Lentils?

Options
bobie1978
bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
Anyone have good recipes for Lentils?? thanks!

Replies

• gabwas
    gabwas Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Quick, easy and delicious! You can add all sorts of things to it to make it your own too. I'm planning on trying spinach and sausage. MMmmm.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lebanese-style-red-lentil-soup/

6 cups chicken stock
    1 pound red lentils
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    3/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Directions

Bring chicken stock and lentils to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
    Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in garlic and onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 3 minutes.
    Stir onions into the lentils and season with cumin and cayenne. Continue simmering until the lentils are tender, about 10 minutes.
    Carefully puree the soup in a standing blender, or with a stick blender until smooth. Stir in cilantro and lemon juice before serving.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    thank you!! I will try :)
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use them as a straight drop-in replacement for ground beef in casseroles (i.e. Shepherd's Pie), soups and stews (great for chili), and tacos. Usually 1 cup dry (about 2-3 cups cooked) to 1 pound of beef. They don't have a lot of flavor on their own so sometimes I use a jarred soup base made from yeast extract to give a little more "meatiness" to them.

Lentil and frozen mixed vegetable soup is a good base to add dumplings to. Not quite Grandma's chicken and dumplings, but still tasty.
  • carlyholly
    Options
    This is one of the best lentil recipes I've ever had. I eat it over brown rice or quinoa, and it's soooo good.

Curried Red Lentils

3-4 cups water
    1 cup lentils
    2 tbsp. oil
    1 onion chopped small
    2-3 tsp. honey, to taste
    2 tsp. curry powder
    1 tsp. each of sea salt and turmeric
    1/4 tsp. each of cayenne red pepper, ground cumin, and coriander
    Several dashes each of cinnamon and ground cloves

Begin cooking lentils and onion in the water. Do not cook lentils until they fall apart, just until they are tender. About 5 minutes before the lentils are finished cooking, add the spices and oil and sweetening and cook everything together another 5-10 minutes so the flavors can mingle. Add extra water if necessary so the lentils will be contained in the sauce.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bumpp
  • CtineMc
    CtineMc Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on another string, but I'll share here too :) It's a crock pot recipe

Lentil Soup (serves 8)
    Throw all of this stuff in the crock pot in the morning. Turn it on low for 8+ hours (sometimes I do more than 8 hours and it’s always been fine)
    3 Raw Carrots Chopped
    3 Stalks of Celery - Chopped
    1 Onion - Chopped
    2 Cloves of Garlic - Diced
    2 C lentils (rinsed) (I've used whatever the cheapest bulk lentils I could find at Sprouts)
    64oz of Vegetable broth
    1 can of diced tomatoes (I prefer the Rotel with Habanero so that it has some spice, I didn’t think the jalapeno ones had enough spice but I may be crazy) OPTIONAL
    3 Russet potatoes (small or medium) – OPTIONAL (I often add these for bulk)

About 15 minutes before serving add:
    1.5 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
    2 cups Kale (or other green like Spinach or Collard Greens)
    Salt & pepper to taste (the recipe I had told me to add it to the crockpot in the beginning and gave me a measurement. I don't tend to add any at all, but if I feel as if it's needed, I just add a little per serving)