Why do I smell ammonia after working out?

Options
This morning is the 2nd time I noticed it.

Tuesdays I usually swim in the early morning, eating a banana and a tsp of peanut butter on the way to the pool.
I usually have a 1/2 bottle of Acceleratoraid while swimming and a bottle of water on the way home.
I come home, get the kids off the school and usually eat breakfast w/ them. Then head to the gym to do a tred & shed (an interval workout on the tredmill) class followed by a body pump class. When I get home I usually have a protein shake.

This morning, time was pressed and I never got to eat breakfast, I just headed off the the gym. I ended up getting there late for the tred class. I knew I couldn't stay for the BP class, and I had my music w/ me so I did my own intervals. I know I pushed harder than what I normally do, but I felt great. Total run was 40 mins, 5 mins of warm up, 5 mins of below race pace, 5 mins of race pace, 30 seconds sprint followed by 1 min of active recovery (just below race pace) did this 5 times, 5 mins below race pace, 3 mins race, then 5 sprints 30x1, then 5 below race pace then 5 cool down
I did have some water during this time.
I noticed was I walked back to the car, that I smelled ammonia. I did notice it one other time as well, and I think it was when the same type of thing happened, I missed bfast and went to the gym.

Any ideas?

Replies

• rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Acg - thanks for that link. Exactly what I was looking for. I did Google it first and got several conflicting answers, This one seems to be spot on.

Tnx
  • nixnax
    nixnax Posts: 42
    Options
    Good question I was wondering this :)

Nice one ACG
  • mgoupil
    Options
    I have this problem too.... However, my carb intake is very sufficient, about 270g per day. My protein intake is about 100 - 120g on exercise days. Body Combat, Body Pump, Weights and HIIT are my thing.

I exercise first thing in the morning and generally have a piece of whole grain toast with peanut butter, or something like that, about 30 minutes prior. But also, I've noticed it on later AM workouts over the weekend as well; a couple hours after a full breakfast.

This is starting to annoy me and I am wondering if I have a kidney problem. Although it is only associated with exercise.