how much do you "rest" on your rest days?

Options
Hi all,

so just wondering.... with rest days... what do you do?

Is it okay say to do pilates or just a long walk or does it have to be absolutely nothing??

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If it is a true rest day then you wouldnt do anything, but I know some people feel guilty if they do absolutely nothing - so go for a walk for an hour or something :-) x
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I usually rest, but I'd go on a walk if I wanted to. Sure. It would be a fun walk though, not pushing myself. It would be for leisure.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Yeah I tried pilates for the first time tonight after being recommended it by my GP as I have scoliosis and I found it really fun.

And I'm using it for core strength, posture, etc not calories burned really.
  • odeshee
    odeshee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    on my rest day i don't even drive by the gym, no guilty thoughts just clear my mind and start again the next ay
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    on my rest days I don't work out
    I do walk, I tend to walk everywhere, and my walks are like 1h 4 miles/h (fe to work)
    If I feel like I bike, but for leasure, not kcals...
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    depends on the rest day. If its a day between strength training, then I try to do some cardio, although not as much. If its like a Sunday, try and get me out of bed!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Active rest is the best rest! A walk, slow bike ride, or similar promotes healing and rejuvenation for tired muscles through oxygenation and other benefits. There are lots of studies to be found that demonstrate this. Google active rest and you will find pages and pages of articles and studies.
  • santamommy
    Options
    I get my blanket and get in my recliner and watch movies, Later I give myself a pedicure and a long hot soak in the tub. It's a true rest and pamper me day because I know I deserve it after a long week of working out. Besides, while your body is healing you are also getting results faster.
  • Shannie93
    Options
    I go for a walk or do yoga :)
    If my body aches to much because I need a serious rest day, I just relax in the bath and on the sofa and do the occasional spot of cleaning, so I'm still at least a smidge active :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    bump
  • jonbairam11
    Options
    I think it depends on your workout days..if you you work out really hard then a rest day could be walking a little or swimming or just going about your business. If you training is a little less intensive then you should probably just walk and on rest days.

I tend to work out quite hard on training days as I am forced to do not a lot on rest days but be in the car and the office.

I believe the main thing is not to stagnate, do not think you have to be still on rest days or ever for that matter. Our bodies are much more robust than we think they are.

thanks what I think anyways
    j
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I think it depends on your workout days..if you you work out really hard then a rest day could be walking a little or swimming or just going about your business. If you training is a little less intensive then you should probably just walk and on rest days.

I tend to work out quite hard on training days as I am forced to do not a lot on rest days but be in the car and the office.

I believe the main thing is not to stagnate, do not think you have to be still on rest days or ever for that matter. Our bodies are much more robust than we think they are.

thanks what I think anyways
    j

okay sweet, well atm i am doing

m : 45 minutes weights, 45 cardio .. plus an extra 2-3 hours in class and i try to give everything my 100%
    t : 45 minutes cardio and pilates
    w : 1 hour cardio
    t : 45 min weights, plus 2 hours of exercise classes plus 2 or so hours of prac
    f : 45 minutes cardio and pilates
    s : active rest day - walk, bike ride, etc
    s : 1 hour cardio, 45 minutes weights plus abs
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't work out,I have a toddler so i wouldn't say i get to fully rest like id want to.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I do cardio workouts (20-50 minutes) on my rest days. You can do cardio everyday and no rest is needed. Rest is only needed if you're doing heavy strength training.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It has a lot to do with what you're resting from and what your goals are. If you are lifting heavy to build strength then you really need the rest. If you are pushing high-intensity cardio (like training for some event) then you'll need some form of rest, too.
  • oceanamy2287
    oceanamy2287 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I go for an easy walk around the lake in my development.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    having a rest day isn't an excuse to lay around all day! Of course you can go on a walk and do piliates.

On my rest days, I do a lot of yoga, situps, pushups, walks, etc.
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I usually do a bit of weight training, very light, and perhaps a walk...other than that..I am relaxing.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I workout on my rest days and rest on my workout days.
  • tinamatteson
    tinamatteson Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My rest day is Sunday, and I don't even give the gym a thought. I do all my normal Sunday activities... sleep in a bit, go to church, have lunch and spend time with the family... It's SO lovely. :love: