does sweeteners cause cancer?

Options
Just wondering if sweeteners caused cancer because my husband told me (While I was putting splenda on my strawberries) That sweeteners was proven to cause cancer...

Replies

• hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Do sweeteners cause cancer.

No, they don't, these days everything causes cancer apparently.
  • losingthisweight
    Options
    Aspartame has caused cancer in lab rats but it was given to them in huge amounts and that's pretty much all they ate. Everything in moderation I say!
  • TheBauhausCure
    TheBauhausCure Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cancer (stick to natural stevia instead of aspartame) but the issue with sweetners is that they are MUCH MUCH sweeter than regular sugar, and if eaten on a daily basis, they trick your brain into wanting more and more, and finding things with natural sugar less sweet.

I used to use a ton of fake sugar over my whole life (diet soda, sugar free candy, etc) and I quit it last summer. Now fruit tastes sweeter!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if sweeteners caused cancer because my husband told me (While I was putting splenda on my strawberries) That sweeteners was proven to cause cancer...

That cancer warning on the pink fake sugar packets is due to the fact that the mice were so juiced with aspartame that it was coming out their pores. So yeah, consume a few gallons of Aspartame every day for the next 10 years and you might be in trouble. LMAO. Wouldn't worry about it though, worry more about the friggin' air we breathe if anything. ;)
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Life causes cancer.

/thread.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't know about cancer (stick to natural stevia instead of aspartame) but the issue with sweetners is that they are MUCH MUCH sweeter than regular sugar, and if eaten on a daily basis, they trick your brain into wanting more and more, and finding things with natural sugar less sweet.

I used to use a ton of fake sugar over my whole life (diet soda, sugar free candy, etc) and I quit it last summer. Now fruit tastes sweeter!

For aspartame, the health problem is that it breaks down to methyl alcohol, which is poisonous. So if every meal has one or two aspartame (a.k.a. Nutrasweet) sweetened items, it will cause some problems For saccharin, in massive doses it causes a type of cancer that rodents get but humans do not.

Personally, I'm with the camp that fake sweeteners don't signal satiety and they dull the sweetness of other things. I quit using them (including HFCS) over five years ago, and don't miss them.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Life causes cancer.

/thread.

I was under the impression that eating from tupperware causes cancer. Standing to close to the microwave causes cancer. Cell phones cause cancer. So I have to agree with Sublog - life causes cancer.