no time to exercise! help!

Options
Hey! Im new to MFP and need help on how to fit exercise into my already packed schedule. Any ideas?

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    There's not really a magic answer for this - you have to make time. Wake up earlier, go to sleep later, try to get a workout in during your lunch hour. Take a look at your schedule and see what can be rearranged - and remember that workouts can be things like walks, bike rides, hikes - they don't always have to involve going to the gym.
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Simple, make time for yourself and budget execise into your daily schedule.
  • YMark
    YMark Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Easy. If you want to exercise and make lifestyle change you'll find the time. Easier.... do nothing.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Basically the same as everyone else said - if you want it, you'll make time for it.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Sorry but, we're all busy! Everyone has 30 minutes to work out. Do circuit training - it's 30 minutes of everything you need in a workout!
  • hallensd
    hallensd Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    There's not really a magic answer for this - you have to make time. Wake up earlier, go to sleep later, try to get a workout in during your lunch hour. Take a look at your schedule and see what can be rearranged - and remember that workouts can be things like walks, bike rides, hikes - they don't always have to involve going to the gym.

This! I am new here, as well. I have 5 young kids and my days can be hectic. Yet, I force myself to exercise AT LEAST 15 minutes a day (and I will increase that as I get more into shape). I just do DVDs at home. I wouldn't be able to make it to the gym and I don't have any equipment at home. The DVDs work just fine!
  • maxiek
    maxiek Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am also fairly new to MFP. However, on all the message boards I learned about 30 day shred (30ds) and the thing I love most about it is that it is only a 20 minute workout. So it literally adds less than a half an hour to my day. Level 1 is on youtube, search the message boards and you can read how amazing it is! I know finding time to go to the gym is actually a pain in the *kitten* and the amount of time it takes makes it easy to skip a workout. But be honest-do you have an extra 20 minutes to half hour a day? If so, try 30 day shred.
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Do you watch TV? If so, you have time. If I'm going to watch a movie, I try and work out on the stairstepper or treadmill.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    You have to make time for it. I work full time, take care of a husband and 2 kids, I make home cooked meals, own a small business and do respite care for an autistic child. I make time for what is important, simple as that.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    No offense meant here, and I'm not trying to be mean... but I call BS.

There is always someone who is busier than you, who is exercising more than you.

It is all about setting priorities, making the time, and not making excuses.

I have been that guy, several times. I work full time, I have also studied full-time whilst working and have had 2 kids under the age of 4. Did I sit around feeling sorry for myself and get fatter? You betcha. Do I now? HELL NO. I get up before dawn and kick my own *kitten*, before the kids even wake up.

I am making time for myself, because if I don't - no-one else will!
  • cjtescher
    cjtescher Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use workout DVDs from netflix.com - They have about 5 different 10 minute solution DVDs, so start out with 10 minutes then you will see results and want to add even more time!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I'd say invest in a couple pieces of equipment for your house. I have five kids, and sometimes it all happens in spurts. Today, I did 20 minutes early in the day (on my stationary bike) while my baby took a cat nap. Then I did 30 minutes later in the day when he was taking a slightly longer cat nap. Then before supper, I contemplated running up to my Curves for a quick 30 minutes... but decided to just hop on the bike for 10 more minutes. So I ended up with 60 minutes and a fair burn--in spurts.

You really just have to ask yourself, "how bad do I want it?" I really want a healthier life for myself, so I put forth the effort at any moments I can. :)
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Think about it...you have the same number of hours available to you as Einstein, Thomas Jefferson, Mother Theresa, Gandhi, and others have had. They were able to accomplish great things.

What is your priority? Surely there is 30 minutes a day you could find for exercise.
  • kittyraccoon7
    kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I work 2 jobs, 7 days a week and am a single mom to a 4 year old... I'm finding a way to exercise, I'm sure you can too! :flowerforyou:

I walk on my 10 minute breaks each day (allows me anywhere from 10mins-20mins of just walking!) and I fit in a workout when I can find someone to watch my son, but there's always dancing in my living room! :blushing:
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I am making time for myself, because if I don't - no-one else will!

^^^THIS!

We are all busy. Jobs, kids, school, community involvement, school involvement...whatever our poison we all seem to be way over-scheduled most of the time. You've got to decide that it's important enough to you to want to try to squeeze it in.

A few months ago I decided this was something I needed to do as well. So I found a way to make my work-outs happen during my lunch hour. Enough time has gone by now that if I don't get to work out over lunch, I get a little cagey. ;) It's easier for movement to become a habit than you might think! You can do it!
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Also, be aware that there are exercises you can do while you're... sitting at the computer posting on forums. Craigslist is a good resource for used items like thigh masters, under-desk bike pedals you can spin while you work, and other stationary routines you can do.

I put our Wii to good use at home. If the Hubs is watching t.v. when I want to work out, I go upstairs and just do some regular exercises we all learned in high school - windmills, toe-touches, tummy crunches. We can do this - no fancy equipment necessary.
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    Hmmm... I'm a little disappointed at some of these comments. I totallly hear what they're saying - but I don't think reaching out for suggestions to improve, only to get lectured and told they're just not trying hard enough is supportive. Anyway... it CAN be tough to fit in a workout - but there are ways you can do it. A few suggestions that might help you get on your way:

* Walk more where ever you're going. Take the stairs, not the elevators. If you have to drive to go somewhere - park far away from the enterence (Bruce Lee used to say this - and I swear by it). If you can take a bicycle to the store, or to run your errands - do it. It actually saves me time to ride my bike, as there's less traffic! Things like this allow you to get a "workout" in while getting things done.
    * Work a regular 9 - 5ish type of job? You are entitled to a lunch break - take it! :o) Allow yourself 20 mins of that break to go for a brisk walk. I used to zip up and down the stairs at our hospital. If you can get outside, watch your watch and go out for 10 mins, turn around and come back. If you can devote 30 mins of your break - try that! Even if it's just 3Xs/week to start.
    * Do you have a iPod or some kind of Outlook Calendar? Schedule 20 - 30 mins 3X/week for exercise to start. Hold that time sacred like you would a meeting, a doc's appointment, or something like that. If someone asks you to do something during your exercise time, you can just say "I have a 30 min commitment at that time," and don't give it up!
    * Get all your workout clothes (shoes, sox, bra, outfit, etc.) ready before you go to bed. Take the time to organize your stuff and either pack it in your car, or put it by your door (like I do). That way - when you get a moment - you can just grab your stuff and go! I find when I'm swamped, but suddenly get 40 mins... I will scramble to get my stuff together - which ends up wasting 10 - 20 mins! Organizing helps a lot!
    * Lastly - work out DVDs and videos may help, too. There are a lot with a variety of lengths.

Hope that helps! They are right in that you can get a workout in if you really want it... BUT sometimes we have to get a little creative. Once you start fitting it in - you'll crave the workout! :o) Good luck, and great job joining MFP and getting it done!

Cheers!
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    From WOMEN'S HEALTH MAGl
    You can also get a total-body workout, totally without any gear. Do these body-weight moves twice a week, completing the recommended sets and reps with perfect form.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/no-equipment-required-workout
  • mcrmsi77
    mcrmsi77 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hmmm... I'm a little disappointed at some of these comments. I totallly hear what they're saying - but I don't think reaching out for suggestions to improve, only to get lectured and told they're just not trying hard enough is supportive. Anyway... it CAN be tough to fit in a workout - but there are ways you can do it. A few suggestions that might help you get on your way:

* Walk more where ever you're going. Take the stairs, not the elevators. If you have to drive to go somewhere - park far away from the enterence (Bruce Lee used to say this - and I swear by it). If you can take a bicycle to the store, or to run your errands - do it. It actually saves me time to ride my bike, as there's less traffic! Things like this allow you to get a "workout" in while getting things done.
    * Work a regular 9 - 5ish type of job? You are entitled to a lunch break - take it! :o) Allow yourself 20 mins of that break to go for a brisk walk. I used to zip up and down the stairs at our hospital. If you can get outside, watch your watch and go out for 10 mins, turn around and come back. If you can devote 30 mins of your break - try that! Even if it's just 3Xs/week to start.
    * Do you have a iPod or some kind of Outlook Calendar? Schedule 20 - 30 mins 3X/week for exercise to start. Hold that time sacred like you would a meeting, a doc's appointment, or something like that. If someone asks you to do something during your exercise time, you can just say "I have a 30 min commitment at that time," and don't give it up!
    * Get all your workout clothes (shoes, sox, bra, outfit, etc.) ready before you go to bed. Take the time to organize your stuff and either pack it in your car, or put it by your door (like I do). That way - when you get a moment - you can just grab your stuff and go! I find when I'm swamped, but suddenly get 40 mins... I will scramble to get my stuff together - which ends up wasting 10 - 20 mins! Organizing helps a lot!
    * Lastly - work out DVDs and videos may help, too. There are a lot with a variety of lengths.

Hope that helps! They are right in that you can get a workout in if you really want it... BUT sometimes we have to get a little creative. Once you start fitting it in - you'll crave the workout! :o) Good luck, and great job joining MFP and getting it done!

Cheers!
    I was thinking the same thing! I get what they are saying but most everyone has been a little harsh rather than helpful. It does seem like there is not many hours in the day but you might have to give something up to make time for exercise. And it will prolly be something that you really enjoy like the time you spend on the computer or watching tv. But in the end you will feel so much better and you will prolly even like it better than what you end up giving up. There are also a lot of things on the net that give you ideas for exercises that help burn lots of calories but dont take a whole bunch of time. Look up interval training and resistance exercises! The thing I like is 30 minute circuit training you burn majors calories and get a great work out in just 30 minutes :) I hope this helps!!!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I had to get up an hour early to get my workouts in.
    It only takes 20-40 mins to do them 3 times a week!

It isnt rocket surgery!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!