Does housework count?

Options
Am disabled and therefore unable to do the exercises that most would do but I do a lot of my own housework with a great struggle. I am now totally exhausted after just putting the vacum cleaner thro' my one bedroom flat. Would that be classed as an exerciseof sorts?

Replies

• seibella1
    Options
    yes it does ... you should be proud of your self !!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It's a euphemism for sex.
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    If it gets you up and moving, yes. Do what ever you can to the best of your ability, the goal is to improve you, not compare you to others :)
  • SilentRenegade
    SilentRenegade Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to count my cleaning calories. Some people may not agree with it, but the fact is that you're up and moving, and yes cleaning a house is exhausting, but I always feel good in two ways after: 1. I am done cleaning the house and now it smells nice and 2. I feel like I got a bit of a workout!
  • Focusonfifty
    Focusonfifty Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes it does count, it's actually listed as "cleaning", they even have moving furniture around and carrying bags. Congrats on your independence .
  • sherim71
    sherim71 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wish I had joined three weeks ago then, before we cleaned out those two closets.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I count it. Some people get all snitty about it, but that's their problem!

A friend of mine did an experiment to see how vacuuming compared with her gym routine and wrote it up here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LastSixtySix/view/gym-versus-the-vacuum-an-experiment-217525

It's exercise for everyone.
  • victoria1957
    victoria1957 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have never counted it because I never thought of it! Thanks for the tip!! I will from now on....:) My motto is "I am going to stand as long as I can" So good on you for keeping your independence!!
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I count it. Some people get all snitty about it, but that's their problem!

A friend of mine did an experiment to see how vacuuming compared with her gym routine and wrote it up here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LastSixtySix/view/gym-versus-the-vacuum-an-experiment-217525

It's exercise for everyone.

Thanks so much for that..it has really made my day.
    I am not able to get a great speed up when doing anything but the very fact that I am exhausted afterwards I felt must mean I had something worth counting.
    The chart I found fascinating too.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    I personally do not count it - because its is the same stuff I was always doing before, when I was overweight. So - to me- its no different then the daily activity, I already did.

Exercise - to me - is something above and beyond the daily, routine "life" stuff.

But thats just me - everyone must use what works for them. :)

Best of luck toward your health and fitness goals. :) Do what you can do.