good foods to replace carbs?

Options

Replies

• Luvlicious83
    Options
    This sounds great!!!! I need to invest in a processor or a blender. (oops forgot to quote....this was in response to the mashed/puree cauliflower).
  • Spamee
    Spamee Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Niftygirl16
    Options
    This sounds great!!!! I need to invest in a processor or a blender. (oops forgot to quote....this was in response to the mashed/puree cauliflower).

Actually, you really don't need those things. I use good old fashioned "elbow grease" with just a regular potatoe masher. Obviously the consistency isn't as smooth but I never minded a few lumps in my potatoes growing up :wink:
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Carbs should come mainly from veggies and fruits. If you want to go fancy then sweet potatoes and yams and squash.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Whole grains instead of processed white grains. Whole wheat pasta is actually pretty good. And of course, just eat them in moderation. There's no reason to give them up if you're eating healthier whole grains. I eat plenty carbs and have no troubles losing as long as I seriously limit my refined sugar.

And honestly, I don't understand why sweet potatoes, which have a higher sugar content, are supposed to be better than white potatoes.
  • Misty1480
    Misty1480 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower pizza crust

Ingredients:
    1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
    1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    olive oil (optional)
    pizza sauce, shredded cheese and your choice of toppings*
    directions:

To "Rice" the Cauliflower:
    Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself.
    One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.

To Make the Pizza Crust:
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
    In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, crushed garlic and garlic salt, stir. Transfer to the cookie sheet, and using your hands, pat out into a 9" round. Optional: Brush olive oil over top of mixture to help with browning.
    Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
    Remove from oven. To the crust, add sauce, toppings and cheese. Place under a broiler at high heat just until cheese is melted (approximately 3-4 minutes).
    Enjoy!
    *Note that toppings need to be precooked since you are only broiling for a few minutes.
  • 4my2jays
    4my2jays Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I've seen recipes for a cauliflower bread/crust for pizza, haven't tried it yet, but it looks amazing!

I made it last night for the first time and it was quite delicious.
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i was going to suggest quinoa and couscous, too. as a replacement for rices and larger pastas.

spaghetti squash is good.

if you'd don't want to give them up, then spread them out. or reserve a day of the week for them. eat less of them ( smaller portions).

if you are going to eat breads, rice, potatoes, etc. maybe that day you stay away from the snacky/ treat type stuff.

you can always put in a day into the food diary here and mess around with your meals according to grams of carbs vs. protein vs. calories, etc. see what would work out best for you. :-)

good luck!
  • bronagh20
    bronagh20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thats twice quinoa has been mentioned. sorry but what is it?
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i am SOOOO right there with you!! i truly <3 carbs! i've recently (since starting MFP) started cooking with quinoa and farro... they are both SUPER yummy, and i like them better than rice for SURE. one quinoa recipe i really dig is quinoa with sweet potatoes and mushrooms <http://allrecipes.com/recipe/quinoa-with-sweet-potato-and-mushrooms/detail.aspx>. there's no way i could really never eat pasta again, so now i try to make sure i fill the sauce with veggies and lean protein, use the whole wheat pastas (delallo makes pricey but great ones), and stick to the portion size of the pasta, making sure to get double the veggies. i also like to have toast with breakfast, but recently decided that just cuz the toaster has 2 slots doesn't mean i have to eat 2 pieces... i get just as much satisfaction with one! good luck!!
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katyconser
    katyconser Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    thats twice quinoa has been mentioned. sorry but what is it?

quinoa is a grain that's cooked really similar to the way you cook rice. the difference is that it's a complete protein. just jacked this from wikipedia for ya...

"Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, secondary only to the potato, and was followed in importance by maize. In contemporary times, this crop has become highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), and like oats, quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it a complete protein source.[13] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration human occupied spaceflights."
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eat them in moderation. I don't understand why people think carbs are the devil. If you control your portions and fit in your calorie goals you will still lose weight. Unless there is a medical issue there is no reason to cut out or replace carbs.

This! ^

Just make sure the carbs you eat are higher QUALITY carbs. Sweet potatoes vs regular, whole wheat vs. white (bread & pasta), brown rice vs. white rice. Make the most of your carbs. Whole grains have protein too.
  • brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bumpity Bump!
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options

And honestly, I don't understand why sweet potatoes, which have a higher sugar content, are supposed to be better than white potatoes.

Sweet Potatoes are more complex than white potatoes. White potatoes would break down to sugar a lot faster than sweet potatoes do PLUS they are full of vitamins and nutrients. I was never a sweet potato eater until low carbing. Once you get off the sugar and flour, a sweet potato tastes like heaven! :)
  • bronagh20
    bronagh20 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, definitely going to try some of these out. sound great!
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    i find if i eat carbs i forget to eat veges. so have decided to have some days where i cut out rice/oats etc (I already only eat good carbs) and heap; up my plate with cauli and brocolli and all that good stuff instead. it will reduce my calories and my weight but it will also increase my vitamins and fibre. bodybuilders eat absolutely LOADS of green veges like 8-10 cups a day. by the time you eat all hat you won't need so many comfort carbs.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You could low carb it most of the day and then have a serving of rice, pasta, bread or potato for dinner.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I DEFINATLEY recommend tha you get the carb lovers diet book, that really helped me with my carbs

Message me if you want more details

x
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Use quinoa now instead of rice or pasta. It's a super food! ;)