using MFP for a month and no weight loss! why?!

Options
- I have gained about 15 pounds in the last year and it just won't come off :( I used to dance really intensively (4+ hrs a day, 5 days a week) but now I'm in college and I only have 1 dance class a day, 4 days a week.
I know 15 might not sound like a lot to some, and I'm technically still in my healthy BMI.. but I can see the change in my body and I feel it as well. My old pants don't fit anymore and my body fat has increased. I really want to get back down to my old weight! That's where I felt the best.

I have been trying to get rid of this extra weight for about 6 months already.
I joined MFP in January because I was hoping it would help me track my intake better and kick-start my weight loss . .but I haven't lost one pound!

I dance 4 days a week for about 60 to 90 minutes. I usually sweat, but it's not super vigorous. I go to the gym to get my high intensity work outs in on the days I don't have dance, or some days I'll double up when I feel like my dance class wasn't challenging enough. I use the arc trainer, elliptical, I run intervals on the treadmill (usually 30 to 45 mins) . I use 8 to 15lb weights and work my upper body.. I don't really use weights (only occasionally) on my legs because I'm not looking to build muscle there and I work them a lot in dance.
I eat lots of oatmeal, salad, edemame beans, chicken, greek yogurt, bananas, apples, and nuts. . I have been finding it hard to stay within the sugar requirements. I'm trying to cool it on the carbs and cut out processed foods & sweets..I have (too many) days where something bad works it's way into my day ( like m&ms,sugary cereal or too many pop chips..) BUT if I eat something bad I'll usually work out to burn some of it off and stay within my calorie limit.

I really can't figure out why I haven't lost ANYTHING! I've read a lot, and I feel like it could be anything and everything! I convince myself it's everything from not losing because I'm eating too many hidden calories, to the gym machines aren't giving the correct calorie burn reading, or my BMR is lower than I think, or I'm eating too LITTLE calories.. or I'm eating too much sugar.. or stress and episodes of depression has got the weight clinging to my body OR I'm doing too much cardio, or not enough. . etc etc. !!
..I really just don't know which one it is. .or if it's ANY of them!

I have had weeks where I eat under my daily calories, and weeks where I have gone over.. and neither one made any change on the scale! So I don't know which direction to go!

I really want to see some progress! I feel like I've been trying so hard for so long now and just nothing is working!

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Chester_1
    Options
    I'm no expert on the subject, but one thing I've heard over and over again is that you shouldn't base your progress entirely off the scale. I've been told that muscle weights significantly more than fat, so it's entirely possible to lose fat and gain weight. I keep an eye on the scale, but I also use measurements of my hips, waist and thighs to track how I'm doing. Could it be that you're just gaining muscle with all the cardio you're doing?
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

I have had weeks where I eat under my daily calories, and weeks where I have gone over.. and neither one made any change on the scale! So I don't know which direction to go!

This could be a big part of your problem. Your body needs to stick at something for some time to get things going and get the weight loss started. You've been doing this a month, but from the sounds of the above you've been yo-yoing your calories. You're probably confusing your body. Try sticking at eating the right amount of net calories for a longer period of time, without trying to rush things along or becoming impatient.