water count...

Options
Hi! I'm curious to know if anyone counts the water in your tea or coffee as 1 cup? or if it is even necessary? Thanks.( I drink about 1 cup of coffee and 2-4 cups of green tea, plus 6-8 cups of water a day)

Replies

• mjok31
    mjok31 Posts: 84
    Options
    I do! Figure it's just flavored water.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I don't. Personally for water consumption I only count pure water... I won't count it if I put flavourings in. However I drink a ton of water as it is and prefer it over almost anythiny else.
  • behappydance
    Options
    Yeah I only count pure water.
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Yes. Only if it is unsweetened tea. I also count diet drinks. Let me find this article I read from the Mayo Clinic regarding water and I'll post it for you.
  • annie24342
    annie24342 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have heard you can count any drinks without caffeine (because caffeine actually dehydrates you, making you need even more water!). But I'm not sure if that's true...
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    Here it is. It states that all fluids count towards your goal. I don't count regular sodas but I do count diet ones and all unsweetened teas and artificially sweentened drinks.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • TONYAGOOCH
    Options
    FYI...the majority of my fluids do come from just water and tea though. I'm not a soda *kitten*. Well not anymore. lol
  • gsarro
    gsarro Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    pure water is all I count.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person! I don't count anything but clean water for my water count. But I do drink coffee, tea and other stuff throughout the day. I get LOTS of fluids! lol.

If you eat a lot of raw, fresh fruits and veggies you don't need as much water. But if you eat a lot of prepackaged stuff with loads of sodium, you need more.
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It depends on your reason for recording your water consumption. For myself, recording every drink (including my coffee) serves a reminder of how much I have had to drink during the day and how much more fluid I need to consume. If I have coffee I record it as one cup, even though it is 11-12 oz. Same with my water glass, which actually hold 12 oz. I just record that as one glass.
  • mama_of_3cubs
    mama_of_3cubs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well thank you all for your insight. I,myself, usually just add pure water too and put my tea and coffee under snacks (Tea has 1g of carbohydrates and I mix my coffee with a tsp. of honey and 1/4 cup of 2%) but if I drink my coffee black then I just add it to the water count.) I eat plenty of fresh fruit and veggies during the day and usually go over the recommended 8 cups :) Just trying to get the hang of my food diary;) again Thank-you all for the replies!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    There is much controversy on this topic in another thread around here somewhere. :smile: Personally, I only count pure water, not coffee, tea, water in my soup - nothing. :drinker: I know that if I don't get at LEAST 6 or more glass of straight water per day, by bedtime I am super thirsty. I try to get at least 8 a day, more if I've had a good workout. But that's just me.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Ya, lots of controversy on this topic. Seems that studies contradict each other so much, you just don't know who to believe. I'm at the point where I question if 8 glasses a day re really necessary.

But here's my take: if you find that when you pee, it's usually dark, you probably should increase your water supply. If tea or coffee are your choice, drink more and see what happens. You may find that you need more pure water to change the color. In general, the darker your pee, the more dehydrated you are.

As for how I log water: only pure water (I may add lemon) is what I track.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm curious to know if anyone counts the water in your tea or coffee as 1 cup? or if it is even necessary? Thanks.( I drink about 1 cup of coffee and 2-4 cups of green tea, plus 6-8 cups of water a day)
    Your body counts (or logs) it all as water, so you're doing fine to add your tea and coffee into your water intake.:smile: