Am I skinny fat?

Options
Hi!
Sorry if it sounds silly, but I'm confused about this. I'm a 24 y.o. girl, 5' 2" and I weigh 105 lbs (48 kgs). I've only been working out for a month now- 3 days a week of cardio (30-45 mins), 3 days a week of circuit training (30 mins), 30 mins yoga on alternate days and 1 rest day, and have lost 5 lbs in the last month and a half. Originally my goal was to get down to 100 lbs, because I thought at that weight, I wouldn't have the loose flab around my thighs and tummy.
Now I've been seeing so many posts on MFP from women who seem to be similar to my height & age, weigh 15-30 lbs more than me, but I wish I looked as lean as them! So it's not all about what you weigh?

Help?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are.

I weighed 102 pounds and was 23% body fat.

I weigh 110 pounds now and am 18% body fat....plus I have muscle and I look BETTER!

Scale is not the way to measure fitness or looking good.

Edited to say - I would STOP all cardio immediately (you don't need to lose any weight) and start a heavy lifting program 3-4 times a week.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i think they "skinny fat" that likes to fly around on here is more to do with your true health. go to the doc and have them do testing to find out how "healthy" you are and that will give you an answer.. not a weight or number.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    To know if you are skinny fat you need to get a good measurement of your body fat %. If you are thin but your body fat % is high, then you are skinny fat. If it's not high, then you are not.
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    same as above, you need to get your body fat percentage measured to know where you stand. At this point it doesn't sound like you need to lose weight, I would think you would want to focus on the body fat. Lifting heavy weights could be great for this.
  • megjeg
    megjeg Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks guys! Ok, I will get my body fat measured. Just for reference, what %age is too high?
  • megjeg
    Options
    Sounds like you are.

I weigh 110 pounds now and am 18% body fat....plus I have muscle and I look BETTER!

Edited to say - I would STOP all cardio immediately (you don't need to lose any weight) and start a heavy lifting program 3-4 times a week.

Thank you! Was feeling very lost before reading this. Do you have any recommendations for heavy lifting? Have never tried it! :-s..

Also, I took a look at your pictures and You Look Awesome! That is so what I hope to be like.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Women %s:

Essential: 10-13
    Athlete: 14-20
    Fitness: 21-24
    Acceptable: 25-31
    Overweight: 32

Just had mine done yesterday at the gym was at 24% and was given the above chart. Most gyms have at least the handheld
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    AHHHH I love skinny fat people! My buddy Josh is "skinny fat" and I keep telling him to get off his butt and lift weights, strength train, etc. He keeps telling me he's just so thin and I'm like, "Yeah.... but you're skinny fat, Bromigo." He's pudgy for a tiny dude. So yeah, it happens.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup i agree with the above posters get your bf% tested =) I am 5'3" and weigh 110 and my bf% is 14.7%! I agree drop the cardio and just strength train =)
  • christibam
    christibam Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Do you have any recommendations for heavy lifting? Have never tried it! :-s..

Here's some stuff that my sister in law told me. (I'm just giving you the link to look over because I don't want to take up a ton of room in your thread)

I don't think you should do that much cardio but i think that 20 minutes 3 times a week of cardio is good for anyone. It's not all about losing fat. It's about making your heart stronger. :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506806-diet-and-exercise-tips-from-my-sister-in-law-the-fitness-mo
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bit drastic to stop cardio altogether, considering that EVERYONE should get at least some cardio activity regardless of whether they're trying to lose weight.

In the US, we have the following recommendation: "Adults should do at least 2 hours and 30 minutes each week of aerobic physical activity at a moderate level OR 1 hour and 15 minutes each week of aerobic physical activity at a vigorous level. "

via: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/physical-activity/amount.html
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    To all these posters discussing dropping the cardio and picking up the weights..... how do you propose to begin with this program? I feel like this is something I need to begin. Currently do strength training 3x week for about 25 min, and do cardio 5x week for anywhere between 20 min (hiit) to 50 min (kickboxing). No progress has really been made for a month or two (weight and muscle-wise). I actually gained weight, and its noticeable in my mid section.
    How much are you eating? And what type of strength training are you doing?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
  • megjeg
    Options
    AHHHH I love skinny fat people! My buddy Josh is "skinny fat" and I keep telling him to get off his butt and lift weights, strength train, etc. He keeps telling me he's just so thin and I'm like, "Yeah.... but you're skinny fat, Bromigo." He's pudgy for a tiny dude. So yeah, it happens.

Apparently, it does!! Glad I found people here that know about it, so I can do deal with it the right way. Thanks for the link, checking it out now :)
  • h0t_m0m
    h0t_m0m Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and weigh 108. When I had my body fat tested almost 4 weeks ago, it was 21.5%. My first goal is 17%. I want to be FIT. I have been skinny fat for far too long. I guess I thought my life of a nice body was over after having 3 kids and joining the over 30 club!! I will prove myself wrong!

ETA: I weight train 3-4 times per week and do cardio 2 days with 1-2 days of rest. I also do some cardio after lifting for the fat burn. I want to work up to 5-6 days of lifting followed by some cardio with 1-2 days of rest.
  • megjeg
    Options
    To all these posters discussing dropping the cardio and picking up the weights..... how do you propose to begin with this program? I feel like this is something I need to begin. Currently do strength training 3x week for about 25 min, and do cardio 5x week for anywhere between 20 min (hiit) to 50 min (kickboxing). No progress has really been made for a month or two (weight and muscle-wise). I actually gained weight, and its noticeable in my mid section.
    How much are you eating? And what type of strength training are you doing?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Same here!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    start lifting weights, heavy weights. "New rules of lifting for women" google it... buy the book!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I asked this exact same question about 4 months ago. The definition is pretty vague and varies depending on who you ask. In my opinion, it all comes down to how you feel when you look in the mirror/wear a bikini/etc. Most people will find that they have reached their goal weight and still aren't happy with they way they look, which is what happened to me.The cure is heavy resistance training, as mentioned above. Eat at maintenance and lift heavy, and you can change your body for the better.... regardless of what the scale says.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weightfat-loss-part-2.html

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583333398/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330443482&sr=8-1

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/771-women-strength-training

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Rae6503/view/fear-of-the-bulk-proved-unfounded-215087
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are.

^ This,

Cardio is good for increasing endurance, strengthening the heart, and allowing you to eat more, but is not going to change your body composition. To do that you need to eat enough protein and start a heavy lifting program. I would suggest new rules of lifting for women, or stronglifts 5x5
  • cwbzfan
    Options
    Sounds like you are.

Thank you! Was feeling very lost before reading this. Do you have any recommendations for heavy lifting? Have never tried it! :-s..

Also, I took a look at your pictures and You Look Awesome! That is so what I hope to be like.

Check out Bodybuilding.com. They have a lot of different types of lifting programs and a ton of information on lifting, nutrition, etc. I've found the site to be very helpful and continually switch up my lifting program based, in part, on the information on this site - have dropped about 12% body fat and toned up a lot.
  • HotHol
    HotHol Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You should do Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or Ripped in 30 workout DVD...they are only 27 min long....I've been doing themfor about 40 days now and have seen amazing results!...I too am 5'2, and I hover around 117. I have lost a couple pounds but have mostly noticed my body changing...abs, arms etc. Maybe you should give it a try?