The Double Belly Syndrome.

Options
Hey guys!

Well, ever since I can really remember... well after puberty hit around age 13, my once flat kid's stomach started to divide in half, right at the bellybutton. There is like an equator line there. And I wasn't even a chubby kid at all... but I'm telling you AS SOON as puberty hit. things started growing every which way. Mainly the stomach area. My legs are still thin, its just the apple shape.

Anywho.... now I have lost almost 20lbs and need to lose probably 50 more. I have 2 kids too.

The bottom belly really hangs low. and I hate it.

Well.. I was wondering if this will EVER go away. My sister, mom, and even aunt have the same thing. However, my sister who once was over weight, and lost all the weight.. well her bottom belly was still there, hanging. So she had it surgically removed. The plastic surgeon said, its probably in the genes and there was no way of getting rid of it any other way, that it was mainly loose skin hanging low. And I've seen the videos of the morbidly obese that lose weight and have skin, her's wasn't like that and she wasn't morbidly obese. She might have lost 60 lbs total. Also, she never had kids either.

I was wondering, does anybody else have the double belly syndrome?

Any of you that already lost your weight, did the bottom belly go away?

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    If the other women in your family have the same thing the surgeon is probably correct, that's it's genetic and only surgery can completely fix it. This is especially true if you started noticing this before you gained weight/had kids.
  • corrieville
    corrieville Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have lost 70lbs so far and it is getting smaller but it is still there. I had a c-section so I am sure that did not help me.
  • Ali_TSO
    Ali_TSO Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My husband has this too. Bumping to see the responses you might get.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't quote me on this since I don't have a source, but I've heard that it has to do with the muscles. That's why women who have had C-Sections get it a lot; their muscles have been sliced right down the middle. I don't know much more about it, or why women who haven't had C-Sections or even given birth would have it. Good luck!
  • BeccaMovinUp
    Options
    Check your posture!
    I have been dealing with the same thing forever.
    Do you slouch a lot? Do your shoulders naturally fall in front of your body?
    Try sitting up straighter and mind your abs, make them work a little.
    Same goes for standing or walking. While running engage your core.
    Planks will help with this as well, but correcting your posture will do wonders.

Good luck!
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    hmm.. i think i'm screwed either way you slice it.. ahhhhhh

genetics since i had it from very young

and 2 c-sections.

oh well.. i guess i'll be investing in a few pairs of spanx!! there's no way i'm dishing out thousands and thousands to get it cut off!
  • picassoadagio
    picassoadagio Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I had it most of my life and 2 c-sections and it hasn't going away. Looks like I'm buying spanxs to look good.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think BeccaMovinUp has the right idea, though... it may not eradicate the issue, but it could only help!
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've had it as long as I can remember as well. Even when I was down to under 100lbs, I STILL had it!! So frustrating...
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've got it too, but just since my first pregnancy. My doc called it Mother's Apron! Then I had a c-section with my second which only made it worse.
  • tkb1985
    tkb1985 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one! (Well I knew I couldn't be, but it sure felt like that sometimes)

No-one else in my family has this, and I've not had kids yet, so I'm hoping that LOTS of core exercises will help.

Doesn't sound good though, does it?! :cry:
  • LOSTFanJG
    LOSTFanJG Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    omg I have the same problem!! Years ago I lost a lot of weight- about 75 lbs. and it was still hanging there as always! I was doing ab exercises, etc. but those can't fix the kind of skin I had under my belly button. I've gained weight since then and am now losing it again but the double belly always remains...it just gets smaller as I lose weight. I have kinda resigned to live with it.....although I have heard that if your hanging skin causes infections, etc. insurance sometimes pays to get it removed....that might only be for severe cases though which I don't think I'd qualify for.:smile:
  • monicaroozo
    Options
    I am 5'4" and not overweight and I struggle with this. In high school (over 10 years ago), I weighed 112 lbs and was very active (running x-country with mileage up to 14 miles). At that point in my life my body fat percentage was very low - and I still had the bottom belly. I have never had any children.

Very frustrating.

At my highest I was 145. Currently, I am down to 120 and giving it another shot to try and rid myself of this!! I will try and refocus my goals toward core and leg exercises. Having seen these comments I will also take posture and planking into consideration!

I try to remind myself that it can be beautiful... take a look at The Birth of Venus painting! http://www.arthistoryguide.com/The_Birth_of_Venus.aspx
  • mama1229
    Options
    I have two bellies too:grumble: My bottom belly seems to get smaller when I lose weight but the excess skin is still there:sad: It reminds me of Adam Sandler's character on the movie "Click" after he lost weight. I can take the extra skin and flop it back and forth. Rather disgusting but something I have resigned to live with as I cannot stomach the thought(no pun intended) of having a skin removal surgery. Shudders:noway:
  • Bella3119
    Options
    I've had this since i was young and have had 2 c-sec. :( shucks! i was hoping this wld go away with core strengthening.

oh well. gotta love my body and all of its sagginess bc i am not going to spend that kind of $.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I've got it too, but just since my first pregnancy. My doc called it Mother's Apron! Then I had a c-section with my second which only made it worse.

Yep that's what my doc calls it too. I even had it with my 2nd pregancy it swelled with fluid....ODD!!!

But i've had 2 c-section but mine weren't vertical as someone earlier suggested. That's old school.

I have known women who've had sections WERE NOT over weight before or during pregnancy and don't have the mother's apron
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Me too. As long as I can remember. No answer to your question though. After 3 c-sections I have given up on having a totally flat belly.
  • obmckenzie
    obmckenzie Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have this too and its annoying as hell. It gets in the way when I try to run and flops around during cardio. I've solved the problem a bit with different workout clothes but I know its there =/. I haven't had kids either.

Does yours look like this?
    14384695_3769.jpg
  • jch623421
    Options
    I have had this also since I can remember-probably around 12? I am 24 now with the same old double belly. I am currently 155 and want to get down to 120. 130 is the lowest I've been and still had it. It does get smaller, but I want it to be gone!! I currently am running to try to get most of the weight off-then focus more on my ab work, but I just wish I could find a way to deplete it once and for all!! It's so frustrating!! No matter how much I lose, I am still not satisfied because of the way I have that crease in my bellybutton! It shows through my clothes and is unattractive!