feeling unmotivated

Options
:brokenheart: ive lost 8kg (19lbs, 1stone 5lbs) in 5 weeks but i cant see a difference :0( i know its a long road and ive got a long way to go i just thought after losing that amount of weight id be able to see a difference. its just making me unmotivated at the minute ..........:sad:

Replies

• Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Hey :) I've only started to feel a little difference now after 22 pounds. I guess cos we have more to lose we won't lose it as quick. After all, it's only been a few weeks. Why don't you start taking measurements so you will know where you have lost the weight from? xxxx
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Aw, don't feel sad. :flowerforyou: You're doing so well!!! It'll all add up in the end. Just think about getting through the next 5 weeks and I bet you WILL see a difference then!
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Best advise I can give is take measurements.
    I'm the same, I can't see any difference, but tape measure says I have lost over 6 inches all together. It really spurred me on when I was feeling bad! xx

Feel free to add me if you want some support! x
  • redsteve65
    redsteve65 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Keep going and you WILL notice a difference. I've lost some and can't really tell but others around me have noticed a difference. I bet that your friends are noticing a difference. I think we are probably our own worst critics.

Keep going and I am convicned that you will see a difference.
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    thanks for the advice and encouragment, i will go invest in a tape measure it sounds like a great idea! :flowerforyou:

i think im just having one of those days (im sure it will be the first of many) its my first ever attemp at losing weight and i know im doing great but i think using a tape measure will reaffirm that! xxx
  • Cat_296
    Options
    Pile up 19lbs of butter - then you'll see it ;-)

On a more serious note - you often don't see small changes in yourself because you see yourself every day. If you had 'before' and 'now' photos then I suspect that we would be able to pick out all the changes in about 30 seconds flat!!

You're doing really well - keep going! :-)
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    19lbs in 5 weeks is rather alot to lose HOW?
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    19lbs in 5 weeks is rather alot to lose HOW?

just healthy eating and calorie counting, ive stopped having white bread and changed to wheat germ (im fussy and dont like brown bread usually), ive started eating breakfast (even if its just a banana or a brunch bar), ive started grilling instead of frying and changed to diet drinks. small changes really but its working........ oh and i started work so im not sat on my bottom all day every day :wink:
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    Pile up 19lbs of butter - then you'll see it ;-)

On a more serious note - you often don't see small changes in yourself because you see yourself every day. If you had 'before' and 'now' photos then I suspect that we would be able to pick out all the changes in about 30 seconds flat!!

You're doing really well - keep going! :-)

i dont know how to add pictures to a post or id try getting some piccies up :huh:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Last year when I tried to workout and eat right, I got demotivated when the scale wouldnt move (my plateau) and even though my friends were telling me that it looks like I've been working out, I just wouldnt listen and insisted on watching the scale. Eventually I just gave up.

This time, I just want to feel better about myself. I want to be able to run! I want to be able to climb those stairs like I did as a kid. I wanna have fun again! When you realize that what others think and what the scale says dont matter and the only thing that matters is YOU, I think you'll see better results and get more motivated!
  • santamommy
    Options
    I started seeing a difference about 23 pounds. When you go through those times of no motivation keep on logging everything you eat and all of your exercises no matter how bad it gets....wait it out because it will pass as long as you dont give up. Read through the success stories, hang a pair of pants you want to fit into on the back of the bathroom door...these are things that help me when I go through that...you are doing an awsome job! Hang in there! :drinker:
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    Last year when I tried to workout and eat right, I got demotivated when the scale wouldnt move (my plateau) and even though my friends were telling me that it looks like I've been working out, I just wouldnt listen and insisted on watching the scale. Eventually I just gave up.

This time, I just want to feel better about myself. I want to be able to run! I want to be able to climb those stairs like I did as a kid. I wanna have fun again! When you realize that what others think and what the scale says dont matter and the only thing that matters is YOU, I think you'll see better results and get more motivated!

i want to see a difference for ME :happy: i want to feel healthy and have more energy for my kids (which i have noticed i have a bit more)
    im not into scale watching, i get weighed once a week at home (same time, same day) and once a month at my GP just to confirm my weight loss and make sure its a healthy loss,
    i dont want to give in, i think i just needed that extra kick up the bottom today or a bit extra encouragment.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE ENCOURAGMENT AND TIPS AND I REALLY MEAN THAT FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART XXX :heart:
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with feeling a bit unmotivated, we've all had gone through alot of those and this is why we're here, to share and try to get a fix! I'm glad you're feeling better though and I wish you the best of luck in your adventures!
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Take Measurements and of the odd places- this week my hips and waist stayed the same- but my neck is 1inch, bingo wings are .5inch on each arm smaller and i only lost 1.7lbs this week.all my cloths fit the same after 15.2lbs lost but i got a new vest top 4 zumba last night in my normal size 22, as i have a large bust wich hasnt changed and its to big, all over,

I have motivation issues to so i signed up for race 4 life so i have an end goal to keep my eyes on- i want to jog atleast 3k of the 5k. maybe you need to set a goal to ?
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    Take Measurements and of the odd places- this week my hips and waist stayed the same- but my neck is 1inch, bingo wings are .5inch on each arm smaller and i only lost 1.7lbs this week.all my cloths fit the same after 15.2lbs lost but i got a new vest top 4 zumba last night in my normal size 22, as i have a large bust wich hasnt changed and its to big, all over,

I have motivation issues to so i signed up for race 4 life so i have an end goal to keep my eyes on- i want to jog atleast 3k of the 5k. maybe you need to set a goal to ?

thats such a good idea!!! good luck with the race for life and on your own personal journey xx
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Hey girl I understand how you feel! Don't let it get you down! I've lost 25 so far and I am just beginning to see subtle changes in my body....I've lost a pant size and inches all over. My torso looks a tad more toned and smaller, and just last night when I looked down at my thighs they weren't quite so big!! The change isn't that drastic, only I have really noticed these changes so far in my body. When you start out at a higher weight like we have, it takes a longer time to SEE the changes. But, they are there....

Here is something that may better explain what I am trying to say, it's called the "Paper Towel Theory" (not my own, this has been around for awhile now):

Here’s a little inspiration for those of you who are worried about not seeing any changes in your body so far. It’s what is called the “Paper Towel Theory” and helped me a lot.
    ===================================
    PAPER TOWEL THEORY

"Let’s assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 100 paper towels on it (one for each day). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your “before” picture). The other one represents you. The core of the roll represents the lean you. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean you.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put the roll next to the full roll for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can’t be working for me!

But, being a good you continue to follow your WOE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare the two rolls and still notice very little difference.

But you are still determined! you work hard! Eating clean meals. Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day. Soon enough you get enough courage to compare paper towel rolls again. Holy Protein! The roll is empty and you are skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area – just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same – your perception is just different! And you’ll never see the inside, if you aren’t patient while the outside is coming off!"

Hope that helps hun.
  • yummymummyto2
    Options
    Hey girl I understand how you feel! Don't let it get you down! I've lost 25 so far and I am just beginning to see subtle changes in my body....I've lost a pant size and inches all over. My torso looks a tad more toned and smaller, and just last night when I looked down at my thighs they weren't quite so big!! The change isn't that drastic, only I have really noticed these changes so far in my body. When you start out at a higher weight like we have, it takes a longer time to SEE the changes. But, they are there....

Here is something that may better explain what I am trying to say, it's called the "Paper Towel Theory" (not my own, this has been around for awhile now):

Here’s a little inspiration for those of you who are worried about not seeing any changes in your body so far. It’s what is called the “Paper Towel Theory” and helped me a lot.
    ===================================
    PAPER TOWEL THEORY

"Let’s assume you go out and buy two rolls of paper towels, each with only 100 paper towels on it (one for each day). You put one aside, and keep it for future reference (your “before” picture). The other one represents you. The core of the roll represents the lean you. The towels represent the fat that is covering the lean you.

Each day during the first week, you tear a sheet off, representing the fat he has lost for the day. Next, you put the roll next to the full roll for comparison. No noticeable difference!!! Even at the end of the week! This can’t be working for me!

But, being a good you continue to follow your WOE. At the end of weeks two and three, you continue to compare the two rolls and still notice very little difference.

But you are still determined! you work hard! Eating clean meals. Three more weeks go by, the sheets peeling off day after day. Soon enough you get enough courage to compare paper towel rolls again. Holy Protein! The roll is empty and you are skinny! OK, not skinny, but less huge!!!

The lesson to be learned is that fat, like paper towels, comes off in sheets. When you are heavy, you are big around. And when you are big around, that fat is spread over a MUCH larger area – just like that outside towel sheet. The closer you get to the lean you, the more each lost pound of fat shows, because it is spread over a smaller area.

While the outside sheet may only cover 1 layer of the roll, the inside sheet may go around 4 times. That last sheet looks like it gives you 4 times the results of the first sheet, but in reality, the results are the same – your perception is just different! And you’ll never see the inside, if you aren’t patient while the outside is coming off!"

Hope that helps hun.

THAT IS A REALLY GREAT WAY OF LOOKING AT IT AND IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE XX
  • justkate2
    justkate2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok, I had a HORRIBLE february. I had no motivation to exercise and I was starving all the time. (Pretty much eating everything in site) I put on an extra 3 pounds. I think that i was stress eating but i know i should have had more will power. I even stopped going to the gym ( i used to go at least 3 to 4 times a week.

I am committed to change this pattern in March. Any ideas of how to achieve this would be great. The program has me at 1300 calories a day and I always go over I dont know if i should up them or what.

Has anyone else gone thru this? and if so how did you overcome it Thanks for listining justkate
  • zudo
    zudo Posts: 2
    Options
    what a great analogy. Thanks for the mental visual when I needed it
  • numee2012
    Options
    thats great Andrea i was going to say pack a back pack with as much weight as you can fit in near to your loss amount and then try and do day to day stuff you will soon feel the difference :O)