6lbs gained in 14 days :(

Options
So I went on holiday to Florida for 2weeks and have managed to gain 6/7lbs while being there. I was ecstatic when I weighed in at 9st on 10th February before I left and now I'm 9.6stone :(

It has taken me so long to lose that weight and more (26lbs altogether) and to put that much on in under 2 weeks is appalling. I didn't even think I ate that much either. I guess my eating habits totally changed though...I went from crackers,salad, soup and stir frys to fast food most days. I just had hoped that all the walking each day round the Theme Parks would have counteracted the food I ate...
Obviously not :(

I have some great friends on here but if there's anyone else who is good at motivating and support then please add me...I sure need the motivation and positivity- Feeling incredibly disheartened right now

Replies

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    A lot of that can be attributed to sodium intake and water weight. drink lots of water for the next few days and get back to eating right. I bet you'll see that 6lbs come off rather quickly.

Also, get in a kick *kitten* workout a couple of times this week!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Most if not all of that is probably water weight. Once you get back into your routine, it should come off quickly!
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate an extra 21,000 calories during those 14 days it isn't fat. Some may be but the majority of it will be water weight.

Get back to eating well and exercising and drink tons of water and you'll be fine in a few days. You'll see the weight come off pretty quickly!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 lbs in 10 days on my honeymoon (I was 132, 5'8) and then found MFP Aug 2009 and sorry no, its not sodium, max 2 lbs of water weight so just go hit the gym and hopefully you had fun.
  • Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    A lot of that can be attributed to sodium intake and water weight. drink lots of water for the next few days and get back to eating right. I bet you'll see that 6lbs come off rather quickly.

Also, get in a kick *kitten* workout a couple of times this week!

This. Fast food is loaded with sodium and can cause you to retain quite a bit of water.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate an extra 21,000 calories during those 14 days it isn't fat. Some may be but the majority of it will be water weight.

Get back to eating well and exercising and drink tons of water and you'll be fine in a few days. You'll see the weight come off pretty quickly!

She probably did. I know I did the math for myself (see my post above) and its very easy to eat 5000+ cals a day even when you think you are making better choices. Caesar salads for example can be 1200 cals each and lean-meat sandwiches are 800+...

I worked out for 45 min on the elliptical each day of my cruise and still gained 8 lbs so that’s 5000+ cals a day. Totally worth it though especially since it was hitting a BMI of 20 ish at the time, 21.5 on me now is much better.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I gained 8 lbs in 10 days on my honeymoon (I was 132, 5'8) and then found MFP Aug 2009 and sorry no, its not sodium, max 2 lbs of water weight so just go hit the gym and hopefully you had fun.

were all different. i gained 18lb in 3 weeks, i had 14lb of that off in 6 days just by going back to my usual eating habits and having extra water so it is possible for someone to retain a large amount of water
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    i also know several other women who are big water retainers
  • Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    i also know several other women who are big water retainers

I am one and it can be pretty bad.
  • SugarHighAbbie
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys :)
    Hopefully a lot of it is water weight but I did eat higher calorie food (not more food, just worse food). None of the parks would do caesar dressing on the side, it would come with like half a bottle poured over it. I tried filling up on the chicken and leaving croutons and a lot of sauce but all that heat (No sunshine in the UK lol) and walking made me a hungry gal!

I'll drink lots of water and get back into my Zumba twice a week so hopefully it will come off just as quickly as it went on!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    When I went to Vegas for a week the scale said I had gained 4 pounds. I was pretty confident it was water retention and sure enough within 3 days it was gone. When I did my official weigh-in at the end of the week I was actual down 1.5 pounds.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    Options
    just be sure to space your water out and not guzzle it in large quantitys to avoid water intoxication ( you would need to pound down 3 or more litres at once to do that, ive drunk 7 litres a day on a regular basis with no problems )
  • ImaSongbird
    ImaSongbird Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's natural to gain when we're on vacation and having a good time. Instead of being upset with yourself, just accept that you had a good time and now it's Back to Reality.

If you try 3-4 days of high protein/low carb (while drinking tons of water) it helps to quickly rid your body of the water retention.
  • SugarHighAbbie
    Options
    Knowing my luck I probably did consume all those extra calories without realising! I know the calories of almost everything I eat at home (not a very varied diet but it is low in cals and fat) yet I had no idea while over there.
    I bet a lot of the park food contained way more than I thought, and I snacked on crisps and icecream/lollies instead of fruit and low cal snack bars like I would at home. It just wasn't available.

It's all my own fault, I'm not passing blame for the weight gain...I just didn't expect so much of a weight gain haha!!