Keeping down multivitamins?

I've found that it is difficult for me to get all of my vitamins everyday ( frequently low on iron and potassium ) so I decided to try a multivitamin to help me out. However, as soon as I took it, it came right back up even though I Ate breakfast. Anybody know if certain foods will help keep it down if I eat it with the vitamin?

When food is not enough :(

Replies

• AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Try cutting in in half?

I always take my multi-vitamins and 5 hair, skin nail pills (the B-beautiful pack from GNC) w/ my bfast which is usually a big plate of green veggies (spinach, green beans, or kale) and a sandwich (turkey, whole wheat, veggies.) I think all the fiber helps me digest the vitamins but it's just a wild guess. :happy:
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    I have had that problem with Iron. I try to take mine at the same time (towards the end) as I am eating and usually with toast -so I suppose it's the carbs that help. I have heard that the gummy ones are easier to handle. I have not tried them. Hope that helps!
  • yogi_meg
    yogi_meg Posts: 26 Member
    My multivitamins also made me sick. I switched to the gummi version and don't have any trouble now.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    I have had that problem with Iron. I try to take mine at the same time (towards the end) as I am eating and usually with toast -so I suppose it's the carbs that help. I have heard that the gummy ones are easier to handle. I have not tried them. Hope that helps!

I too do this...mine is with my morning oatmeal!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    If swallowing the pill is the problem, they make liquid multivitamins.

If it's a problem with that specific multivitamin, then try a different one.
  • I've had the same problem for years, it may not be the food you are eating but the vitamin itself. I've found that taking only 'food based, all natural' vitamins works for me. Anything with sythetic vitamins (like the standard box store brand) makes me vomit instantly. Getting one with less iron could help too but honestly i would try buying a high quality natural vitamin first. They cost more but it's worth it :P

Right not I'm using nature made but i think they changed the formula because it makes me a little woozy. The GNC brand multi for women worked pretty well. As did the RAW brand multi
  • Cut it in half. Take half in the morning with breakfast and the other half in the evening with dinner. I used to have the same problem and this has helped me out a lot.

Out of curiosity, what multi are you taking?
  • I've had the same problem for years, it may not be the food you are eating but the vitamin itself. I've found that taking only 'food based, all natural' vitamins works for me. Anything with sythetic vitamins (like the standard box store brand) makes me vomit instantly. Getting one with less iron could help too but honestly i would try buying a high quality natural vitamin first. They cost more but it's worth it :P

Right not I'm using nature made but i think they changed the formula because it makes me a little woozy. The GNC brand multi for women worked pretty well. As did the RAW brand multi

It is nature made!! :( also happend with one a day women's ....
  • Jamiewoodle
    Jamiewoodle Posts: 100 Member
    I eat gummy vitamins - multi and C and D and B also immune. They are delicious and the doc says they work just as well as regular vitamins!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    My multivitamins also made me sick. I switched to the gummi version and don't have any trouble now.

^^^This
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    I've had the same problem for years, it may not be the food you are eating but the vitamin itself. I've found that taking only 'food based, all natural' vitamins works for me. Anything with sythetic vitamins (like the standard box store brand) makes me vomit instantly. Getting one with less iron could help too but honestly i would try buying a high quality natural vitamin first. They cost more but it's worth it :P

It is nature made!! :( also happend with one a day women's ....

Nature made and one-a-day are not the most "natural" you can get. Go to a natural health food store or a place like Whole Foods - they'll have the most pure stuff! I work for an all-natural supplement company, so I definitely know the benefits of natural vs. synthetic... they're a little more pricy but definitely worth it!
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    I used to have the same problem! Now, I take two Vitafusion MultiVites Sours every morning before breakfast without any trouble. I discovered that Zinc was bad news for my tummy, so I try to avoid large quantities of that.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    this is what i was told to do by my Dr, when i was preggo taking prenatal vitamins. i never had a problem keeping them down though, but this is what i would suggest.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 610 Member
    I take my multivitamin separately from the rest of my supplements. I usually take a calcium, a flax oil, my B.C. and occasionally a B vitamin in the morning around breakfast time. But the iron in my multi makes me sick and I have to fight to keep it down. I have found I have better luck if I take it at night right before bed. It's what I had to do when pregnant and taking my prenatal vitamins too.
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Try a chewable.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    I take mine at night
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Try a different multivitamin. I was doing One-a-Days a while back but could never keep them down...switched to the Optimum Nutrition Opti-Women Vitamin and as long as I have it with a glass of water I'm fine. (:
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    I started taking all of my supplements at bed time, especially the fish oil which always would repeat on me. I now take them right before bed and no longer have a problem with tolerating them.
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    I just drink mine. My shake has all I need and more plus it tastes so good. Works for me.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 268 Member
    I had that problem...even cutting them in half would still bring it back up. I tried everything....and as funny as this sounds, I started taking children's multivitamins and haven't had a problem. As far as I can see on the label, I'm still getting between 75%-100% of all the vitamins I need, so...I've been on them for years.