NROL4W or P90X? Which to do for my goal?

Options
On June 2nd I will be doing the Spartan Sprint which is a 5k obstacle course. Obstacles include crawling under barbwire, climbing a rope, carrying heavy items a distance, etc.... I've been torn as to which program would be a better fit for training for this race. Is there anyone who is familiar with both that could make a suggestion?

Replies

• Steem707
    Steem707 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about NROL4W but P90X doesn't really have much cardio in it. It's great for muscle endurance but I either run or do an Insanity workout on the P90x cardio days.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    NROL4W is a plan for heavy lifting, and doesn't really outline a specific cardio plan. Maybe you'd be better off with something like 30DS?

13438744.png
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I plan on running or doing Insanity for the cardio aspect of it. I can already do 5k so I'm not really worried about that. My concern is with strength for the actual obstacles.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    From a strength building perspective, does anyone know which program would be better?
  • AJaySexton
    Options
    I would say P90X because it works your entire body's strength, core and all.
  • 412HeavyLifter
    412HeavyLifter Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Insanity would be better for you, You need something thats gonna improve your endurance and from the reviews from many sites, insanity does just that.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    Insanity would be better for you, You need something thats gonna improve your endurance and from the reviews from many sites, insanity does just that.

I'm already doing Insanity. I need to focus on building strength.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options

So does NROL4W...

Building strength comes from heavy weights with lower reps. You'll get that with NROL4W. I'm not sure about P90X reps and weights tho. The focus there could be on muscle endurance. I could be wrong.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    I can do P90X at home which is a pro but I feel like NROL4W might be a better program for increasing strength but I'm not positive. If it is I'll go to the gym but if they're close then I rather do a program that I can do at home. Unfortunately to do NROL4W at home would require me to go out and buy more equipment but I already have everything for P90X. It's a tough decision because I want to do NROL4W more but the gym is so packed that I don't really find it convenient at all.

Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I have some thinking to do :)
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I can do P90X at home which is a pro but I feel like NROL4W might be a better program for increasing strength but I'm not positive. If it is I'll go to the gym but if they're close then I rather do a program that I can do at home. Unfortunately to do NROL4W at home would require me to go out and buy more equipment but I already have everything for P90X. It's a tough decision because I want to do NROL4W more but the gym is so packed that I don't really find it convenient at all.

For what it's worth, I work out at home with dumbbells and have modified the NROL4W exercises accordingly. Unfortunately, I just started the program so I can't share results.
  • Jennifer0878
    Jennifer0878 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have done P90X twice, Insanity three times and I'm currently doing NROL4W. I'm only on the second stage, but so far, I like it better than P90X. It's an awesome program and I like how it incorporates lots of different workouts. For what you are looking to accomplish, I would highly recommend NROL4W.
  • AJaySexton
    Options

So does NROL4W...

Building strength comes from heavy weights with lower reps. You'll get that with NROL4W. I'm not sure about P90X reps and weights tho. The focus there could be on muscle endurance. I could be wrong.

Oh! I guess I didn't research NROL4W enough, I didn't seem to read anything about actual core training! I am new to all the programs, though. My excersize life has always been on the pavement or in the gym :P