Tzatyki recipe

Options
colgosling
colgosling Posts: 104 Member
So...... Had my first experience of Tzatyki yesterday and loved loved loved it - who has the lowest calorie recipe because I can't wait to try it out - pls share :)

Replies

• GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/08/skinny-tzatziki.html

Tzatziki is a classic Greek cucumber yogurt sauce or dip. It is served as a condiment on gyros, fish and souvlakis, and other Greek dishes or it is served as a dip with pita wedges. I personally love it on my Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken Breasts, on chicken burgers, as a dip with crudites and even drizzled over Greek salad. My lightened up version is fat free and zero points!

I can't think of a better time to make this with all the cucumbers and fresh herbs growing in my garden right now. Chives aren't typically added but I love the flavor it adds to it. Some people also like to add mint leaves. Straining the yogurt and cucumbers are a must to make this thick, so don't skip this step!

Skinny Tzatziki
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 8 • Serving Size: 1/4 cup • Old Points: 0 pts • Points+: 0 pts
    Calories: 17.8 • Fat: 0 g • Protein: 2.6 g • Carb: 1.7 g • Fiber: 0.1 g

8 oz fat free greek yogurt (I used Fage)
    1 small cucumber, peeled and seeded (1 cup grated and drained)
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
    1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
    kosher salt and fresh pepper

Strain the yogurt using a metal strainer or a coffee filter for a few hours to remove as much liquid as possible. Set aside.

Scoop seeds out of the cucumber with a small spoon. Place cucumber in a mini food processor or grate with a box cheese grater. Drain the liquid from the cucumber in a metal strainer and sprinkle with a little salt (this helps release the liquid). You may want to use the back of a spoon to help squeeze out any excess liquid.

Combine strained cucumber, garlic, yogurt, salt, pepper, lemon juice, dill, chives and refrigerate for a few hours before serving.

Makes about 2 cups. Store in refrigerator for about a week.
  • momnorg
    momnorg Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    yummy
  • LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow, that sounds really good. Thanks for sharing!
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TZATYKI as well and wanted a health recipe but never got around to look for one so THANKS I can't wait to try it!!!!!
  • chrissy10taylor
    Options
    bump
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I love tzatziki. I"ve tried several recipes... the dill sounds like a great addition. Definitely going to try this one.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    bumping for the YUM of this!
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've tried making my own before but it was too garlicy. And I love garlic.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Defitely need to try this recipe. I love putting it on wraps or sandwiches too.
  • mama1229
    Options
    Must try!!
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Hi... I may can help a little bit.
    It is called tzatZiki, not tzatyki!

My father has a secret, so as the cucumber doesn't let its water in the yoghurt but stay crunchy even for a few days (he prepares about 1 kg or more cause we love it in the family.
    Cut the cucumber , and dive it into vinegar and salt for about half an hour. Then just drain it from the vinegar and use it.
    We don't add chives or pepper neither lemon juice. Dill is up to you also.
    You can add more garlic if you want a "stronger" taste, and some fresh olive oil.

The main recipe is
    0.5 kg of strained yoghurt
    1 big cucumber
    1tsp of salt
    1tbsp of vinegar (NOT BALSAMIC) more if you want to dive the cucumber in it.
    0.5 cup of virgin olive oil.
    3-4 cloves of garlic!!!

Also remember you must let it in fridge for about 2 hours so you can have all the flavours full mixed!
  • francis904
    francis904 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Two great recipes - cant wait to try! Thank you :):)
  • MariSchuitema
    Options
    bump
  • kdunning53
    kdunning53 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if my protein of choice is lean when doing gyros, I use a full fat yogurt. Often Ill make fresh roasted chicken breast with garlic, onion, pepper, salt, greek oregano and a light spray of greek olive oil. I use Joseph's low-carb pita pockets for the 'gyro' bread, shred up some lettuce, diced tomato and white onion, schmear on the full fat tzaziki and I love love love love love.... thinly sliced cucumber piled on it.