Outdoor vs running on treadmill

Options
I've been running outdoors for some time now and I'm about to go on holiday for a week to a place which is likely to be excessively humid. The place where we are staying has an indoor gym with treadmill in lovely air conditioned comfort, so I was thinking I could run on the treadmill. I've heard though that running on a treadmill is easier than outdoors and that I need to put it on a slight incline to help make it more realistic. My question is how much of an incline? I don't want to lose my form while I'm away as I have my first ever 5km race not long after our return from holiday.

Any advice is very much welcome!

Replies

• hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    you'd be fine on 2 or 3. personally i dont notice much of a difference running between a treadmill and outdoors. completed a duathalon and did most of my training on the treadmill with afew outdoor runs here and there. you will be fine. good luck for ur 5km run
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I find running on a treadmill so boring that I am constantly pressing the buttons - I change the incline and speed every minute or two just to mix things up.
  • shockedsoshocked
    Options
    1% incline should be enough!
  • slowpoke269
    slowpoke269 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Like others said 1-3 incline is more realistic. The only down side is that it is boring. Running outdoors is a lot more relaxing. I have heard of people that run on treadmills over time have more problems with shin splints and there knees.
  • bronagh20
    bronagh20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I find it pretty much the same but just alot more boring on a treadmill. I also think its much harder on your knees and ankles and you should run on grass if possible as the human body has not yet evolved to facilitate running on hard surfaces and was built for earth/soil/grass.