good foods to replace carbs?

Options
I love my carbs, and would have bread, pasta, rice or potatoes every day. I am of the mind set that dinner isn't a proper meal without one of these. I know that carbs are my main downfall and if I can find a good replacement for them it would be great. I don't want to cut out carbs completely just cut down. any suggestions would be great thanks.

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs, and would have bread, pasta, rice or potatoes every day. I am of the mind set that dinner isn't a proper meal without one of these. I know that carbs are my main downfall and if I can find a good replacement for them it would be great. I don't want to cut out carbs completely just cut down. any suggestions would be great thanks.

sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes. cut them into french fry size and bake them. or just bake them.

Try Nature's Own whole wheat breads as they are slightly lower in carbs and calories. Still not great but better than other brands. Spread your carbs out, try to keep to around 25-35 g per meal. Carbs help curb your cravings if you balance them well. Each meal make sure you have protein and fiber as they help to get you over the hunger feeling.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions. I cut carbs and lost weight by just having 1/2 a potato, 1/4 cup of rice, 1/2 cup of pasta, Lower cal, carb breads, mini pita's, and tortilla's. I have tons of veggies to make up for the bulk. I could never give up carbs.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Eat them in moderation. I don't understand why people think carbs are the devil. If you control your portions and fit in your calorie goals you will still lose weight. Unless there is a medical issue there is no reason to cut out or replace carbs.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I found it easier to just halve my normal protion of carbs (one potato instead of 2, a small spoonful of rice etc)

I rarely eat bread now - but I keep a good quality seeded loaf in the feezer, so that I can toast a slice once every few days. breakfasts are usually eggs or yoghurt, lunch is soup or salad, dinner based on meat or fish with veg.

Oh, and sweet potaotes aren't really much of an alternative, they still have a lot of carbs. But it's good to get variety, and they contain a lot of other beneficial nutrition.
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I adore mashed potatoes; however, I've cut all grains and white potatoes out of my diet 6 days per week. A surprisingly amazing substitute is pureed cauliflower. While it doesn't sound all that great, it's actually fantastic.

-Steam cauliflower until it is very well cooked through (fork can easily pierce it).
    -Add cooked cauliflower to food processor.
    -Add butter (I've increased my fat intake since I've cut carbs, so I use about a Tbsp for half a head of cauliflower), salt, and some fresh ground pepper to the processor.
    -Puree for a while.
    -Stop to scrape down the sides and add some of the water used to steam the cauliflower (this makes it smoother).
    -Continue to puree and add water, if needed, until it's velvety smooth.

I have made this for friends that hate cauliflower and they can't get enough of it.
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am going to start cutting out white flour items for a month and see how that effects my loss.

I love mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes (you can make a big batch and just reheat what you need)

I enjoy low carb yogurts for breakfast (they are low in cals too).

I LOVE pickles for a salty and sour snack for when the sweet munchies hit.

You can roast green beans for a tasty snack that has a nutty flavor and crunchy when they are first made!!!

The lowest carb nuts are walnuts and pecans. A serving of those keep the hungries away.

I'll be enjoying a few of these suggestions this coming month. Hoping I'll feel better AND lose some weight that has been at a stand still!
  • bronagh20
    bronagh20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the suggestions. much appreciated and like i say i only want to cut down, couldn't live without them.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump to see all replies, i am also watching my carbs, dont want to exclude them just cut down a bit.
  • kaelawilliford
    Options
    To replace flour tortillas: Mission Carb Balance (whole wheat).......they are 80 cals for a fajita size and net carbs of 3. And they taste great and are soft. I make tacos, quesadillas and my hubby will put 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on it, roll it up and have a snack.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash really is one of the best things I have ever eaten (a ridiculously low in calories).. I prefer it to pasta.

Cut it in half lengthwise

Scrape out the seeds

Microwave face down on a plate until a fork easily pierces it

Scrape the insides out with a fork

It is wonderful with pasta sauce and just as yummy with a little butter and parm cheese. Sometimes it can be a little watery, so you can put it in a colander and let the water drain out before plating
  • MagsRad
    Options
    bump
  • dr3am3r
    dr3am3r Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump!!!! love the ideas of cauliflower and spaghetti squash! im gonna try these!
  • Niftygirl16
    Options
    Ditto on the mashed cauliflower and spaghetti squash. Here are a few other ways to prepare them that I enjoy:

You can add other things to the mashed cauliflower like chives and a tablespoon of low fat sour cream.
    You can also crisp up some turkey bacon and sprinkle some reduced fat cheddar cheese on top.

For the spaghetti squash, one thing I love is mixing stewed diced tomatoes with a tablespoon of low fat sour cream then toss in some grilled shrimp and serve over the spaghetti squash. YUMMY!
  • bronagh20
    bronagh20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    yay some great ideas. keep them coming!
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Have you tried quinoa? I even prefer it to rice.
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump to follow replies. :)
  • jnbud2002
    Options
    I've seen recipes for a cauliflower bread/crust for pizza, haven't tried it yet, but it looks amazing!
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I have tried the steamed califlower...love it!! And I cut my potato portions in half too (or use sweet potato instead). I have yet to try the spagetti squash, plan to do that this week.
  • paigedwatson
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I got on MFP initially to cut my carb intake because I realized I'd have cereal for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, and pasta for dinner every day... carbs carbs carbs!

Try Mission brand Carb Balance whole wheat tortillas! They come in large, medium, and small. I get the small ones (13 carbs each) and have two of them... makes me feel like I'm eating more but it's only a few calories more than 1 medium tortilla. Also try Carbmaster yogurt from Kroger if there's one in your area. VERY low in carbs AND sugar.