HUGE HORRIBLE PLATEAU

Options
Ok so, I have been tracking my cals/excercise etc since Jan 7th 2012. I had already lost 26 lb (1st 12lb) before joining - my start weight was 250 lb and I am 5ft 8in. I have only lost another 6lb since Jan and my weight seems to be fluctuating like crazy.
My question is....Is this normal? I have really felt like giving up in the last few days. I have had a couple of 'slips' in my routine but I have been exercising a lot more than before.

I would just love some advice and constructive feedback if anyone has the time. My diary is open so if there is something that I am doing (or not doing) would really appreciate the help.

I am in a 218lb ground hog day . ICK !

Thanks to anyone who can help : )

Ps I have pcos so I would appreciate any advice from mpf members who have the condition and managed to lose weight.

Replies

• Novikay
    Options
    hey!

It is completely normal to plateau. I don't really know of anyone who hasn't, so don't think it's you.

The best way to beat a plateau is by changing up your diet and/or exercise regime.

I took a quick look at your diary, and I would try to get more protein in your diet. Right now, you're getting a significant larger amount of carbs vs protein. (I don't know if PCOS affects that at all, so ignore this then, if it does). But I would try switching that for a bit. Try to get higher protein every day and lower your carb intake. ( DON'T eliminate carbs, just switch your focus for a bit to protein)

Like I said, the BEST way around a plateau is changing up what you are doing.

Also, what kind of exercise do you do? Just cardio? If so, you need to incorporate strength training.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Bump! Very similar stats and plateaued since just after Christmas... would like to see what people suggest.
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i started at 220 and have been fluctuating in the 180s since april last yr

SOOOO ANNOYING!!!

i just re-set my ticker today and have just came off a 3 week vacation so im starting the process agan heheh so here is to breaking the plateau!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    How is it a plateau if you lost 6lbs in Feb? Your weight will fluctuate due to differing levels of water retention
  • auddiejo
    Options
    I'M IN THE SAME FREAKIN' BOAT!! It's so annoying!! Don't give up though. We can get through this! :smile:
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't give up. Switch up your exercise. Your body gets used to what you are doing and doesn't work as hard. I love a workout like P90X because the program has a different workout every day, then every few weeks they switch it up. Easy to follow and an all around workout (weights, cardio, yoga). I just love it and it has done wonders for my body!
  • wilkin777
    wilkin777 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    How is it a plateau if you lost 6lbs in Feb? Your weight will fluctuate due to differing levels of water retention
    Lost 6 lb since beginning 7th of Jan. Sorry If post was a bit unclear : )
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    If you have PCOS then Carbs will NOT help you... Sugar and carbs will make you pack on some pounds. So lower the amount of carbs.
  • wilkin777
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice so far> I think the bit about carbs vs protein could be a real winner so that piece of advice hugely appreciated : )
    Re the exercise, I do zumba, pilates, aerobics, swimming and tennis but I think some proper strength training is a great idea.
    Also loving the reset of the ticker thing! Never even thought of that! Might well give it a go. Maybe I can trick my body out of plateau! :))
    To everyone who is in the same boat....let's just keep going....it can't be worse than being at the weight we were before.

THANK YOU ALL FOR SO MUCH ENCOURAGEMENT : )
  • wilkin777
    Options
    If you have PCOS then Carbs will NOT help you... Sugar and carbs will make you pack on some pounds. So lower the amount of carbs.
    You are so right....fewer carbs it is. Thank you : ))
  • coachkathrynw
    coachkathrynw Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wilkin777,

Plateaus do happen and they are very frustrating and discouraging. Hang in there. I'd recommend two thinks. One change up your workout routine. Your body gets used to what you are doing and doesn't have to work as hard. So totally change it up. I do P90X workout. It's great because the workouts are different every day (plyometics, legs/back, chest shoulders, yoga, tempo, etc.). And then every few weeks the routines change yet again.

As for the food side, I used Beachbody's Shakeology all natural meal replacement drink to get through my plateau. I followed an all natural 1,000 - 1,200 calorie Shakeology + food plan for 3 days and then continued to drink Shakeology once a day afterwards. Send me a message if you want more info.. I could go on and on.

Don't let it get you down, just keep doing the right things.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My "plateau" has lasted since September. I have no advice except: it happens. Usually, if you stop losing weight it's because: A) your metabolism has dropped a little bit, but even under starvation conditions, it only drops by something like 15%, so a lower metabolism will only partially explain what you might be experiencing- most likely, anyway... unless there's some underlying medical problem. B) it's because you're not being as careful as you were in the beginning. You're not counting calories as careful. You're over-estimating your exercise burn. You're underestimating what you eat. Something like that. Or C) Other factors such as stress, lack of sleep, or hormonal imbalances (PCOS) are slowing you down.

You really only have two choices. 1) Push through it. 2) Give up.

I am personally taking a break from the diet because it's discouraging. I'll eventually get back to it.

I wish you luck.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

By the way, I disagree with this.

PCOS or not... carbs are not the enemy. The rules of weight loss are the same for everyone: fewer calories, more exercise.

I personally would only recommend low-carb for those insulin resistant, diabetic, or maybe with IBS. There's no logical reason why low carb would be best for PCOS.

I do not think estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone imbalances are effected by carbs.
  • JDunbar82
    JDunbar82 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

PCOS or not... carbs are not the enemy. The rules of weight loss are the same for everyone: fewer calories, more exercise.

I personally would only recommend low-carb for those insulin resistant, diabetic, or maybe with IBS. There's no logical reason why low carb would be best for PCOS.

I do not think estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone imbalances are effected by carbs.

I have PCOS as well...and I "think" what they are trying to say is due to the fact that PCOS and Insulin resistance often go hand in hand then she is going to have a harder time metabolizing carbs due to the insulin resistance factor of the disorder...not necessarily the reproductive hormone issues. :)
  • Mabohlale
    Mabohlale Posts: 148 Member
    Options

I think that PCOS and insulin resistance are related ...

http://pcos.insulitelabs.com/Root-Cause-of-Insulin-Resistance.php