My Bonus Motivator - Thought I'd share a good idea

Options
I thought I would share this idea I had for a visual motivator. (Not sure if it's been thought of before)

I taped a Monopoly Board onto the side of my fridge (I bought it from a consignment store for $1, so no loss).

I have a little board piece that I made which is currently a stalk of celery LOL...but I can use whatever is convenient (at the time, it was that week's flyers in the newspapers). For each day that I am under my calorie goal on here AND I work out, I move my little board piece forward one space.

My husband has written out FOUR rewards...one for each corner of the board. Once I reach a corner (signifying 10 days of being on track), I get to open the surprise reward. He has folded them up and taped them there so I can't see it until I reach that goal.

So far I have reached JAIL LOL...corner #1 which was "KIDS MAKE DINNER"....which was cute because they all made me shepherd's pie. And last weekend I reached corner #2 which was "DINNER FOR TWO"....so hubby and I are having a date night without kids this weekend to celebrate my success!!!

I figure by the time I reach GO again, I will be svelte. :drinker:

It is a nice visual in your face way to remind you of your successes.

(It is up to you if you move BACK if you slip up, or just make up for it next day....which is what I do)

Replies

• stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What a great idea! Love that your husband does the rewards and its a surprise!
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    This is a FANTASTIC idea--I am SO doing this! Imagine doing it with Chutes and Ladders?! =] If you are on track, you get to go up the slide, if you have a slip-up, you have to go down the ladder!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful idea and super sweet of your husband!
  • wilkin777
    wilkin777 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love this! Off to buy a board game asap! Thanks for sharing : ))
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm glad everyone likes it!!! I'd love to hear if people are using it too. :happy:
  • krocksa
    Options
    I LOVE this idea - and the fact that your husband gets involved! Like the Chutes and Ladders idea too!

One suggestion - so far your rewards have been food related, and it doesn't appear to be healthy food. Maybe your husband can think of some non-food rewards. Like maybe a massage, he cleans the house, new workout clothes, a pedi/mani, and active date night (bowling, hiking, etc) or other non-food rewards. Take the focus off of food so you can break the habit of being rewarded by what put you in this position in the first place!

Good luck! :smile:
  • shefury
    shefury Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You're right...he did choose food related rewards, didn't he? LOL Oh well, at least he did something nice for me. Also I think 10 days of being on track deserves whatever he plans. I only had a small piece of shepherd's pie, and plan on having a great date night, not centred around food.......sex maybe...is that healthy enough for you? :laugh: