sacrifice - and yours too.

Good luck!
    Thank you for your kind words!
  • bigsargswife
    Options

^^ What she said -- I know its no great wisdom from me but why repeat what she's already said ;) He'll have spent 8 months with a bunch of mostly guys in the Middle East -- a hug and kiss from his wife that is healthy and happy that can give him a "run for his money" so to speak and the rest are just details.
    Haha! True! Thank you! :)
  • ericagraham35
    Options
    If you are going to do a cleanse, i HIGHLY recommend that Advocare 24 day Herbal cleanse! I am a huge Advocare user! Their products are the best on the market! You can check out the 24 day cleanse at www.advocare.com/1202314. It is under the product line "Trim". Let me know if you have any questions:)