need new veggies!

Options
2»

Replies

• Trallaurrum
    Trallaurrum Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Here's one most people don't think of... kohlrabi! Shows up a lot at farmer's markets. It looks like a green ball that's been a little bit smooshed, or if it has all its greens they stick straight up, so it looks like sputnik. :)
    Slice the top and bottom off, then carve the thick tough skin off down the sides. The inside is moist and pale. I like mine steamed with a teeny bit of margarine and some salt and pepper. It has a texture that is firm but tender and tastes a bit like very mild broccoli I guess. I've heard it also makes a wicked au gratin / scalloped dish.
  • LesiaBravel
    LesiaBravel Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of roasted zuchini, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, and garlic baked in a pan.

You just cut up the veggies, spray your pan with Pam and then put the veggies in the pan and I add oregno, basil, garlic powder, and onion powder then stir them up with my hands. I let them roast until they are good and roasty and they turn sweet and delicious.

You must try.
  • fkurban
    Options
    Brussel sprouts, just slice them and mixed them in a bowl with olive oil, black pepper and salt. Roast in them in the oven for 25 min. Perfect! Do that for fennel, sweet potato, carrots, zucchini, eggplants.
  • fkurban
    Options
    search for ethiopian cabbage recipe, minus potatoes. It's delicious.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    i just discovered I love asparagus. Is there any other similar veggies to it that I could try? Someone suggested brussel sprouts to me. Any others?
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Turnips. I've recently discovered turnips. Maybe not everyone's thing but I can't get enough. Sort of potato-ey (potatoes are a New World crop; most old-time European dishes that call for potatoes originally called for turnips) but with a little bit of horseradish bite.

Steamed with or without their greens, boiled/steamed and mashed, cubed and roasted (plus onions and carrots), diced in soup/stew. They're just coming into season now. So are radishes. Most of the time people just eat those raw like a salad vegetable but they're great roasted too.
  • maxmariesfo
    maxmariesfo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Everything tastes different grilled. I have a Lodge cast-iron "mini-grill." Basically, it's a pan you use to grill right on the stove top.

Great for grilling asparagus, portobello, any kind of squash, eggplant,

I am a HUGE fan of kale and chard. Simple leafy greens that you can do so much with.

Kale chips are the BOMB!! Take a whole pack of kale, devein it (that is cut the big stalk out the middle) slice them up to chip size, mix them up in a bowl with a tablespoon or two of oil and a tablespoon or two of nutritional yeast (not brewers or bakers) Add a dash of salt and bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 350.

Fantastic! TONS of calcium in kale.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just posted this recipe today -- http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2012/02/parmesan-roasted-cauliflower.html

I love veggies -- some of my favorites are zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, spaghetti squash, cucumbers, broccoli.....

here's a few other recipes to try!
    eggplant mini pizzas - http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2012/01/eggplant-mini-pizzas.html

salsafied zucchini - http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2012/02/salsafied-zucchini.html

yellow squash - http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2012/01/yellow-squash-anyone.html

spaghetti squash marinara - http://marysforkandspoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/spaghetti-squash-marinara.html
  • AFabulous50
    AFabulous50 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just a tip---roasting ( or grilling) tends to turn any ordinary veggie in to a extraordinary veggie.
    quote] THIS IS SOOOO TRUE!!!
  • cabannie
    Options
    Brussels Sprouts are good if you like cabbage. I steam mine, but you can also roast in the oven after tossing with some Balsamic Vinegar.
  • mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • cabannie
    Options
    Another one - edamame

Not sure if it's really a veg, but makes a good finger-food snack hot or cold
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just a tip---roasting ( or grilling) tends to turn any ordinary veggie in to a extraordinary veggie.

This!
    I love charcoal grilling brussel sprouts, bok choy, asparagus, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms! Throw in some roasted garlic for fab flavor!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    There is a whole variety of vegetables that you could try. As a vegetarian, I am a queen of vegetables.

Collard greens - southern style/cooked forever with onions and garlic, or crisp stir fry with just garlic, olive oil, and salt (my favorite)
    Green beans/French beans - blanched
    Brussel sprouts - tastes terrific roasted - halve or quarter, throw some olive oil or peanut oil, salt, and pepper, and roast it in low temperature. Yummy! Crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside.
    Squash - great for soups. I am not a fan of gooey/creamy soups. So I put butternut squash chunks in my soups with pinto beans
    Swiss chard - tastes terrific in lentil soups with garlic. Sprinkle some feta cheese on top and enjoy!
    Kale - again tastes great as stir fry or in soups
    Beet greens - in salad
    Beets - sliced, boiled/steamed
    Spinach - sautee with sesame oil, and soy sauce (avoid if you don't want more sodium)
    Spinach/Strawberry/Cranberry/Walnut/Toasted Almonds salad
    Carrots - raw is not the only way to go. Carmelize with just a bit of oil or butter and throw them in salads
    Okra - saute with onions, tomoatoes, salt, and cayenne pepper, they can also be roasted
    Mushrooms - raw, toasted, stuffed, stir fry etc.
    Zucchini and other types of squash - great with pasta/tomato sauce, roast or stirfy before adding to tomato sauce
    Broccoli stalks - julienne with carrots and make cole slaw with spicy dressing
    Avocado - make into guacamole, or use as sandwich filling, salad dressing etc.
    Eggplant - saute with tomatoes, onions, garlic etc. to make a great dish with rice; saute with tomatoes and basil - great side dish or sauce for pasta
    Cucumber - for salads, sandwiches, chop up and put it in plain yogurt and season with roasted cumin seeds for a great snack or side.

If you are truly adventurous, go to a nearby international food store and you can get a lot more like okra, chinese okra, bok choy, baby corn, water chestnuts etc. Experiment. Vegetables offer so much variety...

Great list. Please understand the nutritional value of vegetables decreases by 60-80% once you cook them. Kill the enzymes you kill the benefit of eating those veggies. This goes for almost everything you eat. So eat as many raw fruits and veggies that you can.

For me this is difficult so I bridge the gap with Juice Plus+, basically 17 fruits and veggies in capsule form.
  • Territrek
    Territrek Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lots of veggies already have been mentioned - some I did not see already are sweet potatoes, swiss chard, and leeks.

I'm a vegan, so I love my veggies - all sorts.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    There is a whole variety of vegetables that you could try. As a vegetarian, I am a queen of vegetables.

Collard greens - southern style/cooked forever with onions and garlic, or crisp stir fry with just garlic, olive oil, and salt (my favorite)
    Green beans/French beans - blanched
    Brussel sprouts - tastes terrific roasted - halve or quarter, throw some olive oil or peanut oil, salt, and pepper, and roast it in low temperature. Yummy! Crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside.
    Squash - great for soups. I am not a fan of gooey/creamy soups. So I put butternut squash chunks in my soups with pinto beans
    Swiss chard - tastes terrific in lentil soups with garlic. Sprinkle some feta cheese on top and enjoy!
    Kale - again tastes great as stir fry or in soups
    Beet greens - in salad
    Beets - sliced, boiled/steamed
    Spinach - sautee with sesame oil, and soy sauce (avoid if you don't want more sodium)
    Spinach/Strawberry/Cranberry/Walnut/Toasted Almonds salad
    Carrots - raw is not the only way to go. Carmelize with just a bit of oil or butter and throw them in salads
    Okra - saute with onions, tomoatoes, salt, and cayenne pepper, they can also be roasted
    Mushrooms - raw, toasted, stuffed, stir fry etc.
    Zucchini and other types of squash - great with pasta/tomato sauce, roast or stirfy before adding to tomato sauce
    Broccoli stalks - julienne with carrots and make cole slaw with spicy dressing
    Avocado - make into guacamole, or use as sandwich filling, salad dressing etc.
    Eggplant - saute with tomatoes, onions, garlic etc. to make a great dish with rice; saute with tomatoes and basil - great side dish or sauce for pasta
    Cucumber - for salads, sandwiches, chop up and put it in plain yogurt and season with roasted cumin seeds for a great snack or side.

If you are truly adventurous, go to a nearby international food store and you can get a lot more like okra, chinese okra, bok choy, baby corn, water chestnuts etc. Experiment. Vegetables offer so much variety...
    Great suggestions.. Not a big fan of slimy okra, but kale, swiss chard, spinach, squash (delicata, acorn, summer, spaghetti, butternut.. All so yummy!)Tomatoes, avocado, cabbage, carrots. I keep it simple and steam my veggies or eat them raw. I like veggies, fortunately enough for me.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    There are lots of veggies out there, maybe go to a farmers market many places have them on Saturday walk around and shop for something that is in season that you never had before. If you ask the person selling the produce they can usually give you a way of cooking it since they probably eat it too.