Sugar!

Options
I keep going over on my sugar target, it seems to be the fruit, primarily apples that's doing it.

Is that something to be worried about?

Replies

• jandk09
    jandk09 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i know there are certain fruits that are more high in sugar like bananas. try looking for fruits that are lower in sugar. only add in the high sugar fruits if you have enough sugar to spare. good luck
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what part of the day you are going to eat the fruit. For example they say bananas are good to eat before your workout or after. Since your metabolism is working hard you won't have to worry about your body storing the sugar as excess fat. Also the nutrition benefits will always out weigh the one sugar downside. Some fruits may cause your body to work harder to digest them because they are high in fiber like apples for example. And MFP doesn't adjust their food diary's to compensate for that. Also i would rather get my vitamins and body nutrients from the food i eat rather than a pill. Oh and with your food diary if you are way over on your sugar intake for the day just watch what your fat intake is, if it's dramatically lower then i wouldn't sweat over it.
  • anj911
    anj911 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't actually track my sugar, was thinking of tracking that instead of salt because my salt is always way under target. Trouble is, I do eat quite a lot of fruit, and don't want to be discouraged from doing so!
  • ic20blue
    ic20blue Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So long as it's natural sugar and not a fructose, sucrose, or any other ____-crose it's fine. Apples' natural sugar has the right type of sugar for the body.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    So long as it's natural sugar and not a fructose, sucrose, or any other ____-crose it's fine. Apples' natural sugar has the right type of sugar for the body.

FYI, fruit about half fructose and half sucrose
  • polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I posted this same question sometime last week as I was worrying about my high level of sugar from fruit and I got mixed replies - I have decided to lower my fruit intake slightly and munch on raw veg instead of fruit half of the time but def won't be cutting out fruit completely!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I think natural sugars are alright as long as you are not diabetic or have any other reason to be very careful with sugar.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    according to most members of MFP you should only track ur sugars if ur diabetic :S

dont know about you.... but i havent heard anyone get shredded eating apples,strawberries,cookies,donuts,cakes?
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    -ose pretty much is just the chemistry suffix for a sugar of any sort. Organic chemistry is big on the suffixes
  • nancyko
    nancyko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The doctor told me not to worry about my sugar, just watch the carbs. You can't go crazy on sweet things or fruit if you do that because there is carbs in everything that is sweet. She also said no more that 2 fruits a day so I stick with the vegetables and I don't have to count anything with them. I do eat fruit though just not much.
  • unsweets
    Options
    You can get all the same nutrients from vegetables that you get from fruit without the sugar! I suppose it's not for everyone, but I think of fruit as a dessert and never eat it anymore. I plan to eat it only a couple of times a week (as a dessert) when I reach my goal weight.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    dont know about you.... but i havent heard anyone get shredded eating apples,strawberries,cookies,donuts,cakes?

I have
  • bennjammin
    bennjammin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I used to be an apple and banana a day guy out of pure convenience, but for me, a simple switch to veggies has been doing the trick. Cutting out bread has also made a huge difference in my results. I'll stay on this plan until I get to my goal weight and gradually implement fruits back into my diet.
  • anj911
    anj911 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yep just swapped from tracking salt to tracking sugar and its already in the red at 77!! I think I'll stick with tracking salt lol:laugh:
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Yep just swapped from tracking salt to tracking sugar and its already in the red at 77!! I think I'll stick with tracking salt lol:laugh:

lol I had this issue this morning when I changed my macro percentages!!
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I always go over on sugar because of fruit, too (check my diary!). I don't worry about it unless my non-fruit sugars go over 25, which is the American Heart Association's recommended limit for added sugars. I do snack on veggies when I can, but I figure an apple for a snack is better than something processed with no sugar.