How did you reduce your body fat %

Options

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Yes, in any hypo caloric diet you will lose muscle. But that's what happens.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Okay... I'm obviously new here and still trying to learn. But can someone tel me what is meant by calorie deficit?

HA! Seriously?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I can never hit 13.5 meals. Some days, it's 13. And other days, it's 14. But never the magic 13.5.

:frown:
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Training. Up your training level. Do it either with more intensity or a longer duration. Do cardio at least every weekday . Weights will def help but you ain't gonna see muscle without getting rid of the fat. Do cardio early, REV up your metabolism for the rest of the day,

Look at the times you eat, as a rule try not to eat large quantities of carbs after 6. Up your protein.

Calorie deficit, **** load of sweat... You can't go wrong.

Not going to lie but I think this isn't going to do. As was already said, lot of cardio without strength gets muscle loss. You want to maintain the lean muscle mass you have!

That said, there's no perfect formula! I've gone from 28% to 21% (little higher at the moment ;) and I am still working to get below 20. That said, I have never seen result like I did when I started lifting heavy! New Rules of Lifting is great.
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    A small caloric deficit (too large and you will lose muscle), adequate protein, and a heavy weight lifting regimen.

how do you know how many calories to eat? I have upped mine and still no loss...been the same for months (5 months)

check out this spreadsheet. its pretty in the weeds but you can calculate your maintenance calories and determine a good calorie deficit or surplus for weight loss or gain
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Okay... I'm obviously new here and still trying to learn. But can someone tel me what is meant by calorie deficit?

I immediately thought this meant to decrease your calorie intake; but I see where someone has mentioned that they have increased their intake. I'm confused.

Your calorie deficit is the difference between what you take in and what your body burns throughout the day. MFP builds in your calorie deficit for you when you set up your profile with a setting saying you want to lose weight. MFP takes the age/sex/height/weight info that you give in your profile along with your activity level and uses a formula that estimates about how many calories your body burns during a normal day (referred to as 'TDEE' - total daily energy expenditure, or 'maintenance calories'). Then when you tell it you want to lose weight, it subtracts a number from that 'TDEE' number it calculated to help you reach your weightloss goals. For example, if MFP estimated your TDEE to be 2000 calories per day and you asked it to help you lose 1 lb per week, it would subtract 500 calories off of that daily TDEE of 2000 and give you a dailiy calorie goal of 1500 per day. (reason being that it takes about 3500 calories to make up a lb of fat, so creating a deficit of 500 calories per day adds up to a weekly deficit of 3500 calories, i.e. 1 lb).

The thing is, there is a certain amount that your body burns even if you didn't roll out of bed that day at all (basal metabolic rate a.k.a. 'BMR'), and MFP uses that number in its calculations but it may set a daily calorie goal for you that is lower than that number just based on your TDEE and requested rate of weightloss - many people feel it's not a good idea to eat lower than BMR number which is one reason that some people increase their intake over what MFP may have recommended. Some people also just find that their weightloss stalls out if they're eating *too little* which is another reason people may increase over what MFP recommended. Also, MFP math is great and all but in the end it's just an estimate, sometimes people find that their reality is a little off from MFP estimations, yet another reason for trial-and-error of increasing calories. :-)
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    A small caloric deficit (too large and you will lose muscle), adequate protein, and a heavy weight lifting regimen.

how do you know how many calories to eat? I have upped mine and still no loss...been the same for months (5 months)

oops here is the spreadsheet http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    High protein, lower carb and low fat clean diet plus working out 7 days per week.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Small calorie deficit (about 200 less than maintenance), strength training, at least 1g protein per pound of lean body weight, and cardio because I get enjoyment out of it.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

HA! Seriously?

she has 10 posts and signed up in February, so I think she might have been serious....
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

I immediately thought this meant to decrease your calorie intake; but I see where someone has mentioned that they have increased their intake. I'm confused.

It equals eating less calories than what you would burn in a day. So if your burn lets say 1800 a day between normal activity and exercise, but eat 1600 per day you will have a deficit. Ifyou lower what you are eating to 1400 you will have a bigger deficit (ie potential faster weight loss). But, lets say you lower to 1200 calories a day. You may either have too big a deficit and lose weight too fast, or you may not be getting enough nutrients and your body may hold on to the weight. That's why people do the trial and error thing and play around with their calories
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit.

Personally I ate clean at a deficit and did a combination of cardio and wieght lifting. No special formula.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    High protein, lower carb and low fat clean diet plus working out 7 days per week.

Please don't work out 7 days a week. Its a sure road to injury. Most programs incorporate rest days to allow your body to recover, that's important too. Being active 7 days a week is a different story :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Training. Up your training level. Do it either with more intensity or a longer duration. Do cardio at least every weekday . Weights will def help but you ain't gonna see muscle without getting rid of the fat. Do cardio early, REV up your metabolism for the rest of the day,

Look at the times you eat, as a rule try not to eat large quantities of carbs after 6. Up your protein.

You don't need cardio, you can have the caloric deficit from diet alone, cardio just allows you to eat more (when it comes to weight loss) cardio is good for other reasons but not for changing body composition, weights with a small caloric deficit will get you to a lower BF% at your goal weight.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options

HA! Seriously?

she has 10 posts and signed up in February, so I think she might have been serious....

I'm sorry. Was this not a place where I should be asking questions? I apologize if that was a stupid question. I'll go look for the appropriate forum to ask my questions (i.e. - newbie board or something).

Also, thanks to anyone who answered. Makes sense but off bat I had no idea what you were talking about. I am very new to this (less than a week - signed up like the 23rd or something) so I'm trying to ensure I do what I'm supposed to do. Not just what others are doing. Now that I understand I can make sure I am planning workouts and caloric intake appropriately.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options

HA! Seriously?

I'm sorry. Was this not a place where I should be asking questions? I apologize if that was a stupid question. I'll go look for the appropriate forum to ask my questions (i.e. - newbie board or something).

Also, thanks to anyone who answered. Makes sense but off bat I had no idea what you were talking about. I am very new to this (less than a week - signed up like the 23rd or something) so I'm trying to ensure I do what I'm supposed to do. Not just what others are doing. Now that I understand I can make sure I am planning workouts and caloric intake appropriately.

no, sweetie. No apology! This IS the place to ask!! I hope the answers given were helpful.
  • Julesjhj
    Julesjhj Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I lowered my body fat considerably over the last few years by eating cleaner, being very active, incorporating progressively heavier weights each month and at first cutting back on carbs but now I really try to not eat grains, legumes and processed foods. I try to keep my carb count around 75 but life often gets in the way so I try to eat really clean 80% of the time. I try to get 8 hours of sleep every night. I've gotten my BMI down to 20...my ultimate goal is 18....I was 70lbs heavier 3 years ago and my BMI was 30 or higher. This is what has worked for me.

Good Luck! :)
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

oops here is the spreadsheet http://interzone.kicks-*kitten*.net/Calculating_calories.xls

I was going to suggest this, it has been a great help to me to find an average number to get my maintenance cals
  • Chibs82
    Chibs82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

You don't need cardio, you can have the caloric deficit from diet alone, cardio just allows you to eat more (when it comes to weight loss) cardio is good for other reasons but not for changing body composition, weights with a small caloric deficit will get you to a lower BF% at your goal weight.

Cardio raises metabolsim. This will would increase the overall effectiveness of what my suggestion of a plan would be. And cardio's a broad spectrum from getting off your *kitten* and walking round the park to rockin' a tread mill for an hour.

You don't *need* to do anything. But your opinion does not negate anothers. You can offer opinons without having to debate someone else's. And put a shirt on or get a tan ... but pick one will ya.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Simply put, exercise more & eat less.

I've been able to reach and maintain a low body fat using opposite ends of the exercise spectrum. I've done it with lifting weights rather intensely & little to no cardio, and I've also done it with running a ton & very little strength training.
    Lifting weights gave me more wiggle room on my diet, but they've both been able to get me to 10% BF range.