Hungry from 1p-4p!!

Options
Background...
I try to workout on my elliptical 3 times a week for between 45-60 minutes. Take a 4 mile walk with my sister once a week. Walk my daughters to and from school - about 40 minutes a day 4-5 times a week, try to squeeze in yoga 2 times a week. I guess its a lot of exercise, though most of its not intense. I eat breakfast around 730a (greek yogurt/banana or instanst oatmeal/banana & a cup of coffee), lunch around 12p (tomato soup w/ cheez its/cheese or ham/ turkey sandwich/fruit).

My trouble...
I snack off and on from 1p-4p. Carb-filled, fatty, salty snacks. I have my goals set as sedentary, 1200 calories a day - BUT I do not track or count calories or carbs for fruits/veggies (and I like it that way! :wink: ). I almost always eat at least 1/2 my exercise calories back. I know I dont drink enough water... Any suggestions what I could eat that would help cut the cravings? I know its stalling/slowing down my weight loss efforts.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions what I could eat that would help cut the cravings?

A large meal
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My new favorite snack keeps my hunger away between lunch and dinner. I have an apple with some almond butter (ground at the store). There is fiber, protein and good fats in it. So yummy! It seems to do the trick for me. If I want some carbs, I add a few fat-free pretzels.
  • NeshBeMe
    NeshBeMe Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Totally agree w/ UponThisRock. I'm so not sure why people even set their goals at 1200!??? If you are working out and only taking in 1200 cals, you will ALWAYS be hungry.
  • jumptothebeat
    jumptothebeat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Nuts and oats for me are great fillers - that keep me feeling fuller for longer. Increasing your water intake will help a lot - because sometimes when you think you are hungry what your body actually wants is water.

And maybe question how hungry you are or whether it is more habit? I was once told to rate your levels of hunger from 1 to 10 (1 being full and sated and 10 being ravenous enough to eat the furniture). If you are feeling anything 5 or below then have a drink and see how you feel after 30 mins, 6,7, 8 eat!, never let yourself get to 9/10 or you will overindulge. I don't know how true this is in science, but it works for me when I remember to stick to it!
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    Including fruits/veggies and consuming about 1/2 the exercise calories as well, I intake around 1600-1700 total calories daily...
  • marlum2
    Options
    a protein bar, a protein shake, or yogurt with cottage cheese are my mid-day snack. If you like canteloupe, cut it in half, take out the center and fill it up with cottage cheese. Eat it with a spoon. Delicious and filling.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    are you at work at that time? I work afternoon shift, so I am home, so I try to keep myself busy, either doing housework or playing with my 2 year old. The busier I am, the less I think I am hungry
  • Kristy0728
    Options
    Stay At Home Mom. Both daughters in school all day.. maybe I need to decide if I am really hungry or not....
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    It's probably boredome :) Tackle a chore you hate - that keeps me busy and not thinking about food,
  • MeStephy
    MeStephy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    When I find myself feeling hungry I drink a big glass of water and wait about 15 minutes...if I'm still hungry I have a granola bar (90 to 100 Cals.) or an apple.
  • albuslux
    Options
    I average about 300 cals for breakfast lunch and dinner. I add another 300-400 in snacks about 2 hours after each meal. Usually a high fiber, low fat granola bar. Maybe wheat thins or some peanuts, counted of course. If I can replace the full, bloated feelings i was having after meals with a mild hunger once in a while, I'm making prgress.
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    Totally agree w/ UponThisRock. I'm so not sure why people even set their goals at 1200!??? If you are working out and only taking in 1200 cals, you will ALWAYS be hungry.

Not necessarily. I work out in the gym 3/4 times a week. Plus exercise at home. I am on 1200cals per day & rarely eat back my cals. (If I'm hungry I will - but don't see the need if I'm not). I have been doing this since Nov last year, before then I was on 1000cals per day for 2 months. Sometimes I am hungry in the evening, but most of the time I am fully satisfied. So it is not ALWAYS the case that you will be hungry. It is however important to listen to your body. What is right for me, won't necessarily be right for anyone else.