Anyone else feel ashamed when they overeat?

Options
Because I just did and that is how I feel. It's funny, because I literally only ate a small fraction of the amount of calories that I used to eat several times a day. However, now that I am supposed to be losing I feel like a complete failure for eating what I ate. This is only my 2nd week on MFP. I sort of feel like b/c I had a good weight loss the 1st week I got lazy. I don't know. The real shame is that I am such an emotional eater. I eat because of how I feel emotionally not because of physical hunger.

I was at my goal weight 8 months ago. I have a deep seated fear I will never be there again. Sometimes I feel terrified and desperate.

If anyone can relate to this please respond. Thanks.

Replies

• Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a good idea to feel guilt over food. I think that isn't productive and isn't going to help you get to your goals. If you find you don't enjoy how you feel after you eat stuff like that then maybe you won't next time. It's all a learning process.

I will say how "fat" I feel is almost always directly connected to what I eat. I feel better and feel like I look better when I eat well. If I eat crappy, I feel crappy and I feel like I look super fat.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Disappointed in myself is probably the word I would use when I do that.

Ah...you've only been on MFP 2 weeks? Try not to be too hard on yourself Hon, you're HERE, you obviously are working hard on changing your patterns and you are aware of your actions.

That's more than many that haven't heard that click yet and joined up and began to look at their food pattern, 2 weeks ago what were you doing. Does it help to think of it that way instead... at how far you've come, rather than little blips in the road that happen to all of us. As time goes on, they happen less and less..really!

Dust yourself off and look ahead, each moment is a new one and each morning I set my goals to make my day the best. I try hard not to beat myself up when I don't follow through.

Beating ourselves up will never help with moving forward. It's tough at the beginning, everything is so new, it's hard when we feel like we've failed or like we'll never be able to get back up. But we can, we each make that decision for ourselves in how long we wait to get back up and back on the road again.

:drinker: Wishing you well:flowerforyou:
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    lots of people go through this, including me. in fact, i log everyday activities (in my opinion they shouldn't be logged on a regular basis) when i go over on calories because i can't bear to see the red numbers. and then that makes me feel even more guilty. best way to recover: work it off tomorrow, stay positive about your goals and try to move on.
  • Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It's okay. A lot of people feel this way. Just try to be positive and tell yourself that tomorrow is another day and tomorrow is going to be a better day. Try not to be such an emotional eater and do something else besides eat when you are emotional. I know that is easier said than done. I use to be an emotional eater and I snacked constantly and mindlessly too but now I am fully aware of things. I only eat when I am hungry. It's a mind trick thing you do to yourself. You'll learn.
  • Mills187
    Mills187 Posts: 171
    Options
    Everytime I over eat I HAVE to go do some sort of a workout even if its just some jumping jacks or something... makes me feel a little better :)
  • GabeRami
    GabeRami Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    lots of people go through this, including me. in fact, i log everyday activities (in my opinion they shouldn't be logged on a regular basis) when i go over on calories because i can't bear to see the red numbers. and then that makes me feel even more guilty. best way to recover: work it off tomorrow, stay positive about your goals and try to move on.

Right on, tomorrow is a new day, and a fresh start. Losing weight is hard, and I believe you have to take it in small steps, one day at a time.
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    I always feel completely disappointed in myself if I overdo it. And when I overdo it, I OVERDO it. Like instead of eating 3 cookies like the bag says as a serving, I'd eat the WHOLE BAG, in one sitting. I can still do that and it's sad. Very horrible habit.

I actually talked myself out of a binge the other night by repeating, "A moment on the lips, forever on the hips." I can eat and eat and it only takes a few minutes. But when it takes months of hard work to lose the weight that only took a few minutes to put on, I should know better. Reminding myself of that made those cookies look far less satisfying :P
  • chic_mama_25
    Options
    I totally relate. I try not to think about it too much or punish myself bc then the temptation to overeat is worse the next time. And I don't want to get unhealthily obsessed with eating, although sometimes I feel MFP doesn't help in that way.