May I Be Doing More Exercise Than I Realize?

Options
I work at a dog kennel and i'm mostly walking around cleaning the runs, feeding, etc. When we have the upstairs full like we did over 4th of july weekend, im taking dogs out on a leash and putting them in outside runs to potty. The one side is a steepish hill. Im walking down maybe 4 steps up there, and 6 steps down to the office maybe about 2-4 times a day. Rarely during playtimes i'll really get into playing with the ones that actually play. Sometimes im trying to push em off me cuz they like to jump at your stomach or up onto your shoulders.

Could i be doing more than i think i am?

also i've been drinking water there when i can

Replies

• Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Probably. Do you have a heart rate monitor? You can check the calories burned while your working. You might be surprised.
  • Das_Modell
    Das_Modell Posts: 167
    Options
    where can I get one thats not super expensive?
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Wal-mart for $25. Its a watch, and it may not be top of the line, but its accurate and will have to work, since I don't have a job at the moment.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    How do the HRM's work if you're doing work like this- burning calories, but not exercising in the traditional sense of the word? For example, I'm in the same situation at work- I am definately burning calories, but more in the sense of moving heavy things around, going back and forth between rooms about 50 to 100 feet apart, etc. Will those calories show up as burned? If so, what's the difference between calories burned just by being alive and calories burned because of a certain level of activity? Hope my question makes sense!:noway:

My HRM is coming in the mail any day now :happy:
  • Das_Modell
    Options
    yeah im looking at walmart's right now. I found one thats $28.77

"-S7 HR Monitor

One-touch heart rate monitor
    Calorie-burn monitor
    Fat-burning zone locator "

heres another one

-S12 Heart Rate Monitor

$38.77
    One-touch heart rate monitor
    Calorie-burn monitor
    Step and stride counter
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    The Polar F6 I bought a couple weeks ago was the best investment I've ever made. I learned: 1- I don't burn as many calories on the gym machines as I thought, 2-I burn more calories weight training than MFP thought, & 3- I don't have to feel guilty about not hitting the gym b/c I'm at my parent's house for the weekend doing work on their property b/c I actually burn more calories doing that than I would at the gym :)
  • Das_Modell
    Options
    The Polar F6 I bought a couple weeks ago was the best investment I've ever made. I learned: 1- I don't burn as many calories on the gym machines as I thought, 2-I burn more calories weight training than MFP thought, & 3- I don't have to feel guilty about not hitting the gym b/c I'm at my parent's house for the weekend doing work on their property b/c I actually burn more calories doing that than I would at the gym :)

where did u get yours? i noticed on walmart's website most of the good ones are online only...which i dont have a credit card or anyone to get it for me
  • javengreen
    javengreen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    HRM are good, but it's important to realize that some exercise calories from walking to work and walking the dog are already built in depending on the type of plan you are using (sedentary vs. lightly active vs. active). You could use the sedentary setting and add in these calories later, but it means more entries!

It would be a shame to eat too many calories and not lose the weight you want to lose.
  • hammersshells
    Options
    where did u get yours? i noticed on walmart's website most of the good ones are online only...which i dont have a credit card or anyone to get it for me
    [/quote]

Maybe you should look into going to kmart and buying one of those American Express Cards or something similar. You by them with your cash, but then can make online purchases--and once the money runs out, its out. No credit issues to hassle with. Just a thought... I noticed this was a prob for you on another post about bathing suits. :flowerforyou:
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    HRM are good, but it's important to realize that some exercise calories from walking to work and walking the dog are already built in depending on the type of plan you are using (sedentary vs. lightly active vs. active). You could use the sedentary setting and add in these calories later, but it means more entries!

It would be a shame to eat too many calories and not lose the weight you want to lose.

This is a very important point!! In general, only count real exercise- i.e. conscious heart-elevating, sweat-inducing activities- as exercise. If you have an active job, include that in your base-line activity-- moderately active lifestyle-- then when you really exercise, add that in. This will help ensue you don't over-count your daily activity calories and end up eating too much!:noway:

As for HRM, make sure the one you get has a chest strap, if possible. These are more accurate.

Good luck!:smile:
  • twilight1542
    twilight1542 Posts: 403
    Options
    I purchased my Polar F6 at Sports Authority. I bought it from their website because they only had the pink one in store and I wanted the black one. Any sporting goods store should carry them. Also, look out for ads/coupons--the week I bought mine there was in a coupon in the paper for 20% off : )