yoga/pilate devotees how are they so lean?

alot of ppl say they only do pilates or yoga and they look amazing and lean when i do it regularly i dont lose weight or anything .. any thoughts

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    I think they don't eat too much
  • michelle225
    michelle225 Posts: 42 Member
    They probably do higher intensity types of yoga for 90 minutes like Bikram or Power Yoga almost every day. In my Vinyasa class according to my HRM I burn between 250 and 300 in 60 minutes so I can see how a higher intensity class done for 90 minutes would give me a burn that's closer to the amount I burn doing an hour of cardio.
  • bubblicious84
    bubblicious84 Posts: 74 Member
    Power yoga burns a decent amount of calories. I've been doing yoga with some cardio for almost a month now and have made improvements in strength, flexibility, and I'm physically seeing the results all over my body. My shoulders are rounding out nicely for once (so happy!) and my waist is slowly cinching in.

In my short experience with yoga, doing it makes me feel good all over, and helps encourage me to carry that feeling over into my eating habits. But, exercise in general has that effect on me, where eating junk after working out makes me feel like I put forth all that effort for nothing.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    It also has a lot to do with diet. You can't out train a bad diet. Every yoga instructor I've ever had is an extremely mindful eater, because serious devotees to the practice view their bodies truly as temples. I seriously admire the special care for the human body that many yoga devotees have.

But yes, higher intensity styles of yoga are LEGIT. I take 60 minute Hot Vinyasa at least once a week and a 90 minute Hot Hatha Yoga class at least once a week, and I'm just as worn out and breathless as if I'd been on the treadmill when I'm done!

Plus, the movements are using only body weight resistance as opposed to heavy lifting, so the result is a more long lean look as opposed to a more defined muscular look. Both of which are totally awesome, in my opinion.