Really bummed- inches not coming off waist and hips- help!!!

Options
I have lost 18 lbs since 1/3/12 and I just went to measure my waist and hips and my waist is still 34inches and hips 44inches. I have tons of fat to lose and inches in my stomach and hips.. i would look SOOO much better without all this roll of fat on my tummy and fat hips.

I need help- I do a free weight class mondays - tuesday thru thursday is strength training on machines. Friday night is ZUmba class. Oh I do elipticals or bike too on tuesd-thursday. weekends are so hectic- i do zumba wii at home or hit the gym for cardio and some strength training. yes I rest my body adequately. upper on tues n thursday and weds n friday is lower and abs.

REALLY need to start seeing reduction in that area so how can I. - had knee surgery that went bad- horrible edema so my knee is dicey to kneel on just fyi. surgery was last june but they wsaid will always be somewhat painful to kneel on:(

thanks Karen in Vermont.

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen, it's great that you exercise and even lift weights. But for you to burn fat you must eat in a caloric deficit... it's as simple as that. You'll need to be very accurate with recording what you put into your mouth. Set you daily/weekly calories at a slight deficit of our TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). A few searches in this forum and you'll figure out to calculate your caloric deficit.

Measure your foods on a kitchen scale and try to be as accurate and consistent as possible.

Exercise is fine for conditioning yourself and maintaining/building muscle, but a calorie deficit is ALL you need to lose fat.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    It is simply a case of losing more body fat. You're body removes the fat from where it see's fit, we cannot target fat loss.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    exactly ^ what matt said,

you could well have lost visceral fat which is the fat which surrounds your organs, like the below photo

visceralfat.gif
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Yeah, as said before... your body decides to lose the fat from where it feels like, instead of where we want it to!

My arms are super tight and defined now, but I still have those lovehandles and chubby back, it will start to shrink, just give it some more time! Every pound lost from somewhere else is one pound closer to where you want it Hon :)
  • vtpugs
    vtpugs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks- i am under calories every day:) are there any exercises that I could do to focus on that area?
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Pilates is supposed to be good as it works your core muscles also TRX suspension training, I have the same issue and my PT suggested TRX, 3 sessions so far so no results as yet.
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well you can't technically spot reduce, and I too have huge issues with losing weight in my waist and thighs after 4 children. Always before when I would diet or exercise the weight just would not come off there, BUT I am doing 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels and for some crazy reason, most of my inches lost have been on the waist this time. I have lost 3 inches on my natural waist and 3.5 inches at the belly button and 1.5 on each thigh in only 15 days. Its worth a try!!
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    exactly ^ what matt said,

you could well have lost visceral fat which is the fat which surrounds your organs, like the below photo

visceralfat.gif
    :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

This is especially true if you find you are now colder at temps you used to be comfortable at. I'd love my tummy gone too, but crunches all day still won't target your tummy for loss :noway: . It just takes time. Good luck! :flowerforyou: