Ways to make walking more intense?

Options
Hi, hoping for some ideas. I have three jobs and effectively work 7.00am to 11.30 pm Mon-Fri, and 8.45am-11.30pm Sat/Sun, which means that the only way of fitting in exercise is during my commute from one to the other, as I'm not prepared to compromise on sleep!
Walking a minimum of 30-40 mins five days/week, at 3.2-3.7 mph (carrying approx. 5kg of handbag and papers), and more on Saturday & Sunday, I have lost nearly 30 pounds in three months, but my weight loss has been stalled since early January, and changing my diet doesn't seem to be moving things along. I'm a little over halway to my goal, and I want to get there, so does anyone have any ideas for intensifying a walking work out? Unfortunately there is no shower facility at the job I walk to, so stepping up to running isn't really an option (and I have a knee injury that makes it unadvisable anyway), and I live in a city where the cyclist death-toll is rather scary, particularly on my commute route, so I'm not really keen on that.
Critical factors; no more than 30-40 minutes, must be productive ie.actually move me from one place to the other (no treadmills/ellipticals!), safe to do during early evening hours and doesn't require a change of clothes! Thoughts?

Replies

• Jazzmagic
    Jazzmagic Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I know you say that you carry weights in the form of handbag etc... but maybe get some wrist and ankle weights?
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Can you stop every 5-10 minutes and do a little circuit like some jumping jacks/lunges/squats/push-ups... that sort of thing? Like walk really briskly and get to where there's a bench and do 20 incline push ups... get to the next place where maybe there's a little concrete wall and do 20 step-ups on each leg. It may get the heart rate up more without really causing you to sweat.

Just an idea. Oh, and sometimes when I stall out I need to increase my calories for a few weeks by 100-200. Just another idea!

Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I know you say that you carry weights in the form of handbag etc... but maybe get some wrist and ankle weights?

DO NOT WALK WITH ANKLE WEIGHTS.

Unless, of course, you don't like having knees and hips in working condition.

Are there any hills in your area?
  • dfwren
    Options
    Try going a different route, if available, one that has an incline.
  • AlEugene
    AlEugene Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You might try Nordic Waking. It works for me?
  • SandyChampWins
    SandyChampWins Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I use ankle wts with no problems but I also use very little wt. Start small til you know if it will bother you or not. :wink:
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I use ankle wts with no problems but I also use very little wt. Start small til you know if it will bother you or not. :wink:

Good luck with that in the long-term.

Even the package says not to use them for walking or jogging.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

Are there any hills in your area?

THIS. I am doing a Personal Training Course atm and the person who suggested ankle weights to increase fitness got the BIGGEST lecture.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

You really shouldn't....
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Sadly, as you lose weight your body offers less resistance whilst walking. A simple way is to replace the weight you lose by using a weight vest. Possibly not practical if you are going from one job to the next.......

I found as I lost weight, replaceing it with a weight vest actually "tricked" my body into working at the same level. this actually improves your fitness as your having to work harder....JUST DON'T OVER DO IT!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Sadly not an incline to be seen on the walk I do, or any other route I could use to get from point A to point B, except a very small downhill just at the end! I like the circuit idea, though that will cut into the time available for walking a bit - I'll give it a try anyway, and will google the Nordic Walking suggestion (have never heard of it!). I suspect that ankle weights wouldn't be great for my knee, but wrist weights/weight vest are interesting ideas. Thanks!
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I suggested adding hand weights. Doing bicep curls, raises, presses and such as you walk will keep your arms nice and toned!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I work in the city too and walk everywhere.... Can you swap to a back pack and weigh it down more? Heavier loads burn more calories.
    What about lunch? Do you get a lunch break? Walk at lunch or do the stairs in your building (if they have any) stop using the elevator.
    Go out on all breaks and walk around.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimmie - I'll try the backpack (good idea! probably better for my back, anyway...) - might be simpler than a weights vest. I've been using my lunch break most days to either do some additional walking or run errands (on foot!) since I plateaued (that looks wrong - sp?), but as it isn't absolutely guaranteed, I don't plan these excursions as my daily 'exercise', just added extras. I don't use the elevator on the (very!) rare occasions I'm allowed to leave the ground floor at job #1, and there isn't one at jobs 2 & 3, so... All good thoughts, though - thank you!