First Tri: help!

Options
Hi,

Last year I did a 580 mi bike ride that has me addicted to breaking through the barriers I've always assumed i could never do- including, a Tri. So, now, I want to sign up for a Tri in mid June. My goal: to simply do my best and cross the finish line.

I'm not quite starting from the couch, but could use some tips/resources that provide training plans particularly for swimming.

I'm a decent swimmer but need to build endurance and welcome tips on how to accurately evaluate how my skills will measure up for open-water chaos.

What 's your favourite tri-prep book to nerd out with?

Anyone doing the National Tri in DC this June?

What's your favourite training tips?

Cheers!

Stephanei

Replies

• mszebra
    Options
    *bump*

I'm curious to hear advice about this!
  • scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Slow Fat Triathlete is a great book even if you're not slow or fat. It's very motivational and will tell you what to expect on race day.
  • shydal
    shydal Posts: 16
    Options
    Very cool. Will check that book out. Thanks!
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The best resource I have found is BeginnerTriathlete.com Raced my first tri using plans found there for free 3 years ago and will be doing my first IronMan this year using a free plan on that site as well. Lots of good people there that can offer good advice for the noob as well.

If you decide to have a look you can find me there and I can help get you started. Same name as here, Batlou.
  • kmbhoya2000
    kmbhoya2000 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    BeginnerTriathlete.com is an amazing resource! When I did my first triathlon, i joined a training group on there and it was great to have someone focused on a small group of us who would help to support and encourage and answer all questions... I also read Slow Fat triathlete, it helped to convince me that I could do it. I have a fairly severe autoimmune rheumatoid disease that I've had for 20 years. I have walked 2 marathons, and then decided to try the triathlons. If swimming isn't a strength, I would definitely recommend finding a swimming group at a Y, or finding a place where you could get a couple of lessons... Good luck! It's fun pushing through "barriers"!! Actually my photo here is from the morning of my triathlon...
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    x10000 on BeginnerTriathlete.com
  • Runningfree2012
    Options
    BeginnerTriathlete.com is a great website. I did my first tri last year and I used that site alot. What kind of tri are you doing? I did a reverse mini tri. 3 mile run, 6 mile bike and 150 m swim. Good luck
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Good for you. If you did a 580 mile bike ride, you can do a triathlon. A good website is http://www.active.com/triathlon/ because they have articles just like you would read in a magazine for all levels. Even though I've been racing for six years, I still learn something new from that website via their monthly newsletter. Good luck!!
  • shydal
    shydal Posts: 16
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips and support!

From popular demand, I have signed up for begginertriathlete.com- excited to check it out! (code name, shydal, if you want to connect up there too)

I had wanted to do the dc triathlon (June), but am leaning more towards the september nation's tri - less crunch, more support since i can get into the local (dc) clinics and less panic. It is an olympic tri - super psyched.

What tris are on your plates for the year? ;)

* now to scout out the site*