What to eat for my cleanse

13»

Replies

• Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    I would suggest food.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    I never understood the "cleanse" craze. Kinda reminds me of the crap (no pun intended) that obssessed people like Rev Sylvester Graham, a self proclaimed diet guru and creator of the Graham Cracker and Dr. John Harvey Kellogg creator of Corn Flakes. Both did make worthwhile contributions to the American diet, but many of their reasons for doing so were somewhat "flakey" to say the least. Same principal, different era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060620172553AAigy5V

As another posted said, your body rids itself of toxins every day and a I don't believe a restrictive diet has anything to do with the process. Just MHO on the matter.

P.S. No offense intended to the OP.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Have a look for books by Michael Pollan.
    He suggests: "eat food, mostly plants, not too much".

By "eat food" he means avoiding the things that come in boxes in the supermarket that pretend to be tasty strawberry (or whatever) flavoured something but really are just a bunch of highly process sugars held together with fat and liberally laced with salt.

It sounds like you are looking to change some poor eating habits into better ones - why not set yourself a goal of cooking your own meals from actual ingredients (like meat, fish, chicken, nuts, eggs, fruit, veggies, lentils, beans etc)? Challenge yourself to try a new recipe every day, pick up a veggie or fruit that you haven't had before from the supermarket and google a recipe for it, focus on home cooked food made from food, not supermarket stuff made from boxes.

This way you will experience lots of new foods, get new recipe ideas and be eating really healthy stuff.
    Don't go down the "clease" path - there is no need to try to get toxins out of your body, that is what your kidney and liver and other bodily systems are for. Just give your body good food to work with, do a bit of exercise and you'll feel great!
  • lyninit2winit
    lyninit2winit Posts: 70 Member
    I did it as a drastic cleanse bc of dx of irritible bowel syndrome and i was having a lot of nausea diharrhea and constipation. Stress made it worse and the medications agrrivated it. So I got so sick I was desperate. So I stopped the meds and prayed did a cleanse for the first week and when I got back into my regular diet my symptoms were gone. But I would have not done so drastic if i was not so ill at the time. Supplements and vitamins are always good to use ... I also used some protein replacement shakes at times.
  • edited
  • Have you ever eaten quinoa? It's a gf, grain. It cooks like rice and is good hot or cold. My family loves it with vegetables and a little salt. Most regular grocery stores carry it in the health food section. It's a great product for everyone regardless of health goals. Full of protein and fiber...

I have never had it before. Is it hard to cook? I will have to go look at the grocery store to see about it then. I have to make a trip to get some brown rice and orange juice anyways...

It's very easy to cook. You can actually add some into your rice. Then just learn to play with it by adding veges and herbs
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    The only thing cleanses clean out is your wallet.
  • lyninit2winit
    I think it is ok and it works well if done for a reason. My reason was that I had a severe motorcycle accident in 2003 and was on so much medications related to the incident. So in 2008 I did a cleanse. But my mother is radical she believes that anytime you a sick a laxative or enema will make you better. i told her i had a sinus infection and she said im sorry take a laxative ... lol.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    No offense dear, but the fact that you have absolutely zero understanding of what diet it is that you want to follow and are unable to clearly articulate the parameters of your new eating habits( or your desired outcome) I am flabbergasted as to why you feel like a group of strangers on the internet can tell you what to eat.

I honestly give this advice with kind intentions. You need to do some more research about what it means to eat healthy and attempt to create a plan on the knowledge you have learned. It's confusing for us all because there is scads of conflicting information out there; however, you have to have a baseline of knowledge to even begin to make a decision. Best of luck to you!
  • lyninit2winit
    Thats Good advice heidi
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    I work for Gastrointestinal Doctors and they say there is NO ADVANTAGE to doing a cleanse. It is all just a gimmick to make you want to buy stuff. Think of it as a FAD diet they are trying to sell you. Your Gastro Intestinal tract has to have bacteria in it to work properly.

Just start eating cleaner; you dont have to do any number of days of being totally off certain foods.and eat certain foods for a cleanse. you should Cleanse your body of the bad things you are eating that are keeping you from losing weight or feeling better or whatever the reason is you are here on MFP
  • Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    Have a look for books by Michael Pollan.
    He suggests: "eat food, mostly plants, not too much".

By "eat food" he means avoiding the things that come in boxes in the supermarket that pretend to be tasty strawberry (or whatever) flavoured something but really are just a bunch of highly process sugars held together with fat and liberally laced with salt.

It sounds like you are looking to change some poor eating habits into better ones - why not set yourself a goal of cooking your own meals from actual ingredients (like meat, fish, chicken, nuts, eggs, fruit, veggies, lentils, beans etc)? Challenge yourself to try a new recipe every day, pick up a veggie or fruit that you haven't had before from the supermarket and google a recipe for it, focus on home cooked food made from food, not supermarket stuff made from boxes.

This way you will experience lots of new foods, get new recipe ideas and be eating really healthy stuff.
    Don't go down the "clease" path - there is no need to try to get toxins out of your body, that is what your kidney and liver and other bodily systems are for. Just give your body good food to work with, do a bit of exercise and you'll feel great!

that is a good idea thanks and that is what I am trying to do. I guess "cleanse" has a negative connotation in a lot of people's minds. I am trying to limit my diet of these highly processed foods but it is so hard bc they are convenient and have been a daily part of my life for many years.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Hey!

So personally, I am a big fan of the cleanse I did last June called "Clean" (http://www.cleanprogram.com/)

It's No
    gluten, red meat, processed food, eggs, unnatural sugar, caffeine, alcohol, dairy, nightshades, corn, soy, or "mucous forming foods" like bananas.

You also have two liquid meals a day -- not juices though, high cal/protein smoothies or soups. There are a million recipes on the site and in the forums and the community there is amazing. It's very difficult and 3 weeks long, but you feel great after and it really helps jumpstart your eating habits. I felt cleaner afterwards and lost about 8 lbs, most of which was water weight.

The biggest things I gained out of it were learning that I don't need to eat a million things a day to feel full, I can eat a lot less and still feel healthy and full. Also, I learned a lot about how gluten makes me feel and to this day I still avoid gluten, dairy, processed foods, soda, and red meat as often as possible because I feel healthier when I do.

Do not buy into their talk about how you have to buy a kit to do the cleanse though. It does make it easier, but I personally didn't like the idea and did it entirely naturally. I did however buy some of the supplements that they recommend, I'm not sure that I felt any different because of them though and they were expensive.

I highly recommend doing Clean!!! Research it for a while and read his book, it really helps you understand the diet and why you do it.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you want!

So, what specific health benefits did your derive from this "cleanse"? And the point of avoiding "mucus forming foods" is?

I had a look at the good doctor's website, long on anecdotes, short on data and specific benefits. (expensive products)

Gwyneth Paltrow says:

“As I write this, I am finishing the amazing three-week long Clean detox program... I can report that it worked wonders”

I'm convinced!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    He was pulling your leg, simply green is a line of household cleaner.

Specifically what toxins are you trying to "cleanse" your body of? Removing toxins etc from your bloodstream is one of the functions of the liver. These other "cleanse" and "detox" programs (unless you're getting off drugs) are nonsense and a waste of money. There is some evidence to suggest that periodically fasting for a day or two may actually be good for you but as long as you're drinking enough fluids and eating enough fibre you're good to go (no pun intended).

Oh gee! Yeah, I heard of the brand simply green before. I was thinking it might also refer to something else. Bleh! I guess I am trying to eat better but sort of jump starting my system but doing a cleanse if that makes sense. My diet is horrible and I want to eat more natural food and whatnot. I just want to do this for its duration. I hear that it makes people feel so much better! My food diary is viewable (I am not sure if its public to all or friends only though). I should drink more water. I average like 6 cups a day. :/ I do get a lot of fiber though but I am not sure if it is coming from the right source. What I mean is that it is best to get fiber from it's main direct source like vegetables and fruits versus highlyl processed fiber bars, cereal, or even those fiber powder you sprinkle in your drinks and food, lol.

Not sure why you would cut out eggs to do this. Eggs are really good for you. I would suggest eating raw or lightly steamed veggies, fresh fruits, lean meats and dairy. Try to avoid processed foods or anything with more than 4 ingredients on the label.
  • Pooterly
    Pooterly Posts: 61 Member
    He was pulling your leg, simply green is a line of household cleaner.

Specifically what toxins are you trying to "cleanse" your body of? Removing toxins etc from your bloodstream is one of the functions of the liver. These other "cleanse" and "detox" programs (unless you're getting off drugs) are nonsense and a waste of money. There is some evidence to suggest that periodically fasting for a day or two may actually be good for you but as long as you're drinking enough fluids and eating enough fibre you're good to go (no pun intended).

Oh gee! Yeah, I heard of the brand simply green before. I was thinking it might also refer to something else. Bleh! I guess I am trying to eat better but sort of jump starting my system but doing a cleanse if that makes sense. My diet is horrible and I want to eat more natural food and whatnot. I just want to do this for its duration. I hear that it makes people feel so much better! My food diary is viewable (I am not sure if its public to all or friends only though). I should drink more water. I average like 6 cups a day. :/ I do get a lot of fiber though but I am not sure if it is coming from the right source. What I mean is that it is best to get fiber from it's main direct source like vegetables and fruits versus highlyl processed fiber bars, cereal, or even those fiber powder you sprinkle in your drinks and food, lol.

Not sure why you would cut out eggs to do this. Eggs are really good for you. I would suggest eating raw or lightly steamed veggies, fresh fruits, lean meats and dairy. Try to avoid processed foods or anything with more than 4 ingredients on the label.

Yeah, that is a good idea. You're right. Processed foods is out of my diet! Well, I will try. As I typed that I just realized I ate something highly processed. FAIL!

I had a Special K Protein Meal Bar strawberry flavor after my gym workout. I needed something with protein to retain muscles and I am on a school campus and I have class and it's a waste to go home and back on campus and parking is horrible! Sorry that was unnessary information.