Any other 50ish women struggling?

Options

Replies

• DOElston
    DOElston Posts: 102
    Options
    I'm in my early 50's. I haven't had too much trouble but I take a quality soy supplement which I suspect does help with natural hormonal balance. I've lost 86 lbs in 12 months. (I've only been on this website for a short time.) Check out the link below. (No, I do not work for this company or profit by any recommendation.) :) I don't follow their diet but I do have one soy shake each morning with a healthy breakfast.

http://www.revivalsoy.com/whysoy/article.html?article=weightloss&-session=revivalsoy:6270B1F40591c00863iGQ288D84A
  • fitz1191
    fitz1191 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi Im turning 50 in August Im about 220 lbs over weight I am very discouraged and hoping to find encouragement and freinds as well as ideas on what to do how to stay motivated cuz this is stinking hard at this age I have along way to go
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    It is so annoying hitting the 50's and the weight seems to crawl.
    I turned 50 in January, I was complaining to my doctor last week about the lack of weight loss recently and he told me:
    a) It was going to take me longer to loose my last 20 kg because I'm not the same person I was back in the 'fat' days and
    b) I have to give myself time to adjust to the newer 34kg lighter me plus
    c) I am now 50 :angry: and should not be so hard on myself

I know he is right but I am flying overseas in June and would love to drop at least 10kg before then but nothing is moving on the scales it is driving me nuts :sad:
  • Cate1898
    Cate1898 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Definitely struggling! 53 years old, 5'3", 176 lbs. Seems when I turned 50 my body started to fall apart! Thyroid problems, lower lumbar back pain (minor at least) , blood pressure got worse and I have to lower my sodium intake. My job being shift work makes it difficult to stay on a routine of any kind.
    I really could use some online friends so we can motivate and help each other. Please feel free to send me a friend request!
  • divamsm
    divamsm Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hell yes! I'm working out like crazy and finally, after 6 months of working out seriously and a little over a month of eating healthy and counting calories, etc., I'm starting to see a teeny difference in my body. I have not lost but 5 lbs but I have decided to stay off the scale except for maybe every 2 weeks, or once a month. Muscle weighs more than fat, yadda, yadda...I've heard this over and over and over til I'm blue in the face. I used to let it get me really down, but now, as long as my clothes are fitting somewhat loose, I will continue doing what I"m doing and stay off that damned scale! :bigsmile:
  • divamsm
    Options
    Give up the scale I put duct tape around mine and put it in the closet. Ha
    How your clothes fit is a better indicator of how you are doing. Keep it up!

lol!
  • divamsm
    Options
    Oh, I'm 51 and have had weight probs all my life. Funny, we all have the same story! At least we know we're not crazy! Good luck everyone!:drinker:
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and finished menopause several years ago. And, strangely, I'm having success losing weight and keeping it off for the first time since....well, since I did that damn MediFast plan back when Oprah raved about it and promptly gained it all back plus a few extra when I went back to real food. So maybe 1990?

I'm not to my goal yet but I'm confident I'll get there eventually. What I'm focusing on more are fitness gains and inches lost than the scale. While it's nice to see the scale weight go down, I was more excited to go down a pant size in January even though I had only lost 1# since my previous drop in pant size. 1# should not = a pant size but it did. I attribute to switching to lifting heavy weights/low reps instead of lighter weights/more reps.

I've also been focusing on repairing my metabolism. My entire life I could never eat as much as my thin friends. And this was always a huge frustration. There are a lot of tips throughout the MFP forums on how to do this. I've upped my NET calorie intake to my BMR and eat my exercise calories. But I don't sweat it if I don't eat them every day because I also zig-zag my calories shooting for a weekly target instead of a daily one. This allows me to "bank" calories to "spend" later in the week at social events, restaurant meals, or just because I can. It's wonderfully freeing and I really don't even feel like I'm dieting at all. In the last two weeks I've enjoyed a huge special Valentine's Day dinner out with wine, gourmet-style foods, and a dessert that was too die for, my husband's birthday with a special dinner and cake, pizza, ice cream, a good greasy burger at my favorite burger joint with about 1/4 of the french fries, and I still lost 2# and the pants I bought in January are already getting looser.

I don't think the eating more would be working so well if I wasn't exercising. I'm finding that a good mix of heavy lifting, HIIT (high intensity interval training) and just a day or two of steady-state cardio is a good combination for me. I'm focusing on improving my times, my intensity, increasing resistance, etc., so I'm not just doing the same thing all the time.

Fitness goals are important to me because just a few years ago I was virtually bed-ridden for a year with a bad back injury. After it healed, it took me months just to re-learn to walk with a normal gait and stand straight. And then a couple years where I could only do walking for exercise because anything else was too much strain on my back. But, gradually, I got to the point where I could go to fitness classes and the gym and just modify the exercises to protect my back. Now I don't even really have to do that because my core muscles are strong enough to support my back well. And I just started back to the gym and taking the classes in August so it hasn't been that long ago. I'm thrilled at the progress I've made in that time.

My goal is to never be incapacitated by a back injury again. It was awful. I suppose if I ever do get an injury again, I want to at least do it in a "blaze of glory", like doing something fun like skiing or hang-gliding (on my bucket list). Anyway, this experience has made the fitness goals far more important to me than the weight goal. I feared I would never be able to play with my dog, future grandchildren, dance with my husband, etc., ever again and it was horrible. I figure if I exercise in a way to continually increase my fitness level, eat healthy about 80-90% of the time and enjoy my splurges the other times mostly eating foods that will provide my body with decent nutrition to fuel my workouts, and have fun in the process, the weight will go in the direction I want it to as well. I'm currently training to do a 200-mile, 2-day bike event this summer and I'm having a blast.

I hope I don't sound like I'm bragging. I'm not trying to do that. I'm just so excited about the changes I've been making in my life and the way it is effecting every other area of my life. My husband and I are doing ballroom dancing classes. I just got cast in my first play since high school. I'm doing things that I never imagined I would have the energy to do or even the guts to do because I used to be too self-conscious (mainly due to my weight and my lack of fitness). It's wonderful. I guess I'm out to prove that the 50's are really the new 30's, LOL. Well, that might be a stretch but I do know that I'm more energetic and feel younger now than I did in my 40's.

Oh, I should mention that I haven't lost all my pounds just since starting my exercising in August, just 23# of it, but I'm down 2 pant sizes and 1 shirt size in that time. As long as my clothing size goes down, I really don't care what the scale says anymore.

You can do it, Ladies! Find things to do that make it fun and you won't care if it takes a year or two or more to reach your goal weight because you're having a great time on the journey. Fun ways to exercise, fun goals to shoot for, fun new ways of eating. it's all good. Enjoy!
  • bstoetzer
    Options
    bump to read later
  • Torkelle
    Torkelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes. Me too! I lost 50 pounds three years ago, and it was sure a lot easier then. A mere three years later, and a regain of 20 pounds, I can't seem to get the scale to budge this time.

Six weeks, I have been working out on the Elliptical for 30 minutes every morning. I have only missed one day, I think. I also walk my dogs for 45 minutes to an hour every afternoon. I eat sort of a South Beach-ish plan, and try to stick to my 1200 calorie limit without eating back exercise calories.

I am down a mere 6 pounds since I started, with NONE of it being in the last two weeks. I have hit a plateau already! Lord, it is tough this time.
  • hainla
    Options
    I'm 53 and also struggling. I had 170 pounds to lose. I also have bad ankles and legs. My saving grace is exercise by water aerobics. You can twist and move in the water that would be impossible on the ground. You also get the benefits of the cool water. You still sweat, but you stay cool. And at this point in my life, staying cool in imperative! When I finished my first session, I thought that was fun, but not a benefit for my weight loss goals. Later that night, I realized I was dead wrong. I was sore in places that I forgot I had. You can really let lose in the water. I highly recommended it. I am a southern, home cooking, eataholic, so the exercise has helped greatly. In the last 3 months, I have lost 31 pounds.
  • DU4MICHELLE
    DU4MICHELLE Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! So glad to hear I'm not the only person in this predicament. I'm staying in my calorie range, making decent choices, but only exercising with moderation. I think that's the issue - My doc says I need to get 4x cardio and get heart rate up to 140 in order to really burn fat. Try that for a few weeks and see what happens! I'm on the mend from shoulder surgery so can't do that right now,.
  • kschudy
    Options
    I'm 44 and having a tough time! I've been soooo good since1/4/12 and I'm only losing 1/2 lb/wk (even though my target should have me losing 1-1/2!). Last week was a big goose egg on weight loss!

So, I'm adding in strength training (I start tonight with a trainer actually!) and I'm going to try raspberry ketones (per Dr. Oz, LOL) to see if that helps.
  • keepingon
    keepingon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    That's me! I turned 54 a month ago and have been putting on 7-8 pounds a year for the last 10-15 years. I lose 5, gain 7 back. Finally my husband started to gain weight, too, which in my case is a good thing. Because now we are both trying to lose it together. We started Ash Wednesday with a detox, body detoxification program (through M'lis) and as of today he lost 15 and I lost 10. He's been drinking like 10-13 bottles of water and we are eating a lot of fruit and veggies. Although I'm happy with our loss now, it is usually two weeks later that I end up going back to old ways. Even last night I shoved handfuls of Cranberry Nut Antioxidants like a starving dog.
  • chunk1691
    chunk1691 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    hi im 50 this september coming and ive struggled for the past 2 or 3 years to lose weight and get in shape, when i started i wanted to lose about 28 pounds, ive already lost 10, 6 of which i lost before i came on MFP, and 4 ive lost on here, thats the most ive managed to lose in a long time. i have found MFP really helpful and inspiring, i also bought a healthy portion plate and that also helps loads too, please feel free to add me, its nice to know there are other 50 somethings in the same boat.
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I'm 50 and it's coming off just fine. My diary is open if anyone wants to peek :)
  • lormel61
    lormel61 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    To "keepingon" what kind of body detox did you do and where did you get it?? Sounds like something to try...
  • newgirl512
    newgirl512 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    What is a healthy portion plate and where do you get one?
  • digidew
    digidew Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi. It's 3/6/12 and I just joined yesterday. I'm 61. I need to lose 35#'s. My history is bad. Total hystorectomy at 27 and HRT shots till 2009. They took away my HRT because I had breast cancer. Had surgery and radiation. Also quit smoking at same time using Chantix. Gained 30 pounds in 2 years. Also blew out my knee skiing and had surgery. Also in 2004 diagnosed with Graves Disease and they nuked my thyroid. Got in a bad 4 wheeler accident in 2007-It landed on my back. Bet you didn't know 4 wheelers could fly!! I've had a rough 2 years and depression set in. Now I am ready to be me again!!! Have been dieting and did Adkins by only lost 8#'s and gained it back. Menopause is taking it's toll!!
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I am going to be 50 years in July. Despite all my aches and pains I get to the gym daily do the elliptical and strength training. My appetite has come down a little bit , metabolism has slowed but strength training makes me feel stronger, frequent saunas gives me restful sleep . In fact now I feel young than I did in my early forties or thirties .