Is tracking sugar importiant?

Options
I'm trying to maximize my weight loss (healthily of course) and am wondering if tracking my sugar intake is neccesary and if so, what are some ways to minimize my sugar intake. When I track my sugar intake on this site I feel discouraged because my breakfast exceeds my sugar intake goals due to the large amount of sugar in my yogurt. I really don't want to eat sugar free stuff because it doesn't taste good at all, so are there any alternatives, especially for breakfast?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic or pre-diabetic then no, there is not reason to track sugar, sugar is just a type of carb and if you already track carbs that's all you need.
  • Annaflower
    Options
    Try having a plain yoghurt and add some fresh fruit. The sugars in the fruit is far better of you and it still tastes yummy!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to sugar, personally. I focus on calories, fiber, protein and fat. Unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic, I don't think it needs to be the main focus. That's just my personal opinion. There are so many nutritional factors to track, I prioritize the ones that help me the most.
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I tried staying under my sugar goal, which was nearly impossible once you eat a sweet potato and a banana - by then I was over all the time. It was pointless, and I didn't have a whole lot of energy. If most of your sugars are from fruit and veggies, no worries :)
  • cahart11
    Options
    I eat a cup of plain grits, no butter, and 1 egg white every morning. You are looking at .4g of sugar total.
  • mexicangardengnome
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This will really help me with my food plan and I feel alot better knowing that tracking my sugar intake isn't a priority. Also thankyou for the breakfast ideas, Im definatley going to try the grits and plain yogurt! :D