I nee help with the diet!

Options
Hi everyone,
I need help with the diet. I work 8.5 hours per day and I don't have time to track everything I eat actually I completely fell off the wagon. I get up at 7am, and I can't get up earlier b/c I am exhausted then I get ready plus get the kids ready and then I work till 4:30 by the time I get home is 5pm. I babysit so basically I don't have official break time it's whenever the kids are sleeping, plus I don't have an internet access at work, and to write everything down is also very difficult. I tried planning the night before and take everyhign with me but then I ended up not eating b/c i was too busy. Then I get home kids go to bed at 8pm and then I am hungry.
I really want to diet and loose weight but I am confused. I guess what i need is suggestions from people who works full time plus raising kids how are you guys doing it?

Replies

• tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I log all of my food for the next day the night before, after dinner, when no one else has demands on me. I work also, 8:30-5:00, and commute 2 hours a day, and have two teenaged stepsons. It is hard, but I get up at 5:00am to work out. I jump rope, punch a punching bag, do workout vids, whatever I have time for, even if it's only 15 minutes, every day. I also have two horses, and horse chores to do, chickens to feed 2 dogs that need to be played with, blah blah ...... The only way you are going to lose weight is to make yourself do it. When you start eating healthier, and exercising, you will have more energy. You just have to make yourself do it, even when you don't feel like it. Like the ad says "JUST DO IT." We all have excuses not to do things. The hard part is to find reasons to make yourself do it, FOR YOU. You do things for other people all day long. Claim an hour for yourself every day! :heart: yourself!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,966 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I don't have kids and I don't work full time right now, but I know how it feels to be too busy to take care of yourself.

Make one small change to start such as using MFP to plan a healthy breakfast. Then eat that breakfast every day.

When that becomes automatic then you can make another small change.

Take it one day at a time and take baby steps and you can reach your goals.

Congratulate yourself for every small step you take. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel girlfriend! I have two small children and a very demanding job that i work from 7-3:30. I had to force myself to take time out to work out and I found out that I really enjoy it. Not the working out part ( I don't see me ever liking that) but its the only alone time I get. No cell phone, no kids no job. Also I carry a small note book in my poket so when I eat something I write it down in that. Really helps Good Luck
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    I need help with the diet. I work 8.5 hours per day and I don't have time to track everything I eat actually I completely fell off the wagon. I get up at 7am, and I can't get up earlier b/c I am exhausted then I get ready plus get the kids ready and then I work till 4:30 by the time I get home is 5pm. I babysit so basically I don't have official break time it's whenever the kids are sleeping, plus I don't have an internet access at work, and to write everything down is also very difficult. I tried planning the night before and take everyhign with me but then I ended up not eating b/c i was too busy. Then I get home kids go to bed at 8pm and then I am hungry.
    I really want to diet and loose weight but I am confused. I guess what i need is suggestions from people who works full time plus raising kids how are you guys doing it?
    You poor thing! You really need some me time.:flowerforyou:
    Try planning your meals ahead of time. Sometimes I have to cook stuff in advance. Or you can make a little extra while your making supper and set it aside for your meal the next day.
    I sometimes wait till the evening to log my food, and other times, I'll make a plan and log it the day before, and have it packed and ready to go.
  • mslopez4896
    Options
    I also think that carrying a small notebook is great to write down what you eat throughout the day. Log it all in at night; it will become routine. Maybe you could workout early in the morning before work once during the week, then on Saturday and Sunday? Or maybe just get used to recording your food and start exercising a few weeks from now. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I work full time 8-4:30 and I have 2 kids ages 3 and 1. I get up at 5:15 and workout for an hour before work. The first fiew days this is HARD but you will be surprosed how quickly your body gets used to it and you will have a lot more energy. I used to go to the gym but now I just don't have the time so I invested in workout DVDs and a treadmill and I love working out more now than when I went to the gym and it takes less time since I don't have to pack a bag or go anywhere.

You CAN do it and just make NO excuses and making 1 hr a day time for you is not that much!

As far as writing down foods I log at work and after the kids go to bed and after a while you get to know how much you can eat.

Best of luck to you!
  • wendyk523
    wendyk523 Posts: 15
    Options
    I work full-time sometimes 10+ hours, I have 3 kids 10, 8, 3 and it is not easy. I also travel for my job and so I bring my videos along to fit them in.

You will never HAVE the time, you need to make the time. I try to get a workout on video in 4-5x per week. I love the Leslie Sansone walk at home videos -- they are not hard, but a good workout and if the kids interupt, I can get them juice and breakfast while continuing to walk in place or around the kitchen and then go back to the workout. I also include my 2 younger ones -- the videos are easy and they have fun working out with me for some of it.

I jot down everything I eat as it goes in my mouth and I figure, the less I eat, the less I need to write down. Bring snacks, like grapes or low fat cheese sticks (seargento light are my fav) and eat on the go.

If you think you are too busy -- you will be -- plan it and do it. Make a good choice for yourself - you deserve to be healthy (and working out regularly will give you MORE energy so you will feel less stressed) Good luck!
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel but you have to make time-
    Here is my schedule- and I don't log my food everyday because I don't have time to play on the internet

Get up drop the kids off at summer camp and get myself to work by 8am
    Spend all day at work get off at 4:30-5pm change into my gym clothes
    Go get the kids get to the gym by 5:45- (or if my husband is home he will pick the kids up)
    Go to the gym from 5:45-7pm come home hang out with my kids play and cook/eat dinner
    Spend some quality time with my family
    Take a shower get ready for the next day pack gym bag and try to get to bed before 11:30pm.

That is my schedule Monday-Friday except on my off days

On Saturdays I wake up and eat a light breakfast and go to the gym.

It can be done- I do it alone alot because my husband has been away at training or has been working night shifts- i don't have a life because the gym consumes it along with everything else but it doesn't matter to me to watch tv or talk on the phone.

If you have time to watch tv you have time to workout-
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I work full-time sometimes 10+ hours, I have 3 kids 10, 8, 3 and it is not easy.

You will never HAVE the time, you need to make the time.

If you think you are too busy -- you will be -- plan it and do it. Make a good choice for yourself - you deserve to be healthy (and working out regularly will give you MORE energy so you will feel less stressed) Good luck!

Very true!- You get what you point into it.
  • mrsparker
    mrsparker Posts: 12
    Options
    Like everyone else is saying you have to make the time for yourself. I work 3pm-11pm i go to school 8:30am-10:30am. I have two kids so i prepare my meals by the week Mon.-Fri. I know im going to eat chicken 3 days out of the week fish two days. Dont cook the fish until the day of. But i cook the chicken and put them into containers. Then i like those Steamer bags of veggies, they have alot of varieties. And for snacks i like the yopilat yogurts or the Jello cups. And breakfast is usually bran flakes and strawberries or instant oatmeal everything takes under 30 mins to prepare. So everything is ready to go. Im off on Sat. &Sun so i cook mainly on Sun and log all my meals for the week in. I eat what ever on Sat- Sun but its still healthy. I exercise 30-45 mins. a day. Just a suggestion:wink: