Questions for women eating more than 1200 cal/day

Options
Hello! I currently eat approximately 1200-1300 calories/day, and I rarely eat back my exercise calories which means on the days I workout I have a huge deficit. I am really debating upping my calories/day, but what I struggle with is how you decide what to eat to reach 1500 (or more) calories/day? I am not usually very hungry with my current meals, but if I want to increase my calories I clearly need to add something somewhere that isn't total junk. What do you guys eat on a regular basis that keeps your calorie count up that is also healthy?

Replies

• rataliek
    rataliek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've found that good fats like avocado, nuts and natural peanut/almond butter are great ways to add quick calories without feeling overly-stuffed.
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I keep a bottle of Cesar non "lite" dressing on hand. I like peanut butter and nuts. I also add cheese (50%) and milk.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of low cal options, you can view my diary if you want. It should be open.
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I exercise a lot, so if I ate 1200 calories like MFP told me, I think I would keel over. I'm still losing weight with upping my calories...about 6.5 pounds in 9 weeks.

homemade peanut butter granola

peanut butter and carrots

hummus and veggies

cashews, peanuts or almonds

Greek yogurt 2% fat

granola/protein bars

low fat cheese

hearty soups and stews

ALSO: I usually eat more than 1500 calories a day and don't eat candy, fast food or most kinds of junk. I mean the occasional milkshake or whatever, but 1500- 1750 calories is usually filled on protein dense foods.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Handfull of almonds, Apple with peanutbutter ( No Salt), or 1 oz of cheese and Wheat thin crackers. Or just increase your portion size a little at each meal.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a balanced diet, then just eat more of whatever you're having. Otherwise, check your food diary and eat what you're lacking. Not enough fruits and veg, eat more of them. Not enough protein (keep in mind that MFP's default is really low), have more protein. Low on fat, have more fat.
  • txsgirlK
    txsgirlK Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm kinda confused about the whole how many calories I should eat thing. My profile states I should stay around 1200. Typically I do. I just started tracking exercise now too and see the deficit. Am I eating enough calories? Scared to up it because I had been pretty steadily losing 1-2 pounds but that has slowed a little in the last couple of weeks. I also think that even though I'm tracking food, sometimes if the EXACT thing I eat is not on there I pick the closest thing. Such as homemade meals. So I give it some room for error. I exercise, but not necessarily a hard workout. I do cardio (walking, kickboxing) about 4-5 days a week and do light weights with 5lb hand weights about 3 days a week.

5148197.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

PS 170 Is my first goal. I hope to eventually get down to about 140. :wink:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I eat between 2000 and 2600 a day depending on exercise.
    Feel free to look at my diary (it's public), I wouldn't say I eat unhealthily, but then it's not 100% clean or anything like that. I just eat whatever I fancy as long as I hit my macros and stay within calorie goal :)
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    What really helped me here was the bodybugg.

I too did 1200 strict, and I lost for ahwile until I didn't. I exercised too much (because I loved it) and just wasn't eating enough to support that lifestyle. I had negative health effects too like insomnia, loss energy etc.

When I got the BB I was shocked to realize I burned 2k just doing nothing. That combined with my exercise of 1000c daily (easy to do when your walking to and from places and doing fitness). I was way undereating.

When I upped my cals, based on what I burned that day, Anywhere from 1400-2300, the weight came off again steadily.

I also improved all the symptoms, had more energy and busted my weight lifting plateau.
  • Belladonna261
    Options
    Nuts, avacado, peanut butter, and hummus!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I just do what MFP was designed to do and eat back my exercise calories. I think if I knew how to manipulate my calories correctly I wouldn't have even looked at this site. Have you tried that? I have lost 19 pounds, maintaining lately but I love to eat and will work out so I can.
  • txsgirlK
    Options
    I just calculated my BMR at 1587.65. That times 1.55 for moderate exercise and I get 2460 for what I should be eating to maintain current weight. After some more calculations that were shown it figured I should be eating about 1960 calories for fat loss. Wow! I need to eat more. Healthy stuff of course. Maybe that's why the slow down is occuring?? I already feel like I'm eating all day long.
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think you've got some great suggestions here. A protein shake could also help you get to your calorie goal if you find yourself down at the end of the day.
  • corderdeb
    corderdeb Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Kimberbass-

Have you tried the "MY RECIPE" section? I just put all the ingredients in there and then divide it by the number of servings. Then next time I don't need to trying and make a guess.

"Yeah I'm kinda confused about the whole how many calories I should eat thing. My profile states I should stay around 1200. Typically I do. I just started tracking exercise now too and see the deficit. Am I eating enough calories? Scared to up it because I had been pretty steadily losing 1-2 pounds but that has slowed a little in the last couple of weeks. I also think that even though I'm tracking food, sometimes if the EXACT thing I eat is not on there I pick the closest thing. Such as homemade meals. So I give it some room for error. I exercise, but not necessarily a hard workout. I do cardio (walking, kickboxing) about 4-5 days a week and do light weights with 5lb hand weights about 3 days a week. "
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of processed foods! Really!
  • txsgirlK
    Options
    Thanks for the hint! I didn't know about that!

Kimberbass-

Have you tried the "MY RECIPE" section? I just put all the ingredients in there and then divide it by the number of servings. Then next time I don't need to trying and make a guess.

"Yeah I'm kinda confused about the whole how many calories I should eat thing. My profile states I should stay around 1200. Typically I do. I just started tracking exercise now too and see the deficit. Am I eating enough calories? Scared to up it because I had been pretty steadily losing 1-2 pounds but that has slowed a little in the last couple of weeks. I also think that even though I'm tracking food, sometimes if the EXACT thing I eat is not on there I pick the closest thing. Such as homemade meals. So I give it some room for error. I exercise, but not necessarily a hard workout. I do cardio (walking, kickboxing) about 4-5 days a week and do light weights with 5lb hand weights about 3 days a week. "