CLA anyone?

Options
Just wondering if anyone on this forum is/was using CLA (Conjugated Linoeic Acid) as part of their weight loss plan? I understand it is a fat burner and muscle toner.

What more can you tell me about it? Worth it or not?

Replies

• Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Bumpety Bump!
  • Emilia6909
    Options
    One more bump! :happy:
  • angbak60
    angbak60 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding ignorant - what does "bump" mean??? Thanks
  • Emilia6909
    Options
    At the risk of sounding ignorant - what does "bump" mean??? Thanks

bumping to top of page in order to get response! LOL
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Studies are decidedly mixed at it's effectiveness for weight loss

Studies showing little or no effect of CLA supplementation

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82

And there's this one, which I don't totally buy into

Effect of Animal and Industrial Trans Fatty Acids on HDL and LDL Cholesterol Levels in Humans – A Quantitative Review. PLoS ONE 5(3): e9434. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0009434

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009434
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have been taking it twice a day for the past 6 months. I have lost 71# since August, but exercise every day & eat right. I'm not sure how big of a role it has played, but I'm still taking it upon recommendation from my trainer. Why fix it if it ain't broke? :)
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I agree with Acg... there aren't many proper studies to support that it works. My doctor has said that there's really no proof it does anything different than what proper diet and exercise already does.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    a few years ago i tried it. i was on it for a little over 6 months while eating semi-healthy and playing rugby and skating derby, so i was getting a ton of exercise. it didn't help me drop a single pound! i spent over $200 on worthless pills. they haven't helped any of my friends either. don't waste your money!

xenadrine doesn't work either, so if that's your next step, just skip it.

almost all of the weight loss "aids" are worthless.
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I recently this month started taking Hydroxycut CLA because I had hit a plateau and felt I needed an Umph! I have started losing weight again and I take them twice a day. I can't say whether it is because of the CLA or not, but I am continuing to take it. Hope that helps!
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    a few years ago i tried it. i was on it for a little over 6 months while eating semi-healthy and playing rugby and skating derby, so i was getting a ton of exercise. it didn't help me drop a single pound! i spent over $200 on worthless pills. they haven't helped any of my friends either. don't waste your money!

xenadrine doesn't work either, so if that's your next step, just skip it.

almost all of the weight loss "aids" are worthless.

I have never tried the CLA personally, but I have tried just about everything else on the market. I came to the conclusion that the only thing that works is diet and exercise, for me anyway..... eat less, move more.
  • Emilia6909
    Options
    Interesting replies - Thank you!

My weight loss is doing good so not desperate to try it.... Just interested to know if it is worth considering or not! :wink:
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Have tried it two different times, in conjunction with exercise and eating right. My loss of weight overall, fat loss vs muscle development. lean muscle change, etc. were not changed/increased/decreased at all with or without CLA. Same results ether way.

If you want to try it, save some money and pick some up at www.vitacost.com. You can read the reviews, costs are better, and shippings very cheap. I have used them many years, good company.

I have used the reg and tounalin version, took higher doses, twice a day - for at least 4 months per "test". For me it does not work.