Food Addiction/ Overeating and Bingeing?

Options
13»

Replies

• I feel like this all the time and when I binge I can eat really huge amounts! I have to be strict with myself not allow any food I love like chocolate or crisps as I eat way too much! I feel its better to cut it out completely rather than allow myself the odd square of chocolate a biscuit. I have 2 small children who eat healthy most of the time but love treats at the weekend so I can't not buy i, I don't think it is fair for my kids to miss out. I have spent half my adult life on a diet and I am determined this time too lose this weight and change my eating habits!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    There are generally 2 reasons why a person will feel the need to binge...

1. They are out of control in another aspect of life, and focusing on food and "feel good" chemicals that generate from said food help one avoid facing the issues that are out of control. It's why freshman put on the frosh 15, why new moms often gain weight, etc. Stressors cause urges, urges cause binges, binges cause stressors, and it just continues.

2. Physical needs. Sometimes, we start craving because the diet we are utilizing is not providing us enough nutrients. For example... Studies show that when a person craves chocolate, a "high sugar" fruit oftentimes satisfies the same craving. It's often not so much about the food itself, but what our bodies know that food has in it. So...
    Craving candy? Probably need sugar... reach for apples, peaches, grapes, strawberries
    Craving salt? have some salted nuts, sunflowers seeds, or as someone said, a dash in the palm
    Meat? Odds are your iron is low. Have some meat!

The one thing I did see on this thread, though, that I wanted to point out is... "It's hard to avoid junk foods when you have kids" My response to that is, stop making excuses. You are the person that buys the food in your house. Junk food is no healthier for your kids than it is for you. If you can't resist the temptation of poptarts, don't buy poptarts! For a long time in my house growing up, we were not allowed stuff like that, no sugar cereals, no ready to eat potato chips, nothing, unless it was a birthday or a special dinner. If we wanted something like candy, we had to ride our bikes to Walgreens to buy it with our allowance.

My point is, you have to figure out if you are craving emotionally or physically. An eating disorder therapist can help with this A LOT.

Remember...
    You don't have to never eat to be anorexic. Many anorexics eat 800-1000 a day
    You don't have to throw up to be bulimic. Purging includes excessive exercise, laxatives, and eating specific foods or substances you know will make you have a BM for the express purpose of losing weight (and other types of course)
    You should not have to feel like you need to sneak around to eat.
    Food should not make you feel guilty.
    Even fat people need to fuel their bodies to function. Not eating will not solve the problem.
    There are lots of people out there with ED. Enough for a specialization in counseling. Take advantage of your resources!

Lastly, count the positives, not the negatives. Think about your binges in the past. If you used to binge daily, 1-2 times a week is wonderful! Take it into perspective. Just like you can't lose weight overnight, you can't re-wire your relationship with food with the snap of a finger. One step at a time.
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have really big problems limiting myself with food. Anyone else have this issue? I don't mean that extra piece of pizza or cake you shouldn't have. I mean serious overeating. I'm like a bulimic but I don't purge, just binge. At times I can eat thousands and thousands of calories in a binge. I feel like I next to never get full. I have eaten so much at times that I have gained 2-5 pounds in a week. I constantly fight this behavior but it is a serious as an alcoholism or drug addiction, I swear. I binged really, really bad today...I'm embarrassed at how much I ate :( and I am ruining my last year's successful 45 pound weight loss. I don't do this every day or even every week. I am successful at fighting it maybe 75% of the time but the other 25% of the time it beats me. Anyone else that has this issue, add me as a friend or post here. We need support!

It's not the food that's addicting. Its the sugar and the carbs (and yes even the whole grains). I believe that alcoholism is actually a severe carbohydrate addiction. What happens when those people stop drinking? They develop a "sweet tooth". (Carbs travel the same brain pathways as opiate drugs and grains contain "exorphins" which are morphine-like compounds).

The feeling of fullness is just a signal your brain gets from leptin. Leptin is released from your adipose tissue. Eating carbohydrates do not make your fat tissue release the leptin. So you will eat and eat and eat the carbs and not feel full (I would eat until my stomach was bloated up and painful - and would still want to keep eating).

But this is just my beliefs (from my last year and a half of reading and research). Not everyone believes this.
    I'm actually a fat-burner now. My body wants nothing to do with carbs (all non-fiber carbs convert to glucose - except fructose which goes straight to the liver and is converted to fat).

And a lot of the weight from those binges is water weight. Carbs also cause the body to retain sodium and to balance that out it will retain water.
    [/quote

I THINK THIS IS MY PROBLEM TOO, i CAN DO REALLY WELL DURING PHASE 1 OF THE SOUTH BEACH DIET AND THEN ONCE ITS TIME TO RE-INSTRODUCE CARBS IM LIKE RAVONOUS AND IF ITS NEAR THAT TIME OF THE MONTH ITS SO MUCH WORSE...... I GUESS I NEED TO PUT MY MIND TO IT MORE THAN EVER. ITS VERY HARD :/
  • IrishBeauty15
    Options
    I have the same problem. I eat and eat until I feel sick even if im not hungry. I dont throw up, just eat anything and everything in site. Its mostly when im bored or upset. Ive noticed drinking lots of water and staying out of the house when im alone helps. I try to keep busy with my fiance and son to take my mind of food.
  • MartiJJohnston
    Options
    It's good to know I'm not alone. I've been looking for a support group in my area, but haven't found one yet that is at a good time. Thank you for opening up and posting this. I'll be re-reading this thread and making friend requests soon....

I've just come off a week long binge after I found out I had to take 2 more rounds of steriods. I thought "Well, I'm going to gain weight anyway, so I might as well enjoy it." WRONG thought pattern! Then I sunk deeper in depression. All this after losing 11 pounds in January. I'm so pissed at myself for messing all of that up!

Ugh... Thanks to all who have posted links and recommended books. I'm going to make some notes and start shopping. :flowerforyou:
  • StephTink76
    StephTink76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    yes :cry:
  • morgandy
    Options

1. They are out of control in another aspect of life, and focusing on food and "feel good" chemicals that generate from said food help one avoid facing the issues that are out of control. It's why freshman put on the frosh 15, why new moms often gain weight, etc. Stressors cause urges, urges cause binges, binges cause stressors, and it just continues.

2. Physical needs. Sometimes, we start craving because the diet we are utilizing is not providing us enough nutrients. For example... Studies show that when a person craves chocolate, a "high sugar" fruit oftentimes satisfies the same craving. It's often not so much about the food itself, but what our bodies know that food has in it. So...
    Craving candy? Probably need sugar... reach for apples, peaches, grapes, strawberries
    Craving salt? have some salted nuts, sunflowers seeds, or as someone said, a dash in the palm

The one thing I did see on this thread, though, that I wanted to point out is... "It's hard to avoid junk foods when you have kids" My response to that is, stop making excuses. You are the person that buys the food in your house. Junk food is no healthier for your kids than it is for you. If you can't resist the temptation of poptarts, don't buy poptarts! For a long time in my house growing up, we were not allowed stuff like that, no sugar cereals, no ready to eat potato chips, nothing, unless it was a birthday or a special dinner. If we wanted something like candy, we had to ride our bikes to Walgreens to buy it with our allowance.

My point is, you have to figure out if you are craving emotionally or physically. An eating disorder therapist can help with this A LOT.

Remember...
    You don't have to throw up to be bulimic. Purging includes excessive exercise, laxatives, and eating specific foods or substances you know will make you have a BM for the express purpose of losing weight (and other types of course)
    Even fat people need to fuel their bodies to function. Not eating will not solve the problem.
    There are lots of people out there with ED. Enough for a specialization in counseling. Take advantage of your resources!

Lastly, count the positives, not the negatives. Think about your binges in the past. If you used to binge daily, 1-2 times a week is wonderful! Take it into perspective. Just like you can't lose weight overnight, you can't re-wire your relationship with food with the snap of a finger. One step at a time.

Good post. And food can absolutely be an addiction, especially when people use it for reason number 1. People also underestimate the power of food as an addiction, even me whose struggled with binging and purging for 10 years. I was just at an addictions workshop for family members the other day and the therapist there mentioned that the average recovery time for someone with an eating disorder is 9 years... 9 years!! And you know what, I believe that. You can't simply abstain from food, like you can from alcohol, narcotics, or even addictions like gambling or shopping. It stares you in the face every day, whether you try to abstain or not - and if you do try, your body's survival mechanisms will eventually kick in. Even anorexics go into mindless binges when they're on the brink of starvation.

I've been in full recovery for about 4 years now and I still have slip-ups from time to time. Last night, I ate an entire small pizza, which is absolutely nothing compared to what I used to eat in one sitting :) The binges get smaller and fewer and far between. No easy answers on how to get to that place. What worked for me was a lot of therapy, peer support, and good books. I also had to figure out what really made me happy (other than food!).

Just know that recovery is possible!!!
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I can absolutely relate to all here!! My problem is binging at night, just before bed and its horrible. The next day i feel like i have a hangover. For me i am looking at the real possibility that i am filling a void just as i had done in the past with drugs. I made a decision (which I know a decision without action is no good) to try using the 12 steps used in NA, OA, AA starting with the 1st step, substituting the word drug with food. We admitted we were powerless over our addiction (in this case food) and that our lives had become unmanageable. i know for me this is true. My binging leads to depression, lack of exercise, the screw its, and a host of other negative behaviors.
    I am just returning to MFP, again. I first joined this site in April of 2010 and i did really well, i have been here off and on since. Just for today i will use MFP to the fullest and get all the benefits offered. I am grateful for this site. The fact that i keep coming back shows me i want this. I have to take the steps to get to my goal, Thinking more positive today.
    Yesterday was the first time i actually made a conscience effort to exercise and I felt really good about it. Today I am going to do it again! One day at a time i will reach my goal.
    Thanks to everyone here who shared, it has helped me to stay focused.
    I hope everyone has a successful day!!!!
  • greekygirl
    greekygirl Posts: 448 Member
    Options

^^
    THIS :smile:
  • Ttrishaa
    Ttrishaa Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've found that I'm worse about binge eating when I haven't had regular meals, then I just turn into a human vacuum and next thing I know I've eaten way too much and don't realize I'm full until the damage has been done.

Lately I have been making it a habit to keep almonds in my room so if I start to feel hungry I'll take out a small handful; I keep them out of sight specifically so I don't mindlessly eat them. I also always keep water handy and that has really helped as well. Oh and if you have a monster sweet tooth like I do, frozen yoplait whips are great! They force me to eat slowly and usually I find that I wasn't as hungry as I thought I was.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Remember...

Good post. And food can absolutely be an addiction, especially when people use it for reason number 1. People also underestimate the power of food as an addiction, even me whose struggled with binging and purging for 10 years. I was just at an addictions workshop for family members the other day and the therapist there mentioned that the average recovery time for someone with an eating disorder is 9 years... 9 years!! And you know what, I believe that. You can't simply abstain from food, like you can from alcohol, narcotics, or even addictions like gambling or shopping. It stares you in the face every day, whether you try to abstain or not - and if you do try, your body's survival mechanisms will eventually kick in. Even anorexics go into mindless binges when they're on the brink of starvation.

I've been in full recovery for about 4 years now and I still have slip-ups from time to time. Last night, I ate an entire small pizza, which is absolutely nothing compared to what I used to eat in one sitting :) The binges get smaller and fewer and far between. No easy answers on how to get to that place. What worked for me was a lot of therapy, peer support, and good books. I also had to figure out what really made me happy (other than food!).

Just know that recovery is possible!!!

Thank you both for this^^!
    It's good to know there are others out there that struggle in the same fashion as me. It's also heartbreaking because I know how much every one of you hurts. :(

Binge eating and a vicious binge/starve cycle is something I struggle with daily and I have finally sought the help of a therapist with a specialty in eating disorders. He has been tremendously helpful. It took me a LONG time to take that step. I legitimately thought that because I'm not severely underweight or exceedingly obese that I did not deserve specialized help for my disordered eating habits. Until fairly recently I didn't even realize how disordered my eating had actually become. There are days when I still feel that I am a waste of his time but for the first time in a long time I feel like there really is hope that I can overcome this and learn how to live without a constant preoccupation about food.

Thank you also to the poster who posted the link to the Binge Eating Support group. I've been looking for that!
    :flowerforyou:
  • UCONNCOED
    UCONNCOED Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I posted up earlier and I am relieved to see how many people can really relate to this problem. Thank you for all the small tips and pieces of the advice. Anyone else looking for support feel free to add me too! Yesterday I did not binge. Gotta start somewhere, trying to get a few days under my belt!
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I used to be this way, so I feel for you. What changed my eating habits was two things. One, cutting carbs dramatically. To about 20-30- grams per day. No pasta, chips, rice, taters, and sugar. This was hard, but after a week, my cravings were gone.

Also, I exercise at the gym every day. i do it until I burn. I take hard cardio classes, and I don't care how stupid I look, I am not strong, so I lose my breath quickly, but I still do my best to keep up, and by the end of a class, I feel like I have whipped the world. Somehow, by incorporating exercise into my lifestyle, I don't feel the cravings like I used to.

Hope this helps.
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you have food addiction, generally you may need help/support in a psychological way.
    A good book might be a start, if you want to feel more independent. Some people may need more than this in the form of councelling or psychological support. (You will know best, I know I eat when I am sad)

I think alot of us comfort eat for various reasons. Sometimes short term, sometimes over entire life.

I know, I needed help initially to lose weight and change the patterns of a life times. Went to organised weight loss

My little rules now are;

Stick to diet for first few weeks. Stomach shrinks and its harder to eat so much.

Eat every 3 to 4 hours. Healthy snacks can be included. Wait for that snack!

Conventional Carbs and sugars are addictive! Avoid if possible. Getting bread, flour based stuff, out of diet has been a good thing for me.

Allow a decent meal once a week, and purge through exercise the next day.

Salad or soup for lunch with some protein. Its harder to gorge on salad

If on v low cal diet, ask yourself if you are nutrient depleted. That can create huge cravings. Multi vitamin and mineral may help
  • artnun
    Options
    a lot of good things here! thank you for all your input.

I am a compulsive overeater, I struggle with this periodically, more and more lately.

There are some foods I cannot eat anymore at all, and others that I can handle only in public, or in severe quantity control. I often will find my self at the fridge/cupboard after I have been frustrated/annoyed/ stressed/angry about something.

I know this seems overly simple but taking several slow deep breaths and recognizing that I am stressed often helps me stop, slow, or delay the binge. I am aware that if I would find ways to deal with the stress: exercising, yoga,napping,breathing,massage, it would help me reduce the bingeing. its never going to go away completely, but I can at least be aware and keep at it. its a slow process, because its complex but I know that if I give up I will be severely obese in stead of just obese.
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump. I need all this information!
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Yes, I feel the same as everyone here. Really struggle with binging on a daily basis nowadays. I can't believe it's gotten this bad. I don't remember ever having serious binging tendencies until I started counting calories and becoming more aware of my food intake either, which I find weird. Someone earlier said something along the lines of "Well so and so thinks I'm perfect, so who cares if I don't lose more weight", which is exactly how almost all of my binges start. It's also hard, since a lot of my family can't relate to my binging (even though they're quite over-weight). It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who can eat thousands of calories within an hour or two without ever feeling full.

I think the binging tendencies are more common than we realize but "normal" people just move on--they don't think about it, restrict (consciously), or compensate. How many times have you and a friend polished off a pizza? or gone to a buffet? (a non dieting friend)...do they count the calories, obsess over how much they ate? probably not. counting calories makes you hyper aware of your intake and it becomes a judgment call when you ate "too much" and that spurs the feelings of being out of control.

ABSOLUTELY!!! Its all a judgement and we are often our own worse critics!
  • curiositycat
    curiositycat Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bump