Workout Schedule

Options
Is it important to have a strict time of day, or is it a matter of personal preference and motivation?

Replies

• mickyjd
    Options
    I often wondered that. Then watching 'Bob' on the Biggest Loser USA, he said do the workout whenever you can - before the day starts is better as it's out of the way.

I get up at 6 am to exercise, but I love exercising in the evening as I personally feel I have more energy - the problem for me is with a family, it's difficult to fit the exercise in on an evening.

Good luck with whatever choice you make :)
  • Vickyloo
    Options
    I find a strict timetable is disheartening and hard to stick to. If, for whatever reason, you end up leaving schedule, you feel guilty and beat yourself up. So I always give myself a loose schedule and leave the rest up to fate :D

But really, I think it completely depends on the person you are and how you work best. Some people find it difficult without the strict regime because they feel it doesn't give them enough self-discipline and it's easy to lapse. Others think that a regime is too restrictive and unrealistic.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Whatever works for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever time allows you to stick to it. :)
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I ask because if I don't do it immediately in the morning I end up doing it around 2 in the afternoon. Although when I workout at 2 I find it's more difficult to eat my workout calories. Should I just anticipate them and plan from the beginning of the day?
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Some days I workout in the morning, others at night after diiner. I don't really change my eating schedule based on that. If I know I am going to burn 300 calories at some point in the day, I increase my calorie allotment (in my head) by 300. It balances out on MFP after I input the exercise.
  • Sheriemae
    Options
    For me personally, if I don't do it in the morning it's not going to happen, but everyone is different. A schedule works best for me.
  • lyddsmom
    Options
    The best time to exercise is when you have the time to do it consistently. I exercise in the morning or I don't exercise at all. Unfortunately my afternoons and evenings are booked solid. I'm busy from the moment the kids get home from school until I climb into bed.
  • ecsf1013
    Options
    For me, it depends on the day of the week: on weekdays, I do it in the early morning before work, and on weekends, in late afternoon/early evening. I admit, it mainly has to do with going to the gym when it isn't busy.

Do whatever works for you.
  • aamiesmith
    Options
    I work out at 5:30 a.m. 4 times a week. I do this because the gym is less busy and I know that for myself, after a day at work, I typically don't feel like working out in the evening unless it is summer and then I like to ride my bike. I say you do whatever works for you. The important part is that you are doing it! :) As far as your calories go - If you are sure you are going to workout, you may want to up your calories more in the morning if you are having a hard time doing it after you workout. Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • eatherhey
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Instead of clogging up the forum with another thread I'm going to throw my second question out here:

I'm exercising every day, treadmill; small weights; light pilates; but I notice around the internet that it's only recommended 3-5 days a week. Is this a safety thing?
  • johnsonje82
    johnsonje82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    First, I stick to a strict workout schedule, but thats only to KEEP a shcedule and MAKE SURE I go to the gym as I should. For me leaving it open to 'exercise whenever' will just lead to me pushing it off. Thats just me though and I have to keep myself in check! :)

As far as your frequency in your workouts, you have to give your body enough time to rest, recover, and rebuild. There is a such thing as overdoing it. However, this all depends on the level of your workout, etc. I break up muscle groups in my weight-training as well as my cardio. Most times I have 48 hours rest, or more, before I have a workout that concentrates on that same muscle group again. With Cardio and Yoga I alternate mornings and afternoons, just to space things out.

You have to decide what works best for you and what makes your body respond the best. All of us are different.
  • eatherhey
    Options
    I think that because I'm just starting out (7 days in, and yes every day so I don't slack off), I'm still figuring out what works best. I haven't been really challenging myself and have just been getting used to extended movement in general, so maybe this is something to revisit when things start becoming very serious.