elliptical vs treadmill

So I opted on buying the elliptical and at first I wished I hadn't. It took me a month to build up any tolerance. I started literally only doing like 5 minute workouts and needed a break half way into those!!! Now I'm up to 20 minutes and doing good. What I wonder is if anyone has lost any sufficient weight just using an elliptical? And is it really any better than just getting on the treadmill?

Replies

• I think when it comes to exercise, different things work better than others depending on the person. Personally, the elliptical didn't help me lose much weight. When I switched over to treadmill, running outside, or using a machine called the Arc Trainer, I started seeing more significant results.

It is cardio, you can adjust the levels of resistance, add time, etc, and if it works for you- then great!

I am fairly certain that the treadmill or running outside is a better option in terms of bone health, because on the elliptical, while you are lifting your legs to propel the machine, you aren't lifting your feet, and the machine is absorbing all the shock.
  • The only thing I do know for sure is that I have HUGE hips and a bad knee so its kind of good in the sense that I don't absorb any shock! lol... I definately feel a burn in my thighs, almost like i've done squats. It burns so bad that I can't do it as long as I could be walking and I'm really disappointed now because I invested in this Thing and I feel like I've set myself up for failure now. : (
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    i lost weight on the elliptical, but i used pretty high resistance and pushed myself to go as long as i could (longest time was 40 minutes). however i have lost weight faster running on the treadmill. do what is comfortable for you, the important part is that you're exercising!
  • The only thing I do know for sure is that I have HUGE hips and a bad knee so its kind of good in the sense that I don't absorb any shock! lol... I definately feel a burn in my thighs, almost like i've done squats. It burns so bad that I can't do it as long as I could be walking and I'm really disappointed now because I invested in this Thing and I feel like I've set myself up for failure now. : (

I don't consider it a failure of an investment at all! You're building up endurance, you're practicing a healthier lifestyle, I think it's more of a success than you're viewing it. If you have a bad knee, then the elliptical might be the form of cardio for you. You're still going to lose weight if you keep at it, become healthier, strengthen your heart, etc,. You'll reap the benefits, no doubt.

It's just my personal take on the subject. Some people swear by the elliptical, others swear by running / treadmill.
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    I have an elliptical at home as well and it works wonders for me in terms of my knees since I essentially weigh twice what I should, so therefore having less shock to my knees is a good thing. However, since my friend and I have started going to the gym it's just been sitting at my house collecting dust and I've been using the treadmill at the gym to work on the C25K program and I've lost 24 pounds this year alone.
  • ricky750
    ricky750 Posts: 5 Member
    One of the nice things about elliptical is the ability to add HIIT, as with a treadmill it's kind of difficult to go into a true sprint (takes too much time for the machine to ramp up to speed). Overall, whatever gets the blood pumping is a good thing :) but I opt for elliptical due to (in addition to what I mentioned above) the low-impact nature, the incorporation of arms and upper body (holding the bar things), and the ability to add resistance (mimicking running on sand and what-not) to control muscle effort in addition to mere cardio. Adding incline to the treadmill just doesn't feel the same to me.
  • I think it's a matter of preference. If you will use the treadmill more, then that's the way to go, if you'll use the Elliptical more, then that's for you.
    I personally HATE running, but I can workout on the elliptical for ages.

Cardio is cardio.

But if you really want to shift the weight, then you need to start doing interval training, and if you want it to shift it even faster then High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the way to go.

And both are possible on the elliptical and the treadmill, it's all about heart rate and effort.

Start off with just interval training.
    5 mins warmup
    1 minute at vigorous effort (70 - 80% max heart rate/effort) and 2 minutes recovery (not stopping, just slowing down a little to recover your heart rate back to about 60%)
    5 mins cooldown
    Do this for 30+ minutes.

Then work your way to HIIT:
    5 mins warmup
    20 seconds max effort (try hit 100%) and 10 moderate effort (60% - 70%)
    5 mins cooldown
    If you can do more than 20 mins of this, you're doing it wrong...
  • The elliptical is easier than the treadmill. I can run a mile an hour faster on the elliptical than the treadmill. I feel like I'm cheating on the elliptical. I prefer running outdoors over using the treadmill or elliptical....but sometimes you don't have a choice.
  • i use the elliptical most days, built up to 30 minutes & on a high resistance, would do more if i had time. There is less impact on the joints than running. I think that treadmill running would have more impact on weight reduction, but with a little more pain.......good luck with experimenting
  • Just another thing, the above posters are right the impact you get from running on a treadmill is MUCH more than the elliptical and also more than road running. Sounds weird, but it's true, since the treadmill is moving towards you and the road is not.
  • I think it's a matter of preference. If you will use the treadmill more, then that's the way to go, if you'll use the Elliptical more, then that's for you.

Cardio is cardio.

But if you really want to shift the weight, then you need to start doing interval training, and if you want it to shift it even faster then High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is the way to go.

And both are possible on the elliptical and the treadmill, it's all about heart rate and effort.

5 mins warmup
    1 minute at vigorous effort (70 - 80% max heart rate/effort) and 2 minutes recovery (not stopping, just slowing down a little to recover your heart rate back to about 60%)
    5 mins cooldown
    Do this for 30+ minutes.

5 mins warmup
    5 mins cooldown

Can you tell me more about HIIT? I've been seeing post about it but how does it help weight loss compared to just regular 'ole cardio training? (Yes, I'm from the south)

Cardio is cardio.

5 mins warmup
    5 mins cooldown
    Do this for 30+ minutes.

5 mins warmup
    5 mins cooldown

Can you tell me more about HIIT? I've been seeing post about it but how does it help weight loss compared to just regular 'ole cardio training? (:smile: Yes, I'm from the south):smile:
  • ricky750
    Oh, I forgot to add- the ability to go in reverse (i.e. run backwards!) on the elliptical really adds a new and interesting dimension to the machine, and shifts emphasis to a different set of muscles while still working that cardio! :)

All in all, treadmill and elliptical are both good machines, treadmill aimed more at a pure runner -counting pacing, great for training distances etc, and the elliptical is engineered to involve more of the muscles of the body in a workout/cardio setting.

Remember, the Treadmill dictates the pace to you - with the Elliptical you dictate the pace to it, thus a little more willpower is necessary. Setting Elliptical resistance too low or not challenging yourself can result in a lack of results :) If you aren't interval training, pick a pace (speed/steps per min) and try to stay near that pace for the duration of the workout as the resistance varies with the program. You'll find it very tempting to sloooow down as you get tired or the resistance increases (sometimes in Mountain setting it's impossible to keep the same pace), those times you can use upper body to 'help' a little more to give a nice boost :) And good music with a good beat in the headphones is a great way to keep the pace up as well!

Good luck!
  • unpunishable
    unpunishable Posts: 5 Member
    2 ys ago I started losing weight when my dietician advised to walk fast on a treadmill at least 40 minutes 3 times a week (at least as well!). I lost 12 kilos within a couple of month (at the beginning I was 62 kilos). After a year or so, I guess, I was a bit bored by the treadmill and switched onto the elliptical. That was much more pleasant and less monotonous, but... The weight I had gained a bit by that time just wouldn't leave! So for me treadmill is the superfatburner, and elliptical just trained my heart... hope so.
  • ricky750
    HIIT is short for High Intensity Interval Training, it's an advanced technique that should be saved for athletes and people who already have been training for a long long time. That said, Interval training in general can be done by anyone and can add some spice of difference to a cardio routine.

Basically, the premise is that the body adapts to a set pace over time (think of the idea of a 'second wind'). Thus, a 45min cardio session at one set pace will burn calories while you're actively moving, but varying the pace of your workout for the duration of the workout (speeding up for a set time, then slowing down for a set time) will keep the body guessing and thus unable to adapt itself. This can increase metabolism for a time even after the actual workout is over (increased metabolism = more calories burned).

There are many different types of interval training out there, anything with varied pace counts- but HIIT is specific to the idea that not only are you training varied Fast/Slow (or Fast/Medium) paces, but the Fast pace is done with High Intensity, i.e. an all-out sprint. This can spike the heart-rate very high and can be hard on the body, it's definitely more of an advanced technique. As with Interval Training, there is no 'one' set way to do it. The sprint/jog or even sprint/walk session times vary based on the specific program. They can be done on elliptical machine, outside on a track or a field, running hills, spinning, a rowing machine, swimming, pretty much anywhere you can vary flat-out sprint and then a recovery pace. Generally HIIT is only performed for 12-20 minutes per day (and if you're doing it right you feel like you are about to throw up when it's over), but the increased metabolism is supposed to burn more for up to 24-48 hours post-workout.

HIIT is not for everyone, but regular interval training is much safer and can be a fun change of pace for anyone.
  • ricky750
    The elliptical is easier than the treadmill. I can run a mile an hour faster on the elliptical than the treadmill. I feel like I'm cheating on the elliptical. I prefer running outdoors over using the treadmill or elliptical....but sometimes you don't have a choice.

haha, You aren't cheating on elliptical :) Just increase the resistance! It's a different beast than the treadmill so specific bits really shouldn't be compared directly. Find the pace that challenges you, no matter if it's faster or slower than the treadmill, then go from there!

Remember, if you feel you're moving too quickly, a nice little tweak of that 'resistance' setting can slow you down right away. Generally if you are on a program, increasing the resistance changes the settings across the board (the program then increases and decreases from that new base-point), so you don't have to keep adjusting.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    I think it's really up to the person (:

I was exactly the same way when I first started on the elliptical - I could only do five minutes, maximum ten! But theeen, I chose to work out in our home gym, rather than at my crummy downstairs-apartment gym. Being in front of the TV whilst on the elliptical made the biggest difference - I can now watch an entire movie whilst on the elliptical. Same machine, actually doing higher resistance, and for an hour and a half (: I think it's more a mental thing, I just needed some kind of distraction to keep me from getting bored or feeling the growing aches in my muscles.

Think most things have been said in regards to the elliptical vs treadmill argument. Personally, I'm a fan of both and look to use both in the same workout. The treadmill gets my heart going, and I love the way it shapes the inside of my thighs.
  • ricky750
    Just another thing, the above posters are right the impact you get from running on a treadmill is MUCH more than the elliptical and also more than road running. Sounds weird, but it's true, since the treadmill is moving towards you and the road is not.

This comment is incorrect and should be disregarded. Whether it's you or the surface that's moving doesn't have anything to do with anything. Many treadmills have soft giving surfaces which are lower impact than road running.
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    everyone will have a different opinion on this, personally I like the ARC trainer because it seems harder than the elliptical.
    On the other hand I would prefer the elliptical over running on a treadmill any day. That's mainly because I have a knee injury that makes it impossible to run for a long time without messing up the knee and being in serious pain for a long time. So for my body, the elliptical, biking, and arc trainer is a way better work-out when it comes to cardio.
  • bump