Push up bars. Worth it?

Options
Hello,

I'm thinking about getting some push up bars. I find that after my wrists tend to hurt slightly at the end of a set; it doesn't last long, but it is a bit concerning. I've read that push up bars can help relieve joint pain, as well as providing a greater range of motion.

For those of you who use them, do push up bars seem to give you more of a benefit than not using them?

Replies

• johnsonje82
    johnsonje82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use HEX Dumbbells and the Perfect Pushup, but its really the same concept. I say get them. Anything the gets you higher at your starting point and lower/deeper into the motion is good. It DEF DOES help with wrist pain too.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    dumbbells work just as well if you already own those

but yes, I have pushup bars and they are very worth it to me.
  • Okieace
    Options
    Yes, I have push up bars and would highly recommend them. They are easy on the wrist and you can make every push up that much deeper.
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have been using some consistently over the past month and I haven't had any wrist pain to speak of, but I do love the fuller range of motion they provide.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I use dumbbells and do them between reps of renegade rows.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    like the other guy said.. dumbells work just fine... rather spend the money on a chin up more or more dumbells lol
  • Nikkerz620
    Nikkerz620 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have them and use them due to wrist pain.. not expensive either.. worth it!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    i use them for burpees, they're good
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I use them because I can't flex my wrist. They are pretty nice because you can go a little deeper. Always found them to be a little harsher on my elbow joints.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Probably just need to adjust hand position. Too low and the extra bend in your wrist will lead to pain. Move'em up closer to shoulder level.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Go to Five Below. You can get these red plastic pushup bars for $5. I know metal sounds stronger but these cheap plastic ones get the job done. The handles themselves have a soft rubber foam on it which is a plus. They're slightly angled.

Enjoy.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Good comments above. Have you tried doing the push ups on your knuckles? That can help with wrist pain, too.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Yes, push up bars help a bunch on increasing your range of motion and decreasing wrist pain and discomfort. I just use a pair of dumbbells, they get the job done same concept and then I don't have extra equipment lying around my home gym.
  • Hello,

I'm thinking about getting some push up bars. I find that after my wrists tend to hurt slightly at the end of a set; it doesn't last long, but it is a bit concerning. I've read that push up bars can help relieve joint pain, as well as providing a greater range of motion.

For those of you who use them, do push up bars seem to give you more of a benefit than not using them?

I'd suggest the push up bars. Bigger range of motion = better results. Also....less wrist discomfort.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I think they are a waste of money. I use wooden blocks to get depth and if you have issues with your wrist, you can always wrap them or use your fists.
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have joint pain if I do push-ups without bars. I love the ones I have, but you can use dumbbells no problem. The increased range of motion gets my chest more involved, which is an added bonus. Wrapping my wrists sounds boring and time-consuming but I've never tried it and doing fist push-ups still puts a hurting on my joints.
  • Piglet_26
    Options
    Oh wow so glad I read the post before replying as I read that as 'Push up BRAS, Worth it?'...........Ooops, not matter how much I dye my hair the true blonde always finds her way out lol
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The problem with using Hex DBs is that that can roll on you when you go wide.

Push up stands generally have the bar higher so you can go deeper for a bigger range of motion.

Just get stands with a wide base, preferable round. Didn't like the perfect pushup ones, the best I found are the power Stands from Beachbody.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the responses. I think the positioning of my hands is alright, but I will try to be more mindful of it and make adjustments.

Tried on my knuckles today, and that wasn't too bad. I'll probably still get some push up bars to at least try out, since they aren't all that expensive.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Some door frame pull up bars double as pushup bars. I got one about 3 days ago. Ill let you know when i try pushups with it