HONESTLY are Protein shakes filling?

Options

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Think your right Id rather have proper food just stuck on what to have for breakfasts that will fill me up?

Steak
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Think your right Id rather have proper food just stuck on what to have for breakfasts that will fill me up?

Steak

mmm on a budget
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Very filling, but I never drink mine plain. I make them in the blender with almond milk and fruit and/or peanut butter, nutella, etc. I'm always full until lunch, and they're usually around 250-300 calories.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options

try cracking and egg in your instant oatmeal and mixing with a bit of milk... its like scrambled egg and oatmeal together! quite tasty actually. and gets some protein in your breakfast.
  • Tiaashlynn13
    Options
    ive found the bars are more filling than the shakes are.
  • linda5007
    Options
    Cottage cheese? Interesting how do you make it and what ingredients?
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I do like the protein shake that I drink..........and sometimes it takes a few tries to fine one you like. I was recomended to drink them by my Dr...and he required the shake have at least 24g protein, which was also tricky to find :)

They are filling...sometimes you have to add berries something else to make that happen. Mine is qivana....I prefer mixed with water--as I am not a milk drinker-- and I love it :)
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i use almond milk and a bit of cinnamon in mine. i like them and yes, VERY filling!!!! i highly recommend protein shakes!
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I agree with another poster who says it depends. I've had protein shakes that leave me feeling hungry an hour later. however currently have a post-workout green protein smoothie that keeps me FULL for at least 2-3 hours, and its super yummy!
    Here's the recipe if you're interested:

1/2 C almond milk
    1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
    1 Tbsp peanut butter
    1/2 sliced banana
    2 C baby spinach
    2 C crushed ice

Mix all in blender and Enjoy!

263 cals and 18g protein
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

Steak

mmm on a budget

eggs
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    No, they aren't filling like a meal, I drink one post work out and then eat a meal about an hour later.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi I keep reading about protein shakes BUT are thye filling would one last you 4 hours like porridge does me?
    Actually in comparison to whole food, protein shakes are not satiating. Chew your calories instead of drinking them.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you just try one.

Often I will add 2 tbsp of peanut butter to a chocolate shake because the fat really helps keep me full longer. Many people add a scoop of protein to their oatmeal.

Again, I would suggest just trying it. Protein shakes alone are not intended to be meal replacements, but when you add them to real food they are a great way in increase your protein consumption.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Not one for shakes ... but to each their own. For "me" ... no, they were not.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I find they are not nearly as filling as solid food, but more so then other drinks. So if you have trouble eating enough the shakes work well as a 400 cal shake is nowhere near as filling as 400 cals of solid food.
  • bowers23
    bowers23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have mine with skimmed milk and it really does fill me up all morning- only just ate my lunch. I do drink it slowly though as otherwise I find it quite heavy in my stomach.

Not sure if I am posting this right!

Would you please give recipe ideas for shakes.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm burning close to 700-800 cals a day now and I drink protein shakes. Whey protein with Milk. I do NOT use it as a meal replacement but rather as extra protein for my muscles since I am lifting. I am not starting with one shake in the morning with my breakfast and one after my workout and then I have dinner.

This will be my new routine -- I used to do it a while ago but was making it with fruits and ice and OJ which was running me at 250-300 cals which is a full meal.
  • airie797
    Options
    Hi I keep reading about protein shakes BUT are thye filling would one last you 4 hours like porridge does me?

I'm guessing you are in the UK or that region since you mentioned porridge, but in the US there is a new shake called Shakeology, but I don't know if they ship overseas or if you can get it in your country. It is soooo yummy, but fairly expensive. I know this process is a lifestyle change, but Shakeology is not JUST a protein shake. It has TONS of vitamins & minerals & it doesn't have any thermogenics in it. I drink one a day & if I miss a day, my cravings are back & I tend to snack all day. It really does curb my appetite.
  • richelliott1
    richelliott1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    They do fill you up but I wouldn't use as a meal replacement.

Oats are great in the morning, they keep you going right through. A protein shake (try maxiraw as it mixes great with water) either before or after exercise will help your body attack fat rather than muscle!
  • sondra1962
    Options
    they do make you full but when i take them it makes me hungry so i don't take them